Maybe another slight engine tweak...

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
OK, so we're off again.

Maybe my last turbo change wasn't the last after all.... :-/

So, the plan is to install the old Forced Performance Green turbo from Bill's Ibiza race car onto the S3.

Hopefully should be a nice easy one (famous last words...) as everything is a pretty much identical fit to the PE1820, it's just a substantial amount beefier inside.

Not sure of exact specs of the turbo, however it is definitely another rung up the ladder towards hossing.

The turbo needs an actuator and a bit of work to make the actuator actually fit onto the turbo, however that won't be end of the world stuff.

Plan is to keep all the current hardware, 630s, and all the IHI hardware on the engine should just be plug and pray.

I've got a few snaps which I will put up tomorrow...

Ooowww very nice.

What gains will you be looking at from it mate?

Btw you ever going to be happy with little old bumble? haha.

Reactions: s3gazz
Sounds good look forward to see pics etc, I love my s3 ATM revo map and tip etc has transformed it

Sounds all very interesting can't wait see where you going with this !!!
is your top mount for sale ????

I'll be keeping the PE1820 turbo for the time being, just in case....

Also, I will literally be removing one turbo and replacing it with another, so all the gear that is there already will stay.

A few photos of the FP Green:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Reactions: s3schofield and Inertiauk
Shouln't you put some brakes on the car first???LOl

For the last time my brakes work fine!! The fluid didn't, however I did just win 3 x 500 ml bottles of Motul RBF500 for a tenner, so all shall be good.

New oil pump arrived today as well, genuine Audi, brand new, £45 delivered.

I LOVE ebay!!

Nice welly. Other than rods, is there any internal work done to your engine?

Nice welly. Other than rods, is there any internal work done to your engine?

Nope, it's basically a complete AGU engine. AGU pistons, IE rods, AGU crank, AGU head. It did have new valve guides exhaust side in the head about 6 months ago, but that's just general wear and tear.

The 1.8T is a good solid engine apart from the rods.

Allegedly, the AGU is a higher compression ratio than the APY or BAM, but never have seen any evidence to confirm or deny that.

YES Welly!

And bad Welly! now Im going to need more power to keep up!

I wonder why you have all those actuator springs Bill... nothing to do with me...

AGU is 9.5-1

AMK,BAM & APY are all 9.1-1

Why did they do this then? Was it a case of over engineering?

And to Welly, that looks like a good swap, the thing looks bigger than my head lol.and i had trouble counting all the blades (struggle past 5 see) so no remap required to get the most out of it? And whats bill bought to replace that beast?

I can only assume that the lower compression ratio in the 210/225 engines was for reliability due to the higher boost, possibly to get the 225bhp in the BAM engines they were getting to much detonation, remember these engines need to run on crappy low octane fuel. If you run good high octane fuel like V power then it wouldn't matter.

Now whether it's the AGU head or Pistons that give you the higher Comp ratio I don't know, but potentially the higher Comp ratio will give better performance.

Heads are all the same.

Most 1.8T's are 9.5:1. Only the 210/225 S3/TT/CupraR engines have the lower compression ratio, and its the pistons which are slightly different (deeper dish)

Bill is now glad that I mentioned the S3 running AGU pistons.... he's been wondering what the missing link has been with my engine for some time, and this is what it turns out to be... lol.

Bill is now glad that I mentioned the S3 running AGU pistons.... he's been wondering what the missing link has been with my engine for some time, and this is what it turns out to be... lol.

Indeed this is the missing link on why no other car with similar mods achieves the same power/response his did on hybrid..
The extra 0.5 CR point is this missing "link" I am convinced of it

bad news for S3's on 9:1 compressions tho

OK, so had some of the gear ordered started to turn up.

Decided to do the oil pump and fit my new sump whilst changing the blower over. I am convinced my oil pump is a bit tired.

5.jpg

Hopefully Bill can sort me out an actuator from Forge as they simply don't seem to understand what I want...

OK, new goodies been collected today...

The actuator :) yay!

7.jpg

Ready to be dropped off to Bill later on...

