Map or no map ? That is the question ...

mikes3

Reaction score
Evenin all.

Been doin some data logging this weekend, gettin to grips with VCDS. Anyway, I bought my 2003 S3 a couple of years ago now, and bought it private from some guy in Yorkshire. He told me it was completely standard, no maps, no engine mods etc etc.

Well, I've done a few test runs this weekend, and every time I have managed to log 209/210 g/s air mass @ 6000 rpm in 3rd & 4th gears. Multiply that by 1.25 and I get around the 260bhp mark (I know this is a rough estimate, based on everything else in the engine being up to scratch). So my question is how do I tell if it has had a remap ? And, which code is on it ? Is there a way to revert back to the standard map if I wanted to ?

A rolling road run will tell you the output for sure. If you hook up to any of the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda forums RR day you should get a couple of runs for £30 or so.

If it is chipped, no idea if you can tell which code it is.

260 would point to a stage 1 re-map on a 225 bam. you seem fairly local-ish to the north-west, get in touch with jason @ more-bhp.com about getting your car back to standard map if that's what you want. he's charging £175.00 for a re-map: probably a lot less to de-map(?) it.

Well, my intention was to get the thing mapped at some stage ... but if I have no idea what map is on it now, I just want to know if its possible for someone to put it back to normal, then put on a map of my choice. Confusing I know, but I have a feeling some of the running troubles I'm having/had could be down to this (if of course, it has been mapped). :)

if it's logging 210g/s then that's mapped for sure, a standard car would only be getting 180g/s or so tops.

I'd say 210g/s from a visably standard car is infact pretty high! Most don't reach that kind of flow.

Log block 115 which shows actual vs requested boost, that'll tell you what kind of boost it's running, which will confirm 100%

Get a 3 inch tip fitted and take it to badger5 for some tweaks if you want more power. A member saw something like 19hp unleashed over a stage 1. With smoother delivery and more top end grunt.

I agree with prawn, your car is definitely mapped if your getting over 200g/s, 210 which your getting is good...

As long as your happy with the way the car drives I'd leave it be, you won't improve on those figures, not enough to notice,

Save your money...

yeah I know what you're saying - its strange because I bought the S3 after driving a Golf TDi around for 7 years (90 bhp I think !) - so the power jump was huge when I first got the car (me thinking it was 225 all along) - well all I can say is that at the moment I'm down on power, its definately not 260 at the wheels (boost leak somewhere still). I emailed Awesome GTi last week, they told me to bring it down (do they have a dyno there ?) so I need to save some beer tokens. Thing is, if I come to sell the car and I don't know what map is on it, would that be a big put off ?

260 would point to a stage 1 re-map on a 225 bam. you seem fairly local-ish to the north-west, get in touch with jason @ more-bhp.com about getting your car back to standard map if that's what you want. he's charging £175.00 for a re-map: probably a lot less to de-map(?) it.
doesnt matter what engine they both map the same?