Matrix Lights affecting other drivers?

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Hi.

So...nights are in again and the wonderful Matrix lights are doing their thing. Missed the interior lighting too Anyhoo! It appears I'm getting flashed literally every time I'm using them.

Is this simply other drivers in the distance (I'm talking far here btw) just getting a bit paranoid or is anybody else experiencing this? I physically watch the beam bend around them as they approach but I am definitely getting flashed quite a lot from drivers on other side of road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been flashed in mine, perhaps they need adjusting by the dealer if its happens a lot.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Not driven in dark enough conditions for the matrix lights to actually activate yet, I’ll have to see how other drivers react when they do!

I got flashed for the first time last week, but I had adaptive high beams on and I think the angle of the road (it was a dual carriageway) meant that the sensors hadn't picked him up in time, so I ignored the flash and continued (as I suspect the next time it would be fine). Having said that I haven't really had need to use them much yet as I bought in April. Winter months should allow a bit of trial and error I guess

Never been flashed in mine, perhaps they need adjusting by the dealer if its happens a lot.

Do you use them in all road types including motorway?

I got flashed for the first time last week, but I had adaptive high beams on and I think the angle of the road (it was a dual carriageway) meant that the sensors hadn't picked him up in time, so I ignored the flash and continued (as I suspect the next time it would be fine). Having said that I haven't really had need to use them much yet as I bought in April. Winter months should allow a bit of trial and error I guess

Yeah on dual carriageways, it's mainly truckers that flash me in the distance. Imagine it's their elevated position that affects their eyes.

I'm not saying it's every car. Not at all. Most pass me fine and even cars in front of me must be appreciative of the extra light I'm putting down for them on my side haha. I'll see what happens as time progresses. Had a few flashes last winter but not many.

Only used them once and did get flashed by a Lorry so guess it is the height of their cab that causes a problem?

Only used them once and did get flashed by a Lorry so guess it is the height of their cab that causes a problem?

Interesting tbh. Got a lot of respect for C license guys. Got one myself. I'm thinking...Matrix might be optimal for B roads or dark sectors/stretches. I mean, LED lights are morrrrre than adequate for dual carriageway +. The Matrix do light up road signs well but it's no biggy.

Reactions: Riko0073

I have had mine over a year and used them on all types of roads. I think they are pretty well set up and respond very well to different circumstances.

I have had mine over a year and used them on all types of roads. I think they are pretty well set up and respond very well to different circumstances.

I've seen the beam on drivers side go over the barrier on mine. Might get it looked at.

Only use the Matrix auto on A and B roads, never had any issues with cars but have been flashed a couple times from HGV's.

Great lights though.

Only use the Matrix auto on A and B roads, never had any issues with cars but have been flashed a couple times from HGV's.

Great lights though.

Awesome arnt they? Fire and forget

Reactions: JRO
I find people flash even on my wife's A1 which has xenon lights. I think it's just because they are brighter than the norm. I get flashed in my A4 which has normal LED lights. The adaptive beam assist is a bit off sometimes. It flashes on and off sometimes which makes it seem like I am flashing people. It can also be a bit slow to react to older cars with dim lights but that'll sort itself as those cars die off

Is there a setting for these for cars that drive on the right hand side or on the left hand side within the depths of the vehicle settings?

Is there a setting for these for cars that drive on the right hand side or on the left hand side within the depths of the vehicle settings?

I'd thought of that. I think there is Euro setting. Anyone?

I tend to get trucks flashing me when my matrix lights are on. I tried to put it down to them being impatient when there cab crests a hill and their lights haven't come into view yet therefore the matrix hasn't adjusted yet. Any other motorists that flash just do so because the matrix lights are bright and not that they are being dazzled by them!

Reactions: Daz Auto and Thundercliffe81
Not with matrix lights...

Not with Xenon on Sport or SE either, although according to our experience and AUDI UK CS you don't need to adjust standard xenons, can't comment 100% on Matrix.

I tend to get trucks flashing me when my matrix lights are on. I tried to put it down to them being impatient when there cab crests a hill and their lights haven't come into view yet therefore the matrix hasn't adjusted yet. Any other motorists that flash just do so because the matrix lights are bright and not that they are being dazzled by them!

