Manual gearbox / transmission oil change info required.

Fatbloke

Reaction score
Hi All
I want to change the oils in the transmission in my vehicle (2016 A3 2.0tdi 150 sportback quattro 8VF but getting minimal/mixed info from Audi.

As far a I understand it, there's the 6spd manual box, the front transfer box then via the prop shaft, the haldex and the rear transfer box. Is this correct?
I already have the correct genuine haldex oil and have seen it changed and the gauze filter done before so it should be straight forward.
The other 3 are the ones I get conflicting info on.

I called several Audi dealers today and got some/conflicting information. Getting info was like drawing teeth. Only one was reasonably helpful.

The 6spd manual gearbox requires G052 527 oil but I was told different amounts of 2.4 and 4 litres. Is this the correct oil and what is the required amount. Is there a better/cheaper alternative?

The front transfer box requires G052 145 oil. 1 litre required. Is this correct? Better alternatives?

The rear transfer box requires 1 litre of oil but I was told different info on the oil, either G052 145 (same as front transfer box) or G052 175. Which is correct? Better alternatives?

Sorry for all the questions but it's the first time I have done this on the car and want to make sure its correct.

Cheers

Dave

6 speed manual , 2.4L

Millers 7999 TRX Synth 75W 1L

Or

S l1600

Front transfer box 0.9 L
61mbwjpvVnL AC SX679

Also use for the rear diff .

Reactions: Nurkka and oilman
Front and rear diff, also known as the final drive according to Audi parts simply require a decent brand 75W-90 so I'd recommend a fully synthetic Fuchs/Millers/Castrol/etc as the list goes on and on and on. Front and rear diff service quantity is 1L for each, but probably a smidge less as this will be dry fill quantity. You'll require these for the front and rear diff oil change 4x N90281802 - f+r final drive drain/fill plug with seal M10x1x10.

For the gearbox as per above 2.4L to fill but that's again dry fill to will be slightly less at service time. Your correct with the part number with the full number being G 052 527 A2, again just have a look around and cross referencing as there are loads of suppliers so you don't have to stick with Audi supplied stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nurkka
Thanks for the info folks. I am a bit more at ease in not using the Audi oils. I did have a look at some oil sites to see what they recommend. This has raised a couple of additional questions.

Motul
Gearbox - Multi DCTF
Transfer boxes - Gear 300 LS 75w90

Fuchs
Gearbox - Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75w
Transfer boxes - Titan Sintopoid SAE 75w90

Millers
Gearbox - TRX Synth 75w80 (7765)
Transfer boxes - TRX Synth 75w90 (5252)

When looking up suppliers and prices for the oils it mentioned the Motul DCTF was for auto transmission. Mine is 6spd manual.

Also, Millers recommend 75w80 rather than 75w.

Can anyone shed any info on these please?

I went for Fuchs oil. I have used it before in my Astravan and it was good stuff.

I got Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE 75w for the gearbox (got extra to do the Skoda Octavia VRS too) and Titan Sintopoid 75w90 for the transfer boxes.
I also got Titan GT1 Pro C5w30 507.00 for both vehicles too.
Reasonable prices and fast service from LRT Lubricants.

Hi All

I changed the oil on the rear diff, haldex and gearbox. This was at just over 50,000 miles.
I checked the haldex was between 20 and 40 degrees C before I started with vcds (22 AWD).

Rear diff - oil was light brown but clean. Took around 1.1 litres.

Haldex - oil was mid brown. Had only been in for 12,000 miles (by dealer under warranty so not sure if gauze cleaned although they said it was). Took around 700ml. The gauze filter on the pump had a thin layer of the black jelly like substance. Not as bad as the previous time but still quite choked. I removed and cleaned the gauze with brake cleaner spray. Put all back together and filled with genuine oil. I ran the engine for a couple of minutes then topped up the haldex oil level. I finished by running the engine again and running the pump relearn function in vcds that ran the pump for a couple of minutes and finished successfully. I will now do the haldex service at 10,000 mile intervals. I have purchased Febi Bilstein haldex oil for next time.
Interestingly, I had some genuine haldex oil left from last time I was going to use but noticed it was cloudy and had small white jelly bits floating around in it. It seems that it is the oil that does this over time (maybe moisture contamination if its been opened) inside the haldex rather than it being the clutch plate particles although there may be some of that I there too to cause the black colour.

Gearbox - very easy to access and change the oil. Took about 2.1 litres. The oil that came out was very dark brown with quite a few silver particles in it so well worth changing it. From videos I have watched, it may be worth putting a magnetic drain plug in but I didn't have one on this occasion. Anyone know of one that's recommended?

Front diff - It was a bit difficult to access as it was further back under the car (ramps are 8" high and I am a big bloke) and although I could see the drain plug, I couldn't see the fill plug so I haven't changed the oil in that yet. Seemingly takes 0.9 litres and that's all the oil I have remaining. May get another bottle just in case it takes a bit more before I do this.

I reused all of the fill/drain plugs. They are all in very good condition and seated perfectly. I have ordered new plugs and haldex "o" rings for next time.

It was straight forward doing these so well worth doing yourself. Make sure the car is level. I used ramps at the front and sat the wheels on wooden blocks at the back with the jacks left in just touching the rear jacking points. Also make sure you have a 100mm or so syringe and a narrow tube as the diff and haldex fill holes are very small. I used a sealy 500mm oil syringe with a bigger tube for the gearbox.

Hope that info is useful for someone.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback on the gearbox change @Fatbloke
I have an A3 2.0 TDI 150ch with a 6 speed manual gearbox but no quattro, so I will use Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W (2,4L) oil, I was just wondering if there is a seal to change at the drain and fill plugs?
And also, the plug impression is Torx or XZNM16?

The plug is magnetic?

Thanks a lot for your help :)
Thank you very much for your help :)
Cordially.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback on the gearbox change @Fatbloke
I have an A3 2.0 TDI 150ch with a 6 speed manual gearbox but no quattro, so I will use Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W (2,4L) oil, I was just wondering if there is a seal to change at the drain and fill plugs?
And also, the plug impression is Torx or XZNM16?

The plug is magnetic?

Thanks a lot for your help :)
Thank you very much for your help :)
Cordially.
It's been a while but I think the gearbox plugs were hex. I don't remember changing washers (if that's what you mean by seal).
The original drain plug is not magnetic.
I also used the Fuchs Titan Sintofluid FE SAE 75W oil. So far its been fine. Now on 64,000 miles.

I changed the oil in the haldex with Febi Bilstein oil at 60,000 and cleaned the pump gauze. It's been fine so far. I filled with the oil, closed up the fill plug and ran the engine for a minute or so to let the pump fill up. I then topped it back up.
I then did the pump relearn procedure as I have done previously but as the car was still elevated, I decided to check the oil level again and it took more oil to bring it back to the level. I think it took another 50ml or so. Well worth checking again after the pump relearn procedure to make sure the oil is a the correct level. It will get done again at 70,000 miles.

I have invested in a mid rise scissor lift so will attempt to change the front diff oil soon. Hopefully its easier to get into the filler plug now.

Thanks for your answer, apparently sometimes it's an XZN or hexagonal type footprint, I'll see when I take it apart.
Yes I meant washers at the level of the plug, sorry for my English, I am French :)

Thanks for the explanations, I'll take care of it soon.

I don't have a quattro, so no need to drain the Haldex :)

Reactions: Fatbloke
Hi guys , can you advise where exactly are located the drain and top up plugs ?