Manual v Auto DSG change

Mike.46

Reaction score
I didnt like the way my Golf would auto change even in manual mode, but, with the RS3 trying to do a manual change before the car hits the rev limiter is just as much a PITA, more so in the lower gears, if you just miss time 1-2nd the limiter seems to cut in for a few seconds

I didnt like the way my Golf would auto change even in manual mode, but, with the RS3 trying to do a manual change before the car hits the rev limiter is just as much a PITA, more so in the lower gears, if you just miss time 1-2nd the limiter seems to cut in for a few seconds
There's things i do not like about the 7 speed box in this new car, it's holding onto gears for too long in certain situations, and in other situations it's quick to change up which can be annoying.......

Reactions: Spinstorm and Mike.46
Whilst I do slightly miss the auto upshift on limiter in manual, overall I think its another feature where driver involvement has returned for the better. In the S3 8v it got a bit like PlayStation driving, just plant it, pretend your in control of gears and go. If anything manual on the old box was more about downshift than upshifts.
I'm still getting used to the engine note at which to change but l slowly getting there reducing the number of limiter hits. Frustrating when it does happen though, nearly headbutt windscreen!!

Reactions: Mike.46 and 8YARWY
Auto changing gearboxes are devil spawn.

@RSt3ve funny you mention about hitting the limiter due to the note - I drove a pre 8v RS3 when I had an M135i and the first few times I floorewd it I hit the limiter.

Reactions: RSt3ve

I’ve hit the limiter twice:

1. Didn’t realise I was in manual and was expecting auto shift so that was like hitting a wall

2. Got the timings wrong, which is actually easier to do than I was expecting. Upshifts aren’t as sharp to react to the paddles as I had expected.

That was relatively early on and I’ve adapted now.

The shift lights in the head up display in RS performance mode are useful

Reactions: Mike.46
Very hard to get the manual up shift right 1st -2nd gear, the box just doesnt respond quick enough, first time I hit the limiter I thought I had blown something, most cars hit the limiter and just sit there, the RS3 actually kills the motor until it drops back what feels like 1000rpm and about 2-3 seconds, it 'in theory' should just sit there going bap bap bap until you pull the paddle then change, but it doesnt.

I can now see why VW let the box auto change whilst in manual mode, it's the better option to be honest, manual mode is still better when pushing the car and being able to downchange approaching a corner or short shift it etc, with the Golf you just let the car do the upshift when heading for the red line, with the RS3 you need to change slightly earlier to avoid the 2 second cut......

I’ve hit the limiter twice:

1. Didn’t realise I was in manual and was expecting auto shift so that was like hitting a wall

2. Got the timings wrong, which is actually easier to do than I was expecting. Upshifts aren’t as sharp to react to the paddles as I had expected.

That was relatively early on and I’ve adapted now.

The shift lights in the head up display in RS performance mode are useful

Still adapting to the HUD, initially the rpm going from left to right had me steering a little for some reason, maybe it's an accident avoidance response, i'm used to it now but still not 100% sure of HUD, speedo is OK on its own, Nav set to just show directions is good, the rev counter strip would be good except it comes with 'M6S' which it doesnt need the 'M' or the 'S' *** or the temperature gauge, just rpm and speed will do thank you

'I think iv'e lost my rose timted glasses at the moment'

Reactions: cooperp
On my last car, I turned off the HUD, found it unnecessarily distracting and the novelty soon wore off.

Reactions: Mr Freeze, 8YARWY and Mike.46
Haha I was trying driving with Manual ( to connect fully with my new RS3…..went into 90 left and messed it up and hit Rev limiter.
since then decided Audi engineers are cleverer than me so I’ll stick to the drive modes

Haha I was trying driving with Manual ( to connect fully with my new RS3…..went into 90 left and messed it up and hit Rev limiter.
since then decided Audi engineers are cleverer than me so I’ll stick to the drive modes
Im thinking the VW system, or some of it was a better option, in manual I could do all the changing I wanted up and down and when the call to 'red line' it appeared I would just let the car do that upchange, I now see why VW did that, however, I didnt like the way the VW also auto changed down when in manual if you hit the 'kick' down at the end of the accelerator travel.

I wonder if there are options available with VCDS? I'll look sometime

Still adapting to the HUD, initially the rpm going from left to right had me steering a little for some reason, maybe it's an accident avoidance response, i'm used to it now but still not 100% sure of HUD, speedo is OK on its own, Nav set to just show directions is good, the rev counter strip would be good except it comes with 'M6S' which it doesnt need the 'M' or the 'S' *** or the temperature gauge, just rpm and speed will do thank you

my mrs does something like that - if she looks to the right when walking she veers off to the left, and vice versa

I’ve always thought HUD was a gimmick but having run with the rs3 for a while, I’m really liking it.

Whilst it has some configurability, it would be good to literally set exactly what you want shown and for that to be that, but you can’t. Not a big deal for me though.

Temp gauge is likely there for track so you can ease off if things are getting a little too hot…

Reactions: Mike.46

Sounds like you guys with the HUD on the RS3 have a bit more configurability with the HUD than the HUD on the S3. Wish I could see the rev counter and gears on my HUD. Great piece of kit though!

