Manual S3 - Clutch slip - recommendations on where to get it changed?

DMFs are just known to fail, and I would guess that driving style has a lot to do with the life of a DMF along with an element of luck. Personally I would fit a new one regardless of mileage then hopefully with a new organic clutch there wont be a need to open it up again for a long time.
I was advised against fitting a SMF by the garage who changed mine because it would make daily driving less enjoyable (added noise and vibration and general harshness, apparently).
I can imagine a SMF install being just like the 90s turbo cars and they didnt have this DMF rubbish which as I recall wasn't bad. It would take away the relative smoothness of the 8V though so that is probably what they meant.

That's a cracking price and whey better than Sachs own page, same part number so all is well.
Without abuse a new DMF and uprated clutch will likely outlast the car.

Reactions: winrya
That's a cracking price and whey better than Sachs own page, same part number so all is well.
Without abuse a new DMF and uprated clutch will likely outlast the car.
@msdmjb Are you going to get the DMF from autopartspro or have you got it already mate? I'm imminent for a clutch and remap package at awsome gti and want to do the DMF aswell.

After my smoke billowing out of the clutch incident the clutch has been good as gold, if I hadn't seen the smoke and smelt the clutch I would be none the wiser. So no I haven't bought it yet, when I do I will be replacing the DMF as well as it makes sense to only open it up once.

Reactions: Damo S and MikeParkin
Oddly my clutch has started to perform normally again now! All very strange.

I have sent Audi an FOI request as I would like to know how many clutches they have replaced in manual S3's under warranty and outside of warranty.

Not sure that data would tell you much.
Audi (VAG) will have replaced very few under warranty given their warranty terms, very few people would replace like for like if they had a problem with the first one. I suspect most failures (and this is a hard one due to different usage, driving styles etc) would be resolved outside of their network.

^ This. Under warranty probably wont be many given the ridiculous 6000 mile rule, and those who have gone beyond that having a hard time getting audi to pay up. under the "not fit for purpose" premise. I suspect that out of warranty will be few also, since other garages can provide the same service for much less money. It will be interesting to see what they come back with.

Anyone noticed a slight vibration from the clutch at the bite point ? Only happens after 5 minutes in start stop traffic. I cannot get it to do it when just driving around.

stock or uprated? stock no, uprated a tiny bit especially if still rolling backwards when pulling away after reversing. Its subtle though, i.e., my wife wouldnt notice but I have, if you know what I mean.

stock or uprated? stock no, uprated a tiny bit especially if still rolling backwards when pulling away after reversing. Its subtle though, i.e., my wife wouldnt notice but I have, if you know what I mean.

Standard clutch. Just realised it was only happening when still rolling forward slowly. Will monitor.

Sorry to resurrect a 2year old thread, but does anybody have any experience (good/bad/indifferent) with the RTS dual friction (OR) 5-Paddle clutch kits for the S3 8V please?

Many thanks in advance,