Matt’s Defender Build Thread.

I

We like a wee bit of the great outdoors too Matty Lad. I’ve got a roof box too pal, as you know (just have to unpack mine to pitch-up, lol). S3 (like your old one) is a 4x4 as well buster (do Eibach do a raising spring kit? That could be fun). Love this pic during an S3 assisted hike around Pen-y-Fan in the Brecon Beacons. Was HOT that day too (last summer) - first pint was taken in via osmosis at the end of 13 miles of extreme up and down. Lol. Planning the next one right now...

View attachment 180487

View attachment 180488
S3 lift kit and some BFGoodrich all terrains!! she'll go anywhere :racer:

your roof box looks real nice on your car pal, always been a fan of a nice sleek looking one. One plus to my hardshell tent compared to the normal fold out canvas ones is it can almost act as a really slim, flat roof box, I can still close it down with the sleeping bag pillows and spare clothes in there, pretty handy with a SWB 90 where space is tight at the best of times!

all of wales is untouched for me, although I do fancy Crib Goch and onto Snowdon

Reactions: Jimbob76 and NevMan
We were at Carnoustie and Arbroath today in 22 degrees. Highlight though was seeing a McLaren Senna in Starbucks near Dundee :sunglasses:
I don't know what I'm going to do when actual summer comes, low 20s is enough for me already!!
Had a quick stop at The Green Welly Stop, was manic..some nice cars about to, nearly very bit of factory black trim had been swapped to carbonara fiber
20190421 063940 1512x2016

Reactions: Bristle Hound, RossN14 and NevMan
bumped into two other landy campers, they both knew me through instagram but had never met before, I spotted them driving through Glen Etive away from their campsite from my first Munro top, by the time they had read my message they had just pulled over to message me about seeing my motor in Glencoe, had a night at their camp.
Shows the difference between hardshell tents and softshell tents.

IMG 4525

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiNutta, Bristle Hound, RossN14 and 8 others
the famous Buachaille Etive Mor
Stobdearg1

Reactions: AudiNutta, Bristle Hound, countwilliam and 7 others
That is just a hill :whistle2: ......for mountains visit the Canadian Rockies.

Canadian-Rockies.jpg

Reactions: Bristle Hound, RossN14, josul and 5 others
That is just a hill :whistle2: ......for mountains visit the Canadian Rockies.

Canadian-Rockies.jpg
Funny you mention that...that's our family jolly in September, been talked about for 3 years, sadly have no landy and digs with me though!!

Reactions: NevMan and Audi Bairn
September is a great month to visit that area, Matt, and a great drive from Vancouver, if you take either the Jasper route or Banff route or a round trip. If only one route the Jasper route is the best. Ignore the time shown as the starting point is Victoria and you have to take a ferry from there.

13-route-from-victoria-to-squamish_wells-gray_banff_jasper.jpg

Reactions: NevMan, Audi Bairn and MattSedg
September is a great month to visit that area, Matt, and a great drive from Vancouver, if you take either the Jasper route or Banff route or a round trip. If only one route the Jasper route is the best. Ignore the time shown as the starting point is Victoria and you have to take a ferry from there.

13-route-from-victoria-to-squamish_wells-gray_banff_jasper.jpg
so im not entirely sure where we're even going yet, all I know is we have a rental car, probably a big ol truck and think we're there for just over 2 weeks....september...is there snow about? my sister is in a panic because she likes hot places....i dont, im praying for snow haha

Reactions: NevMan, Audi Bairn and Sandra
so im not entirely sure where we're even going yet, all I know is we have a rental car, probably a big ol truck and think we're there for just over 2 weeks....september...is there snow about? my sister is in a panic because she likes hot places....i dont, im praying for snow haha
@Flying Scotsman will tell you better than I, but the snow generally starts falling in the likes of Whistler (north of Squamish on that map) around September. But there’ll be bits of that journey where I suspect you’ll always come across snow.
Absolutely stunning part of the world!

Reactions: Sandra
For what it’s worth here’s the McLaren.....
bc3cfbee7116b7b4c3c7606df1b75efc.jpg
e56224a2ed1af943a0db64bba8be9a05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jimbob76, NevMan and 3 others
For what it’s worth here’s the McLaren.....
bc3cfbee7116b7b4c3c7606df1b75efc.jpg
e56224a2ed1af943a0db64bba8be9a05.jpg

nice car, nice car indeed...but you'd struggle to sleep on the roof of that pal :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Snow, will not be an issue in September and it will generally be pretty warm to hot. Mid to late October it can be a wee bit iffy for snow

Thought I would pop in here and say hi to @MattSedg and all.......pic from a Porsche Experience Day last Thursday, 2.5 hours with a Porsche pro driver and a chance to see what the new toy can really do, including learning how to slalom up an ice hill as well as all the fast stuff :)
IMG 2324