That's exactly what I think mate. They are quite bright.

I find the same as the others ^. Also have noticed that as soon as I suddenly accelerate on a dual carriageway with my matrix lights on auto they instantly light up sections of the road causing other drivers to hit the brakes. Is this normal?

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I find the same as the others ^. Also have noticed that as soon as I suddenly accelerate on a dual carriageway with my matrix lights on auto they instantly light up sections of the road causing other drivers to hit the brakes. Is this normal?

I just think it startles some drivers. I've had people put their main beam on then off again as if they think they've hit it by accident. I think a little bit of education by some means wouldn't go a miss for road users as cars become more advanced.

I've had cars drive more confidently with my Matrix lights lighting the road ahead for them. Honestly. I think after starting this thread, it's just random how everyone behaves in reaction to these lights.

Agreed, I personally find it quite funny how they get startled as you make your entrance on to the road, makes the car feel like it has real presence with the matrix lights doing their magic!

Yeah, it really impresses how you can light up the road for other drivers and how the technology is working with the conditions. Well worth the extra for the lighting package :)

Agreed, I personally find it quite funny how they get startled as you make your entrance on to the road, makes the car feel like it has real presence with the matrix lights doing their magic!

Yeah, it really impresses how you can light up the road for other drivers and how the technology is working with the conditions. Well worth the extra for the lighting package :)

Yeah light and vision pack was a bargain

Reactions: cuke2u and syed123
Been out a few times, just for a drive and never been flashed, amazing lights

I do say the matrix lights are a MUST HAVE on the B9. They are are brilliant. I live in the country so they really help in the dark country lanes.

Reactions: cuke2u and Thundercliffe81
I do say the matrix lights are a MUST HAVE on the B9. They are are brilliant. I live in the country so they really help in the dark country lanes.

Yeah same mate. No brainer to spec them!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I'm out in the wilds as well. The adaptive xenons on my current car have been great on the twisty Scottish roads I'm on every day so I'm really looking forward to the Matrix lights when the car arrives, taking it all to a whole new level.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and Thundercliffe81
That's exactly what I wanted to hear, gets me through the next 6 weeks of drumming my fingers on the desk and checking myAudi :)

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, gone and ScottishA4B9
Had a biker put his hazards on this morning who I was following as my lights seem to be dazzling him, of course I then dipped them but not sure why they didn't pick up his tail light?

It was definitely in auto mode but he was sitting quite high (big touring bike) and a bit in the distance.

I love the matrix lights but does always make me a bit nervous if they are blinding other drivers?

I had a trucker flash and honk me on a country road on the way to work yesterday so went to turn off my matrix lights-they weren’t even activated! Don’t know if the LEDs are just inherently bad for truckers or what...

I got flashed a lot on the continent when using my matrix lights :( I'm almost certain that they don't adjust when driving on the right-hand side.

Last edited:
I got flashed a lot on the continent when using my matrix lights :( I'm almost certain that they don't adjust when driving on the right-hand side.

Nah they are just a bunch of jealous Johnny foreigners

I had a trucker flash and honk me on a country road on the way to work yesterday so went to turn off my matrix lights-they weren’t even activated! Don’t know if the LEDs are just inherently bad for truckers or what...

Trucks are the only people who've flashed me so far, I've noticed it usually happens when there's a central reservation or barrier. I wonder if the radar is confused by the divider?

I'm also constantly thinking I'm blinding the car in front but no-one's put hazards on or anything, maybe I just need to trust the lights! They're incredible tbh.

I have a 40-mile commute home in the dark, 20 of it over a climby twisty B-road here, and going over the hill the amount of extra visibility when there's someone in front is amazing.

Trucks are the only people who've flashed me so far, I've noticed it usually happens when there's a central reservation or barrier. I wonder if the radar is confused by the divider?

That's what I've thought before. I imagine it's because the divider blocks the headlights so takes a bit longer for the camera to recognize them and because their cab is up higher it affects them more than a normal car?

That said, the example from yesterday had no central divider and I only had low beams on at the time so I've no clue what he was annoyed at!

Reactions: Fridarey

They're just very bright. It's random for me. Some days I'll get lots of drivers flashing, others it'll be fine. Has a impact on a crest or dip in the road. It does make very conscious.