Matrix Lights affecting other drivers?

Similar to a late switch from full beam by a human then. I am sure that occurrence is far greater than being flashed by having Matrix headlamps.

Similar to a late switch from full beam by a human then. I am sure that occurrence is far greater than being flashed by having Matrix headlamps.
Yeah it's got to be, when you see them working it's micro seconds for them to dim in the certain areas.

I've had 2 BMW's with their intelligent lighting pack (the first car with xenon's and the second car with LED's) which work in the same way but I was never flashed by other drivers. With the Audi I do get flashed fairly often.

I agree with your comments, the survey done by the RAC is hardly objective and the article rather sensationalist..

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I agree with your comments, the survey done by the RAC is hardly objective and the article rather sensationalist..

Sensationalist! Great shout. That's exactly what they're trying to do. It's such a drop in the water isn't it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
I suspect all 15% drive 15 years old crummy cars with one of their halogen headlights not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Or stick xenon bulbs into halogen units...

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Thundercliffe81
I get flashed maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I can kind of see how oncoming lorry drivers might wrongly get some full beam in the eye if the central reservation confuses the radar. When there's a bit of haze/mist in the air you can actually see this (the beams not turning off reliably).

On the other hand, I think some other drivers just flash because it's brighter than they expect (even though the beams aimed directly at them are off). I see this myself - sometimes oncoming cars' lights look extremely bright even though I'm not being dazzled or prevented from seeing what I'm doing.

A problem all cars with adaptive lights have (not just matrix ones) is the correct sensitivity of reacting to oncoming traffic. My old Volvo on Scottish windy roads would always take longer to dip its lights than was polite if I let it decide for itself. This is nothing to do with headlight brightness, but does make people flash more.

Reactions: NoParticularPlaceToGo
They are full LED lights but with the added bonus that you can have them on 'auto full beam' and then the lights adjust automatically when it senses other car lights on the road and blanks out certain spots so not to glare other drivers but still maintaining maximum visibility in other areas....that's in my simple speak anyway!

Living in the Highlands I would have loved to spec matrix lights on my factory build A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI 190 Black Edition but money was tight so as a compromise I only got the 'High Beam Assist' added on to my standard LED lights @ 150 notes.. Now comparing Matrix lights versus LED lights + High Beam Assist, I'm guessing both would give a similar light output on a pitch black road with no other traffic? (assuming High Beam assist is activated in both cases).

For cheapskates like me who just have High Beam Assist with LED lights, are you also getting flashed regularly?

Not sure this adds anything useful, but I didn't spec any lighting options and I've never been flashed.

I specced Matrix lights on my A4, use them all the time when dark and have never been flashed with them. Guess some drivers have sensitive eyes!