Reactions: Bristle Hound, BarryG79, AllanG and 7 others
Thought I would pop in here and say hi to @MattSedg and all.......pic from a Porsche Experience Day last Thursday, 2.5 hours with a Porsche pro driver and a chance to see what the new toy can really do, including learning how to slalom up an ice hill as well as all the fast stuff :)
View attachment 180565
cars looking mint pal, all set for a scottish winter roadtrip with your new skills, would look smart with a roof box :icon thumright:

Reactions: Daveotto and Jimbob76
cars looking mint pal, all set for a scottish winter roadtrip with your new skills, would look smart with a roof box :icon thumright:

Second that - looks mint and like what you've done with the wheel colour respray @Daveotto :thumbs up: Hope you’re enjoying her mate - very classy understated example you’ve got there.

Roof box on a Cayman has been done, not sure I’d call it a sleek look though, lol. Looks to be long enough to sleep in @MattSedg, and you wouldn’t even need a ladder to get in :whistle2:

B071B026 7F1D 4BA4 9F30 1485AB103D8C

Reactions: Jcbmally, Daveotto, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Second that - looks mint and like what you've done with the wheel colour respray @Daveotto :thumbs up: Hope you’re enjoying her mate - very classy understated example you’ve got there.

Roof box on a Cayman has been done, not sure I’d call it a sleek look though, lol. Looks to be long enough to sleep in @MattSedg, and you wouldn’t even need a ladder to get in :whistle2:

View attachment 180676
Ñow a panamera hybrid with a roof box, that's the ultimate road tripper

Reactions: rvtb101 and Jimbob76
Ñow a panamera hybrid with a roof box, that's the ultimate road tripper

Now that’s more like it. Wasn’t a fan of the original Panny but the new version is tidy. How you finding sleeping in the roof tent on your ‘Fender buster?

24CA99B2 3333 4A36 8F04 1DB2A3A8E573

Reactions: Lehn and NevMan

Surprising amount of luggage space in the Cayman, 2 cabin bags or one 15kg suitcase in the front, one cabin bag in the rear and room for coats and small bags around the cabin etc.

Friend of mine done the NC150 anticlockwise and Skye in a Boxster last week and have got that on my must do list for Scotland

Reactions: MattSedg, Audi Bairn, Jimbob76 and 1 other person
Just been up to Scotland again myself, stayed in Plockton and pretty much toured the west coast and had hikes around Torridon and Skye, had temps of 24, lowest was 16, we were really lucky with the weather.

Stopped off at the place we are getting married in December as well, pic attached, Audi roof box Getting some use.

Attachments

• 52F20A73-899A-4ED0-995A-0AB84824CE9C.jpeg
    52F20A73-899A-4ED0-995A-0AB84824CE9C.jpeg
    982.9 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, Sandra, MattSedg and 4 others
Just been up to Scotland again myself, stayed in Plockton and pretty much toured the west coast and had hikes around Torridon and Skye, had temps of 24, lowest was 16, we were really lucky with the weather.

Stopped off at the place we are getting married in December as well, pic attached, Audi roof box Getting some use.
missed this post, glad you had a good trip, enough hiking up there to last a lifetime and more

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
I didn’t take the pics Matt but this beaut (Nessie or NES1E) was
aea3d891f0a1323253575d03574a873c.jpg
fd25914337f3bac8288acd7c237d3e7c.jpg
spotted at the Etape event, Inverness at the weekend and thought I’d share

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jcbmally and MattSedg
I didn’t take the pics Matt but this beaut (Nessie or NES1E) was
aea3d891f0a1323253575d03574a873c.jpg
fd25914337f3bac8288acd7c237d3e7c.jpg
spotted at the Etape event, Inverness at the weekend and thought I’d share

now thats a minter, and a great reg!
met a fella local to me who made his own heritage editon just like that from scratch, but with his own tweaks to it

guess who might be off on another scottish trip this weekend! opened a can of worms by doing my first walks up there!!

Reactions: Sandra and Audi Bairn
now thats a minter, and a great reg!
met a fella local to me who made his own heritage editon just like that from scratch, but with his own tweaks to it

guess who might be off on another scottish trip this weekend! opened a can of worms by doing my first walks up there!!
Superb! Where you off to this time around mate? Weather’s good today although a bit cooler than last weekend.