Sounds like you guys with the HUD on the RS3 have a bit more configurability with the HUD than the HUD on the S3. Wish I could see the rev counter and gears on my HUD. Great piece of kit though!
Unfortunately the 'RS' added bits come as a package of strip rev counter, gear position with too much other stuff, just the gear number would be OK and a temp gauge, as said above just to be able to select what you would like would be good

Reactions: RichK
There's things i do not like about the 7 speed box in this new car, it's holding onto gears for too long in certain situations, and in other situations it's quick to change up which can be annoying.......
I doubt very much that you would get anywhere near the 0-100 kph time using the box in manual mode, 1st is over and done so quick that getting that change correct would be more luck than good judgement, the box just doesnt change when you pull the lever,

I can understand that if your accelerating say in 3rd and pull the - paddle for a downchange the box has some work to do and this is not 'working with the gear box' but if I am accelerating in 2nd and request an up change it should already be in 3rd so why cant it change quicker? or when asked to?

VW/Audi have not nailed the DSG like BMW and Porsche have, it's neither as good as say a BMW M2 in auto or manual mode, an M2 in 'auto' mode is about 99% as good as a full auto box and much quicker than the VW/Audi box in manual

When in manual I have taken to switching between manual/auto depending on what i'm up to, going auto > manual is easy, just pull a paddle, going back to auto there are two options, pull and hold the + paddle which results in a change up or reselect with the gear selector which generally results in a shift or couple of shifts down, the latter is easier if say turning a tight 'T' and the intention is to floor it in 1st gear out of there.
All just adpating I guess after 4 years plus with a Golf R

Surprised to hear DCT isn't an instant change. It seemed to be on my PFL RS3, I certainly had no complaints about the box.

TX.

Surprised to hear DCT isn't an instant change. It seemed to be on my PFL RS3, I certainly had no complaints about the box.

TX.

Left to it’s own devices it’s annoying.

I have no trouble with manual usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left to it’s own devices it’s annoying.

I have no trouble with manual usage.

That’s amusing. I’m the other way around!

If you’re in the right mode the box reacts how I want most of the time - only caveat is wot and it sometimes kicking down a gear when I don’t want it to, but that’s more me than it…

I’ve only had the car since yesterday and most of it was driving in traffic but in RS Performance mode it holds the gears way too long. As someone else said it probably sounds like you can’t drive.

I’m getting used to it as everyone does with a new car and hopefully, I can get it just right for some pops and bangs. It does make them when driving but they are a lot quieter than my old 8V.

On the HUD - I like it. It needs time to get used to but not having to look down is great.

One super stupid issue I have noticed is the infotainment screen is at just the right angle to be impossible to see due to glare when the sunroof is open. I had to close the blind a few times to see what was on it!

Incidentally, the dealer thought I had tuned my 8V as it was so loud when he started it up!

Reactions: kayemill and NevMan
I’ve only had the car since yesterday and most of it was driving in traffic but in RS Performance mode it holds the gears way too long. As someone else said it probably sounds like you can’t drive.

I’m getting used to it as everyone does with a new car and hopefully, I can get it just right for some pops and bangs. It does make them when driving but they are a lot quieter than my old 8V.

On the HUD - I like it. It needs time to get used to but not having to look down is great.

One super stupid issue I have noticed is the infotainment screen is at just the right angle to be impossible to see due to glare when the sunroof is open. I had to close the blind a few times to see what was on it!

Incidentally, the dealer thought I had tuned my 8V as it was so loud when he started it up!
I put it in manual in RS Performance mode, for me RS Performance mode is the 'Drivers mode' and I don't want the auto box getting in the way.

For the driving I do it's either in Dynamic D or RS Performance M. Never been a fan of S.

I put it in manual in RS Performance mode, for me RS Performance mode is the 'Drivers mode' and I don't want the auto box getting in the way.

For the driving I do it's either in Dynamic D or RS Performance M. Never been a fan of S.
As said it holds on to gears for far too long in RS Performance mode and 'Manual' is the better option, but, turning left off our main road onto our country lane and booting it I find very hard to judge the rev limiter, even pulling the paddle ar about 5500rpm can still have the car touching the rev limiter and holding back for a second before changing up, to 'fix' this as I take the left I pull back on the central gear selector which pops it back into auto, it then changes up nicely before again pulling the paddle to regain Manual.

Also on the 'Auto' theme in 'Individual' mode and Dynamic drive/DSG settings the gearbox changes up at a lower rpm and doesnt hold on as long as in Performance mode.

Still on the Auto theme in any other mode you can pull the central gear selector back for DSG 'Sport setting' and either leave it there or then use the paddles and it will stay in Manual and not revert back to Auto :)

Personally I prefer manual. Much more reliable and cheaper to repair if it does go wrong.

Did you P/X your 8V in the end?

Personally I prefer manual. Much more reliable and cheaper to repair if it does go wrong.

Unfortunately true manual’s are getting rarer. Not sure why you mentioned this on this thread of RS3’s that don’t even come in manual

Reactions: 8YARWY
Did you P/X your 8V in the end?
Yes, I did. The problem with getting a new car is that you're too tired to enjoy it! Unable to sleep with excitement and my 3 hours there and back all I wanted is sleep. Even today I want to go for a drive but I’m knackered!

• Haha
Reactions: 3vans, kayemill and Terminator x
Yes, I did. The problem with getting a new car is that you're too tired to enjoy it! Unable to sleep with excitement and my 3 hours there and back all I wanted is sleep. Even today I want to go for a drive but I’m knackered!

So you mean to tell us you've had your new RS3 since last month and no you tube video yet ?

Have we seen any pics yet also ?

Reactions: Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
So you mean to tell us you've had your new RS3 since last month and no you tube video yet ?

Have we seen any pics yet also ?

He’s shy Snake……..

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Freeze and Snake Pliskin
He’s shy Snake……..

1,000's of miles covered in all those Dealer demo cars - and not a single mile in his own car ... that is shameless lol :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Mr Freeze