Marmite.......

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
It seems that i have started a bit of a collection of 19's and now have 3 sets. Most recent acquisition was a set of newly refurbished genuine Audi speedline splits which had been done in black. As i already have a set of black wheels i thought i would have a go at some wheel repainting! I know the result is a bit marmite, but it's hardly cost me anything and i think i have now perfected my spraying technique and i like the results.

So the story.........

Which to choose:

image_zpsb9369442.jpg

Then to split them down which caused me great pain as i forgot i had the M8 spline drive set in the tool box but took me 24 hours to suss this out.....

image_zpsa0e0ca57.jpg

Bit of 120 grit to get rid of the laquer and there's no turning back......

sanded_zps734f1137.jpg

First coat of primer and its all looking ok.....

primed_zpsc45c9d4b.jpg

Two coats of primer and i can't wait to see what it looks like:

trialfit_zps17fea452.jpg

3 coats of gloss white and when its dry, i can set it in situ:

trialfit2_zps84f1c525.jpg

Next to see if i like it enough to start the other 3 wheels:

cartrial_zps6e80997c.jpg

Yep!

Centre caps all done, bolts painted black, and Audi logo's painted black. First rim back together:

onefinished_zps6ff8cc97.jpg

All done - 2 coats of primer, 3 white, and 3 laquer.....

alldone_zpsc9a583ca.jpg

Now going to leave them for a week for the laquer to go off!

Not 100% perfect but i did it all myself with a rattle can in the garage so wasnt expecting it to be immaculate, but all in all, I am very pleased!

MTM's everyday of the week, white wheels on ibis car look strange, needs contrast James :)

I agree, those MTM's are lovely. Put them on.

Good job though!

Thanks for the comments!

I dont like the diamond cut MTM's on white cars either though. If i don't sell them, they will be going anthracite me thinks. I went for the black rim and black bolts detail to give me the contrast. I will let you know if it works on Saturday morning when i have wasted £52.80 on getting the tyres swapped over!

One more set of 19's and i can have a different one on each corner........... Now THAT is class. :arco:

Why do you have one white bolt? I perosonally quite like them and think they will look ok on your car but... the black lips will make the tyre profile seem larger and the alloy smaller. Why not paint the barrels a metallic grey or something to create a bit of contrast between the tyre and the rim?

Thanks for the comments!I dont like the diamond cut MTM's on white cars either though. If i don't sell them, they will be going anthracite me thinks. I went for the black rim and black bolts detail to give me the contrast. I will let you know if it works on Saturday morning when i have wasted £52.80 on getting the tyres swapped over!One more set of 19's and i can have a different one on each corner........... Now THAT is class. :arco:
Or a set of Fatso Gumballo tyres on each corner....

The white bolt was the one bolt in the entire set that was too badly damaged to remove! Good attention to detail skills!

I agree with the comment about making the tyre profile look large - its something that i have been considering. I do fancy them machine polished but the quotes i have been getting are ridiculous to machine polish (£300+!). Also been toying with the idea of spraying them some kind of silver but havent got round to it yet.

I like the cross wires in white mate they look well,keep them

and sell me the MTM's for £15 each ?

Why do you have one white bolt? I perosonally quite like them and think they will look ok on your car but... the black lips will make the tyre profile seem larger and the alloy smaller. Why not paint the barrels a metallic grey or something to create a bit of contrast between the tyre and the rim?

+1. Looking sweet though bud, good spray job!

Yep!

Centre caps all done, bolts painted black, and Audi logo's painted black. First rim back together:

All done - 2 coats of primer, 3 white, and 3 laquer.....

alldone_zpsc9a583ca.jpg

Now going to leave them for a week for the laquer to go off!

Not 100% perfect but i did it all myself with a rattle can in the garage so wasnt expecting it to be immaculate, but all in all, I am very pleased!

I think these look amazing!!
Wish i had the balls to do that to mine haha

I must admit they look stunning, however once they have tyres on the black outer rim will make the alloy look smaller, and the tyres bigger :-/

What about a chrome effect powder coat or hyper silver outer with anthracite/metallic grey middle piece.

Then sell the MTMs and spend the money on booze and tabs.

I thought about the antracite option but given the fact that the MTM's were going to be anthracite, and i wanted to escape the norm, I decided to have a WTF moment and see what happens! If they look guff, then i will dip them and do something else! £30 and a few hours down the drain.

Full respect to you for having the guts to do that, but as said it has to be the mtm's

Lets not forget I have a set of black 19" BBS CH which look the absolute (if not a little overdone these days) mutts nuts IMHO........

Everyone says go with the MTMs but surely not in diamond cut silver???

Really like the look of them. I think that the black rim making the wheel look smaller will work in your favour as sometimes 19s can look a tad large on a 8P

whether you put em on or not they look mint mate if you decide to get rid of the speedlines one day let me know :)

James...those Speedlines are amazing.

It may not be everyone's taste,but the finish is stunning,and I think you've done a superb job.

Reactions: Kelza
Thanks Alex.

And just to appease dubdemand......... I just painted the last white bolt black!!

hi james, get the MTM's done in anthracite with the MTM log's put in white, they'll look :wub:
then we can start to talk about a swap for my oem rotors (maybe :blush:)

It appears that I am reasonably handy at wheel refurbishment myself so give me a few wheels and we can talk. ;0)

Well done James!! Looks like you have done a really good job there. Keep up the good work mate.

i like them all. put the wheels like that on the car, if you don't like put the mtms. after all they are all sitting in your garage!

You could overcome the 'big tyre' illusion by painting a thin white pinstripe on the outer edge of the black section of the rim, nearest the tyre.....not sure what it would look like, but why not put a thin pinstripe tape piece on one wheel to see first, so no current paintwork is damaged and you can see the effect ?

Might work............

Paint the MTMs white and then send then to me. Loving white on white!

Good job by the way, you've got skills!

I like the cross wires in white mate they look well,keep them

and sell me the MTM's for £15 each ?

Well if you get addicted to heroin/crytstal meth or bubble in the future that offer will still stand to help fund you habit

lovely mate top job

Last edited:
Thanks guys - definately fitting them Saturday am and standing by my conviction that white on white will look the mutts. If i wanted to be conventional, i could fit one of the 2 sets of S3 18's or stick with the 19" CH's!!

Pictures to follow..........

You will MMS pictures chef. Don't panic. :laugh:

Reactions: Kelza
Well to everyone that said that they would look ****e, you are 100% correct. Fitted one this morning and it looks total guff so took it off again and will split them down again later.

Pretty f'd off but **** happens and I know they can be rectified. Watch this space.........

Well to everyone that said that they would look ****e, you are 100% correct. Fitted one this morning and it looks total guff so took it off again and will split them down again later. Pretty f'd off but **** happens and I know they can be rectified. Watch this space.........
Shame to hear that!....

cant knock a fella for having a go :salute:

no pic's of the wheels on james?

Nope. Think s3 on 17's with a 60 profile tyre......... Guff.