Map update

DaveW

Reaction score
I got the prompt for the full map update yesterday. I chose the online update option and it didn't take long to download and install, unlike on my old A6.
Well impressed with the process, it's hardly dented my data allowance (I use my S9+ in carphone profile) so I'm wondering if it uses the eSIM?

Apparently when you connect a device or SIM, all data usage goes through that connection. So when I got that notification, I detached my SIM so that the eSIM was used. However yes it was very quick, I was similarly impressed. I don't remember it working that quickly in my A4, even with a 4G signal.

Reactions: DaveW
Got another one today, 2nd update in just over 6 weeks. I think you only get 5 in 3 years don't you?

I'm not sure how enforceable that is? If the car prompts you to update the maps, and you do it, and then a while later Audi say you can't have any more updates because you've used up your allowance. Can't see that realistically happening, although what do I know.... I'll just do what I did in the A4, and update the maps as soon as the car tells me there are updates available. For me, it's not really even a consideration not to do it.

Got another one today, 2nd update in just over 6 weeks. I think you only get 5 in 3 years don't you?
Have had the car just over 2 weeks and like you have had 2 update notices, first was a couple of days after getting the car (assumed this was triggered by me being allocated as the owner and the car switching from "Guest User" mode) and the second one early last week. I suspect the second update may actually be a refresh of the first update because someone somewhere found an error that needed correcting. Audi tjhemselves say the updates come every 6 months so if you get to use all of your allocation before 2.5 years ownership then they should have fun trying to explain how you have used all your allocation.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you have to agree to anything to get the in car downloads to work. You just set it going, it doesn't say "this is download 1 of 5" or anything like that. So maybe that wording/restriction only applies when going through the website to download the maps manually. Either way, surely it is not really very enforceable. If I update UK only, and then separately update just France, is that two updates, or one? What if the maps get updated while the vehicle is in with the dealer? What if I do the UK from my car, and France from the PC? There are so many combinations, it just doesn't sound very feasible to track all this, especially given their poor form with other software elements like apps, etc. Perhaps it is like the audi connect "subscription" which is only for 3 years and then you have to pay for it, but in practise they just extend it for free.

On the subject of online updates, but not map related. I've now noticed when playing from an Amzon playlist and returning to list view, the list position is returned to the currently playing song position and not the first song in the list, which was a pain in the ****, especially in a long playlist!

I hadn't noticed they changed that, but that's handy as it was a real pain! That must be related to updates to the MyAudi app on the phone, as I think the only updates the car gets over the air are the maps.

I hadn't noticed they changed that, but that's handy as it was a real pain! That must be related to updates to the MyAudi app on the phone, as I think the only updates the car gets over the air are the maps.
Ahh of course . At least the phone app stops defaulting back to km instead of miles now!