mayo but no coolant loss

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Hi guys, I recently noticed a small amount of mayo build-up inside the oil filler cap. I haven't noticed any coolant loss so I wasn't too worried, but when I checked the oil level at the weekend I also noticed some on the end of the dipstick, which is more concerning.

Could this be a symptom of the head gasket going? Coolant level is fine, and once warmed up there's no obvious sign of any steam from the exhaust.

A little bit in the oil cap could be down to condensation in the cam area but not sire what it means when it's on the dip stick, apart from HG.

I hope it is something as simple as condensation or something that's not HG.

But just think how clean you can get that engine bay if the engine is removed.

What about the dip stick holder being cracked??

I would think it's more than likely condensation do a oil and filter change as soon as you can an then keep your eye on the oil and coolant level as well just to be sure better safe than sorry if you haven't already id say do the PVC mod and fit a catch tank this helps massively with condensation and a generally cleaner breather system

Nobody has asked you how you use the car yet....

How do you use the car dude? short stop start journeys? or lots of miles at a time?

If it's short journeys, despite the car getting up to full temp, it takes a fair while for all the condensation formed inside the block to be burned out of the oil, as you start the engine and heat is produced, condensation forms inside the block and effectively waters the oil, when the oil gets up to temp around 100 degrees or so this water just steams away through the breather systems.

Lots of short journeys where this isn't allowed to happen can result in the 'mayo' emulsified oil build up on the oil cap of even a perfectly healthy car.

Thanks guys, all good stuff there as usual.

Car usually does 12 miles each way to work, taking me 20mins each way, so not what I'd call a long journey.Today I've driven from Nottingham to Peterborough for work, but that's only done every other week. I think given the very cold weather recently that this may be a contributory factor.

I did the PCV mod & installed a catch-can a couple of years ago, so can rule that out.

I also thought of a broken dipstick tube, but I replaced that at the same time as doing the catch can mod, so don't think it's that.

Scott - good point re cleanliness of the internals!!

I'll keep an eye on it for now and see if if improves as the weather warms up (I'm sure it will at some point). Next oil change is due in early March so will get sorted then if not sooner.

Thanks guys.

I'd say just 12 miles each way in very cold conditions is enough to get a build up on the oil cap. Try checking it after your long journey next time and see if it's cleared at all

Agree with Prawn, the short journeys and the cold weather will build up condensation, giving you that effect, if you get a chance, have a nice long drive to heat the car up properly and let the heat circulate, this should sort it for you.

Well, looks better now after going to Peterborough & back (around 50miles each way) today. Not perfect, but better. Think it might just be the cold & short trips but will keep an eye on it.

Keep an eye on it, my bet is just due to the limited use of the car and cold weather.