Reactions: MattSedg
Superb! Where you off to this time around mate? Weather’s good today although a bit cooler than last weekend.
if its cooler than last weekend and still sunny im even happier pal, cooler weather = longer walks for me!

probably heading up friday after work, walking saturday and sunday with a small walk monday morning then back home. Probably loch lomond/glencoe area again.
Going to get costly with the Defenders drinking habit but hey, lifes for living :wtf:

Reactions: TonkS3 and Jcbmally
E
if its cooler than last weekend and still sunny im even happier pal, cooler weather = longer walks for me!

probably heading up friday after work, walking saturday and sunday with a small walk monday morning then back home. Probably loch lomond/glencoe area again.
Going to get costly with the Defenders drinking habit but hey, lifes for living :wtf:
Excellent Matt, let me know if you need any more ideas.
The Loch Lomond road can be mobbed with tourists or regular accidents - plenty of other options to avoid that though.

Reactions: MattSedg and Flying Scotsman
E

Excellent Matt, let me know if you need any more ideas.
The Loch Lomond road can be mobbed with tourists or regular accidents - plenty of other options to avoid that though.
saturdays walk is on the hills Above Loch Tay, so will be driving to there/near there friday evening, just need to find a quiet spot where I can set up the tent, after that walk its probably back to Glencoe to walk the ski resort hills, bit of snow has come down on the high tops i've been told

saturdays walk is on the hills Above Loch Tay, so will be driving to there/near there friday evening, just need to find a quiet spot where I can set up the tent, after that walk its probably back to Glencoe to walk the ski resort hills, bit of snow has come down on the high tops i've been told
Ben Lawers? I’m sure you’ll find loads of wild camping spots along there. I’ve been to Aberfeldy, Kenmore and Killin loads but not wild camping. Lix Toll garage at Killin has a tracked Land Rover too.
http://www.lixtoll.com/

Reactions: MattSedg
Ben Lawers? I’m sure you’ll find loads of wild camping spots along there. I’ve been to Aberfeldy, Kenmore and Killin loads but not wild camping. Lix Toll garage at Killin has a tracked Land Rover too.
http://www.lixtoll.com/
Yeah a round of 5 munros over Ben lawers, meeting 3 other folk for a linear walk....might have to go to Glencoe for Friday night though, forecast a clear night and I fancy another bash at some astrotography!

Yeah a round of 5 munros over Ben lawers, meeting 3 other folk for a linear walk....might have to go to Glencoe for Friday night though, forecast a clear night and I fancy another bash at some astrotography!
You enjoy the beautiful scenery and walking we have here in Scotland Matt. Drive carefully and enjoy. :)

Reactions: MattSedg and Audi Bairn
Sounds great! If your looking for somewhere quick for lunch or dinner try Ben Lawers Hotel (a favourite haunt for walkers) on A827 8 miles east of Kenmore or The Courtyard at Mains of Taymouth or The Kenmore Hotel (last two in a Kenmore itself).

You any plans to climb Schiehallion, just north of Ben Lawers. Useless fact of the day: https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle-2-15039/the-mountain-that-made-scientific-history-1-466221

Reactions: MattSedg and Sandra
Sounds great! If your looking for somewhere quick for lunch or dinner try Ben Lawers Hotel (a favourite haunt for walkers) on A827 8 miles east of Kenmore or The Courtyard at Mains of Taymouth or The Kenmore Hotel (last two in a Kenmore itself).

You any plans to climb Schiehallion, just north of Ben Lawers. Useless fact of the day: https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle-2-15039/the-mountain-that-made-scientific-history-1-466221
well, by mentioning Schiehallion you've made my mind up which hills im doing, ben lawers round saturday, another 4 just north of ben lawers range on sunday, and Schieahallion to finish monday morning! will find a astro shot spot somewhere around loch rannoch i think!

You enjoy the beautiful scenery and walking we have here in Scotland Matt. Drive carefully and enjoy. :)
thanks Sandra, need to find a way to move up there!!

thanks Sandra, need to find a way to move up there!!
You would love it here Matt, we do get occasional rain, lol. Probably weather much the same as you. Safe trip. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:
well, by mentioning Schiehallion you've made my mind up which hills im doing, ben lawers round saturday, another 4 just north of ben lawers range on sunday, and Schieahallion to finish monday morning! will find a astro shot spot somewhere around loch rannoch i think!
Ah brilliant! Great spots for pics along Loch Tummel especially at Queens View.

So it was a very wild night in Glencoe, windy and cold made for only a few hours of sleep. Didn't even fancy getting out of the tent for a astro shot which would have been awesome

Glencoe tent
Glencoe pano
Buchaille

Reactions: Jimbob76, AudiNutta, BarryG79 and 9 others
Love that roof tent. Wonder if I can get it to fit on the s3 roof rails.

Love that roof tent. Wonder if I can get it to fit on the s3 roof rails.
If you put roof bars on your rails it would go on!! Think it's somewhere around 50kg