Indeed this is the missing link on why no other car with similar mods achieves the same power/response his did on hybrid..
The extra 0.5 CR point is this missing "link" I am convinced of it

bad news for S3's on 9:1 compressions tho

Bad news for S3 owners perhaps,

AWESOME news for me though :)

Reactions: vince, A3 turbo
Ooowww very nice.

What gains will you be looking at from it mate?

Btw you ever going to be happy with little old bumble? haha.

soz pal I fooookin pressed it by acident the dislike post stupid I phone i don't now how to delete it now so I like it soz again

don't these big turbos take a long time to spool up? what torque are you running at 2500 rpm?

don't these big turbos take a long time to spool up? what torque are you running at 2500 rpm?
want torque at 2500rpm buy a diesel

Bigger turbos by their nature (bigger) will be slower to get goign for sure, but when they do, they Rip...
different driving style between k04 and a BT (many flavours of BT tho.... BT can be anything you want of it, very spec dependant)

Nope, it's basically a complete AGU engine. AGU pistons, IE rods, AGU crank, AGU head. It did have new valve guides exhaust side in the head about 6 months ago, but that's just general wear and tear.

The 1.8T is a good solid engine apart from the rods.

Allegedly, the AGU is a higher compression ratio than the APY or BAM, but never have seen any evidence to confirm or deny that.

Now he tells us, just after I had my hybrid fitted........ sound like that is the reason for the 'Mutant' BHP :arco:

Just to add the difference between a comp ratio of 9.1 and 9.5 is about 6 psi and that's on a n/a car so run the car at say 25psi boost and you're talking an extra 10psi on the piston! It's quite a big gain!

Well, I started work on the old girl last night.

Cracked off my gammy old sump and removed the old oil pump... Not in as bad a condition as I thought to be fair, in fact in very good condition.

Engine does get pressure better on cold start with the new pump I must admit, but other than that, no difference.

Awaiting the new turbo's arrival, which will be done today hopefully, then I can crack on and fit the old girl :)

OK then....

Firstly, thanks Bill for getting the FP sorted for me on Friday :).

I popped into Badger5 on the way home on Friday... to be greeted with a very happy smiley sight:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

All finished and built ready to go...

Came across the first problem testing the actuator - the ****** actuator was leaking. Sealed that up and was then all fine, so fingers crossed it will remain that way.

Started work on the car on Friday night fitting the blower... This was going to be a nice easy job - only a couple of hours or so.

Yeah right.

Got the PE1820 off in about 20 mins... Top mount for the win.

17.jpg

A few comparison shots...

Hot sides:

13.jpg

Comp Side:

14.jpg

The PE1820 is still spot on condition wise, really impressed with it as it's been running some pretty hefty boost at times. Been a really good turbo.

16.jpg

Then started fitting the FP Green in it's place.

Initially, the comp side is a county mile bigger making physically getting it behind the engine a bit of a nightmare, but not an insurmountable problem.

Got it in place and on the manifold. A lot of things now very tight around it fitment wise, namely the matrix hoses.

Went to do the oil drain pipe up underneath the turbo in the same way that it used to fit the PE1820. Greeted by epic fail. The comp housing is sooo much bigger on the FP that the pipe wouldn't physically fit. ****. That put me in a bad mood.

My mate had come up to do my top mounts whilst the car was in the garage. He has a van with a compressor and air tool on board so it makes it much easier. During this, he managed to lose the nut for the top mount 'somewhere' in the engine bay... and it was nowhere to be found. Even worse mood.

Anyway, after having a paddy and my mate chipping off, I turned the oil drain pipe around on the pipe by undoing the union and fitting it in reverse, which works fine. Result.

18.jpg

Bolted the turbo to the manifold, and the downpipe on... being able to see the end and starting the engine, disaster strikes again.

The FP and the PE have different sized coolant inlet/outlets. The PE's are M12 and the FP's are M14. ****. The realisation dawns on me that I will have to have the coolant lines completely remade and refit them. Really bad mood now.

Took a break from the car Yesterday, and went up last night to take off the coolant lines etc ready to have them recreated today.

And then I found the nut!! Wooo hoo. Top mounts are not done and dusted, awaiting coolant lines today, and then we should be cooking on gas. (Hopefully).

yay... remember to turn the boost down on mbc... before its checked for afr's - step change in flow terms on this one to PE