Mer Scratch & Stone Chip Repair Kit

a3daveo

Reaction score
Hi people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif new to the forum! I'm impressed, you people really seem to know what your on about.

Has anyone tried 'Scratch & Stone Chip Repair Kit'? I know you can get it from Halfords and was wondering how successful and easy to use it is. I seen it advertised on TV and it looked simple enough but the guy was a pro. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I want my a3 spotless!!

Halfords Mer

daveo, i bought mine of QVC, i know sad but it wasnt available in halfords at the time, The qvc one came with a video that goes through the stages of using it, not sure if halfords one does, Must admit i messed my old car up a bit, got to keen with the scartches, and polished too much, my mate is a car sprayer and he laughed when i bought it as he said he could have given me some for free, as its the same stuff as what they use in the trade,( well he does ) but under a different name, My advice would be BUY it, watch the VID and if possible practice on an old wing from scrap yard, I found it very good on light and minor scratches but on very deep scratches you have got to be careful like i said messed my old audi up ( didnt watch the vid lol ) and took the old paint back too far.
If qvc do it again buy it off them as you can send it back if you then get worried about using it.

Thanks for that bainsyboy. I think Ill buy it this weekend after I look on the QVC website. I'll try not to be too eager and see how i get on. After a bit of practice I will limit it to one or too area then if things go Pete Tong I won't be shelling out for a full respray!! Thanks again

if you can get an old wing etc to practice on then you should have no probs, when doing your car, The video will tell you what you can and cant do with it, I think if i can remember they say that if its down to the metal then basically you need to spray, its all in the video, my mate also suggested that rather using the paper strips in the kit to touch paint up, to use a broken match stick instead and use as little amount of paint as possible and not to rush it as thats when it usually goes pete tong , Good luck

Dont forget to take some before/after pics daveo.. Looking forward to seeing the results!

like i said daveo, if its down to the metal, you will still be able to notice it, but only just, i have done two stone chips on my tt and unless i point them out, my mates cant see where ive been, Other scartches that i had on my 100 that i done i could not even find except the one where i foo ked up, watch the vid, you will sh-t yourself when you rub the scratch down but after you have used the paste all the light scratches dissapear, if qvc show the demo again watch it then watch the vid if you purchase it. If you can practice on an old bit body, id do that first.
After you have done a couple of light scrathes etc you will have no fear in using it. There are if i can remember from the vid two different kinds of paints for metalic and ordinary so watch the vid and good luck.

Sorry I haven't forgot about this! my missus bought it for me when we were out and because she hates trying to buy me xmas presents she has said that I have to wait till then- WOMEN!!

I will be back with this and it will give me something to do over xmas