Maybe another slight engine tweak...

yay... remember to turn the boost down on mbc... before its checked for afr's - step change in flow terms on this one to PE

I've piped straight to actuator mate, you can see it in the last pic. I'll leave it like that for now until such a time as we can address...

That turbo looks MASSIVE compared with the PE, and its not like the PE is small!

Dont you think its going to be a bit too much for a road car? On a 1.8 i cant see it spooling until waaaay up the revs?

Also, what MAF are you using?

That turbo looks MASSIVE compared with the PE, and its not like the PE is small!

Dont you think its going to be a bit too much for a road car? On a 1.8 i cant see it spooling until waaaay up the revs?

Also, what MAF are you using?

Lag is a concern I admit, however the PE is laggy, and I don't suspect that the FP will take much longer to get rolling. Only time will tell ultimately.

The MAF is an issue that will need to be addresses. I am planning to use an RS4 MAF tube as the MAF was already maxxed out on the PE

thats hauuge compared, epic work dude, guess I need to get my water meth in the rs4 lol

quiet you... It was everyone asking for a 'quick spin' that killed it lol

Thats exactly the problem, the wheels dont spin, the power just goes down so the clutch is the next point for death. But Im going to be a good boy from now on (read save up for a sintered paddle for a years time) :eyebrows:

:laugh:

Not looking for sympathy but I think I might start mounting my old clutches as trophies. lol

you could probably make another table out of my old flywheel ;)

OK then, so, a bit of an update on this one...

This 'Nice 'n easy' turbo change may have gone very slightly south. And by slightly, I mean a lot. lol.

Coolant lines made - £52. Ouch. Could have done without that to be fair, but hey ho, not the end of the world.

Anyway, coolant lines fitted, everything looking ship shape and Bristol fashion.

Start her up.... to be greeted with a large amount of blowing. ****.

Blowing is coming from the turbo/manifold flange which runs gasketless with a dowell to aid sealing. Turn it off, decide to leave it.

Bright and early the next morning, turbo back off to see what's what. I had suspicions that the turbo may not have been seated properly or something.

All back together, blowy again. Booooo.

Popped to Bills and got an IHI flange gasket. Fitted the turbo with that (After grinding loads of it away). Blowing gone. Sweet.

Took it out for a test run to be greeted with sporadic boost control. Logs didn't look that good either to be fair, airflow wise and I couldn't quite figure it out. ~240 g/s wasn't looking good from what looked to be 20 PSI boost. Not good at all.

Got home last night very grumpy (mainly due to confusion), shouted at the missus, then played Modern Warfare 3 and had a Domino's to cheer myself up.

Drove Bumble to work this morning, and the manifold/turbo has now started blowing again, despite having the gasket in there. So, something obviously not quite right.

I popped in to see Bill to get his take on the problems.... and was greeted with a confused, quizzical even, look (which made me feel better in a way).

With regards to the blowing - it seems that, as with most of these type of hotsides, the flange has become warped and is not perfectly flat. Resolution - have the flange machines flat. Simple enough.

With regard to the sporadic boost control, the assumption now is that the penny valve isn't sealing the wastegate channel quite properly and sometimes it is allowing air to bypass the turbine even when shut. The wastegate itself be virtue of it's setup has some up and down travel, and where about it is denotes what boost the car does or doesn't make.

Bill (who I love dearly today - I must buy him a present), has come up with a solution for both of these problems in one go. He has an old hotside for the FP on the shelf, which is also warped and has a dodgy, sticky wastegate. However, he also phoned CR Turbos who have said that they can rebuild the wastegate with a new assembly, and machine the flange flat on the spare hotside.

So the plan (already in motion), is to get the hotside to CR for the work to be done, get it back, fit the new hotside, refit the turbo.

The hotside will be going today, and this given me ample time to extract the FP Green in it's current for from Bumble and take it up to Bill's which will at least keep the missus happy(er).

With regard to the less than expected airflow from the 20 PSI boost.... Turns out that, doing proper logging with VCDS, that it wasn't 20 PSI boost at all. Worth noting that this is where liquid gauges fall a bit flat, you can't monitor both boost and airflow together.

Turns out that it is in fact making 235 ish g/s from 1.05 BAR which is 15.2 PSI. Bearing in mind that I am planning on running this turbo at much higher boost than that - maybe up to 2 BAR dependent on how it behaves. Basically 'Whay hey' boost is tempting....

Anyway, so now we play the waiting game...

Thanks again Bill.

what a ****ter Wellyboots!

Still, chin up lad, it'll be pretty epic when it's finished!

what a ****ter Wellyboots!

Still, chin up lad, it'll be pretty epic when it's finished!

Oh, I'm OK now mate. I don't let things get me down, and even when I do it's not for very long.

Like I said to Bill, it makes a really cool noise, so it's not all bad.

Its never simple when s3's are involved mate, hope it goes smoothly from here.

Ooooh, just had an email back from Forced Performance:

Hi Alex,

I have been able to pull a compressor map for the old style Subaru GREEN turbocharger. The older version just used a standard Garrett 50 trim compressor wheel which flows roughly 49lb/minute and that turbo was rated at ~500whp. Attached you'll find the compressor map, if you have any other questions just let me know.

Thanks,
Amber.

Compressor map:

50 Trim T04E.jpg

49lb wheel.. I remembered that bit - lol

christ I am getting old.... seems eons ago I ran the FP's (green and red)

LMAO @ 500whp from one of these.... Only in America

49lb wheel.. I remembered that bit - lol

christ I am getting old.... seems eons ago I ran the FP's (green and red)

LMAO @ 500whp from one of these.... Only in America

I know, I did giggle myself. Maybe that stands for wicked horse power? Maybe waffle horse power?

Also, is was the best part of 5 years dude - that's not exactly recent. The Green was sooo happy to see some oil.

WP = wishful power :eyebrows:

Are you going to have this mapped again at bills? Any ideas on what sort of changes will be needed?

Are you going to have this mapped again at bills? Any ideas on what sort of changes will be needed?

Yeah she'll be going back to Bill's for more goes on the dyno. That car must hate the dyno by now...

Hoping that the boost will be taken off MBC and run on N75 control which would be nice and help driveablility and ultimately boost control.

Obviously fuelling tweaks will be required, possibly a 4 BAR regulator to aid the fuel required.

I knows it's another expense but might it be worth using a EBC like the apexi one?

Will you need any tweaks to how the WMI delivers due to the higher boost?

Oh and did you manage to find a solution for the TB issue that was caused by the WMI?

WMI will stay as is basically, it's got a massive nozzle on there, and comes in at 12 PSI. Should be fine.

No, I just fitted another TB and then forgot all about it. I do want to test a possible fix.

I knows it's another expense but might it be worth using a EBC like the apexi one?

Apexi maybe over kill... there was an LCR at the dyno day using a Turbosmart (cheaper) one IIRC and its boost curve was flat as a pancake... I think it was that one... Bill will know...

That said there shouldn't be any reason why the N75 can't be mapped

<tuffty/>

Welly man you do love drama mate. I know you got angry etc but i remember seeing a sad welly a few weeks after your hybrid was done coz you was bored. But now look at you! Excited again with your new project! Good luck with the new bits i can only just about understand what you lot are on about. :)

P.s. Dane - You spelt official wrong in your sig :p