Matrix vs Standard LED design

R.A.G

Reaction score
Just curious if there is an external difference in the design of the two, previous Audi's with Matrix where very obviously different, some with an additional visible array of diodes. I can't see much difference between the two on the B9 A5/S5?

I have the Standard LED. From what I've seen the Array looks almost identical apart from when in operation. The only major difference visibly is the Front Indicators simply flash on the standard LED's rather than the swoosh motion that comes with the Matrix. The Rear LED's swoosh on both options.

Thanks LeedsDriver, that's confirmed what I thought.

On the standard, the inner lens (closest to the grille) is "fake" but on the matrix the inner lens is actually a lens. That's the only difference aside from the indicator sweeping action!

Reactions: DanB8, EDDIE12 and R.A.G
On the standard, the inner lens (closest to the grille) is "fake" but on the matrix the inner lens is actually a lens. That's the only difference aside from the indicator sweeping action!

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that on non matrix cars.

Are they same power as the standard LEDs?

I believe the power is mandated by law, so they should be the same. The only difference is the technology to turn off individual LEDs within the cluster.

That's my understanding anyway!! If you look on the configurator, you can see the difference slightly:

LEDs

Reactions: R.A.G
I believe apart from the sweeping indicator the only external noticeable difference is there is a slight variation on the side profile design inside the unit from regular to the matrix led headlights, I have matrix in my s5 and this is the headlamp up close

kE3jUSl.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This must be the first Audi Matrix headlight that doesn't have its own unique design with multiple external LED's, I feel a little short changed lol.

Definitely feel short changed now.... they look identical!

Tbh I'm a fan that they look just like regular ones as I bought them for the functionality and seeing them in action is cool I'm sure on the current facelift of the a6 the matrix and normal led lights are identical too

Like the a4 the new a5 led lights look the same to the matrix ones and the only one that looks different is the Xenons

I'm pretty sure the Matrix Headlights on the B9 A4 are quite clearly different to the non Matrix LED's, they have a main lenses and then 3 individual diodes in each cluster.

A4 Matrix
IMG 3876

A4 Non Matrix LED
IMG 3877

Almost - but you can see in mine, my inner "lens" is just a shroud around some sort of ribbed reflector, whereas in the matrix A5 photo above there is a domed lens atop

I haven't actually checked if the "fake" one emits any light... e.g. high beams or front foglights! I'll check when it stops raining (although being in Manchester that could be a while)

Almost - but you can see in mine, my inner "lens" is just a shroud around some sort of ribbed reflector, whereas in the matrix A5 photo above there is a domed lens atop

I haven't actually checked if the "fake" one emits any light... e.g. high beams or front foglights! I'll check when it stops raining (although being in Manchester that could be a while)

Haha, thanks mate, it's certainly not a query worthy of braving the elements for!

And... just sayin', but in my opinion the dot-matrix style LED headlights remind me of two things:

Dotmatrix

and

Teeth

To be honest the pack with the matrix lights was decent value as it included the matrix lights extended led pack and the virtual cockpit for 650 (at time of order in October)

To be honest the pack with the matrix lights was decent value as it included the matrix lights extended led pack and the virtual cockpit for 650 (at time of order in October)

Very true, I'm honestly not losing any sleep over it, more curious why all the other models have different designs for the respective Matrix units but not on the A5.

Perhaps they've managed to improve the packaging of the technology which now negates the need for the fussy design and I'm actually grumbling over a technological advancement lol!

Very true, I'm honestly not losing any sleep over it, more curious why all the other models have different designs for the respective Matrix units but not on the A5.

Perhaps they've managed to improve the packaging of the technology which now negates the need for the fussy design and I'm actually grumbling over a technological advancement lol!

I just had a quick check and the a6 led headlights and the matrix ones also now look identical

I guess Audi decided to package it in some cars to look like the regular led headlights now, strange they have it so different in the a4 though

And here is a shot of the non led headlights on the a5

12586a9ce2379e6d53e190041bb2a166.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm having this dilemma too, not sure if the A5 2017 I'm looking to buy from an online auction has regular LED or Matrix LED lights.
Can someone tell from these pictures (I know they're bad quality, but I can't get better from this auction)?
Also, its turn signal in left (driver's) rearview mirror is broken so I will need to replace it, are those different for cars with regular LED from ones with Matrix LED lights?

Hi everyone, I'm having this dilemma too, not sure if the A5 2017 I'm looking to buy from an online auction has regular LED or Matrix LED lights.
Can someone tell from these pictures (I know they're bad quality, but I can't get better from this auction)?
Also, its turn signal in left (driver's) rearview mirror is broken so I will need to replace it, are those different for cars with regular LED from ones with Matrix LED lights?

View attachment 245727 View attachment 245728
I'm sure if you ask an Audi salesperson to have a look they can find out! just use the reg. I recall when they went to value mine a while back all the option came up automatically.

If you have the reg add it to the myaudi app.

without the keycode you cant control/ track the car but it will show all the optional extras.

I would recommend matrix if you can get them / afford them.

Both my current a5 and my old one had the usual led's, my s3 had bi-led's so 4 dipped beams in total and it made a huge difference, hardly used manual full beam, didn't need to, road signs didn't blind me like they do now (in full beam), but more importantly with my current lights (and same with old a5's) there's a huge blindspot in the light right around where you are sitting when looking forward; the rear right area of the car in front. If you're not on a flat road you can lose light in front of you completely if cornering and going down hill whereas the S3's matrix lights would compensate so well for it that you wouldn't think it had more than 2 beams.