Merc A45s...

FBF01

Reaction score
Finally some details. 50k and 421bhp from a 2 litre. Not for me! Looks like only the S will be available here in the UK also. Interesting to see how this performs once the reviews are out.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I have to admit to liking it.

It looks really sharp inside & out.

Not sure it could tempt me away from an RS3 .. but I do like it, although it ain’t cheap

Reactions: jimojameso and TYb
Looks OK’ish. Performance will be decent. Interior is nice enough and I do think Mercedes have really nailed the seats in their cars. But...

It sounds terrible.

Really like the 45 styling on the A and CLA, a lot of dosh though.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Who apart from GW1 buys cars outright these days? All about the monthlies innit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: skibuddy, NevMan, Jonny B and 1 other person
Would definitely consider this for my next car especially if the make the saloon version. Wonder how Audi will respond to this.

I personally don’t think Audi have a lot to worry about. In my humble opinion the Audi is a far superior product and has that magical five cylinder engine that sounds absolutely fantastic, unlike that Merc four pot that I think sounds, just average. I know the Merc has the “PlayStation” look iPad panels but after seeing my brothers AmG A35 and the problems he has had with the trick display panels, no thank you.

Reactions: NevMan and FBF01
I personally don’t think Audi have a lot to worry about. In my humble opinion the Audi is a far superior product and has that magical five cylinder engine that sounds absolutely fantastic, unlike that Merc four pot that I think sounds, just average. I know the Merc has the “PlayStation” look iPad panels but after seeing my brothers AmG A35 and the problems he has had with the trick display panels, no thank you.

Yes you can't beat the 5 cylinder, however there are rumours they move move to a 4 pot for the RS3. If so, then they are going to have to come up with something special. The new A45 is a completely different beast. New improved engine, better gearbox, better 4wd, better suspension and i am sure the handling will be great, much better then the Audi would be. For me that's the most important thing about the car, now it drives and handles.

Yes you can't beat the 5 cylinder, however there are rumours they move move to a 4 pot for the RS3. If so, then they are going to have to come up with something special. The new A45 is a completely different beast. New improved engine, better gearbox, better 4wd, better suspension and i am sure the handling will be great, much better then the Audi would be. For me that's the most important thing about the car, now it drives and handles.
I think you maybe right but I think they may even go for a hybrid, 4 pot plus electric motor, gawd help us.

Maybe on the RS3 front assuming they keep the 2.5 and meet emissions. It is the rest of the range of “S’s” they need to worry about going diesel

Maybe on the RS3 front assuming they keep the 2.5 and meet emissions. It is the rest of the range of “S’s” they need to worry about going diesel
Audi have just managed to get the 2.5 through the emissions test by adding the GPF/OPF filter. It would sink the RS3 without that 5 cylinder, I just love the sound it omits on full throttle. Why in all that is sacred would anyone one put a diesel in an RS3 or any RS model is beyond me. I know Audi built a diesel TT there is something not right about it.

Reactions: keenu
I've said this before but there are vids of disguised 5 cylinder Q3s going around the Nordschleife. If the next RS Q3 is getting a 2.5 I can't see any reason why the RS3 won't, too.

You can just about hear it over the tyre squeal!

I have just seen on YouTube the latest offering from BMW, the new M135 Xdrive with a four cylinder engine, why ditch that fabulous six cylinder is beyond me, and the sound is very asthmatic.

Reactions: NevMan
Sounds OK, but that lower grille and big upper one makes it look like a grinning clown!

I have just seen on YouTube the latest offering from BMW, the new M135 Xdrive with a four cylinder engine, why ditch that fabulous six cylinder is beyond me, and the sound is very asthmatic.

I agree, but think they are trying to add some more separation. In models. Having brought out the M Performance Range which sits above M Sport but below proper M. May bring out a M40i 1 series at some point with straight six

I've said this before but there are vids of disguised 5 cylinder Q3s going around the Nordschleife. If the next RS Q3 is getting a 2.5 I can't see any reason why the RS3 won't, too.

You can just about hear it over the tyre squeal!

That would be the same 400 PS engine with the OPF filter as the current RS3. We are talking about the next gen RS3 which is about 3 years away with a whole new engine.

Keenu I have a new RS3 with the GPF/OPF and I must say that the exhaust tips are spotless, inside and out, even after 500 miles. My S3 after much cleaning of the exhaust tips after 100 miles were absolutely filthy

That would be the same 400 PS engine with the OPF filter as the current RS3. We are talking about the next gen RS3 which is about 3 years away with a whole new engine.

3 years? No way. The new Q3 came out tail end of last year and the RS version is imminent, otherwise they'd not be testing it already. We'll be seeing vids like this of the new RS3 within a year.

I agree, but think they are trying to add some more separation. In models. Having brought out the M Performance Range which sits above M Sport but below proper M. May bring out a M40i 1 series at some point with straight six

The 2 series coupe could spawn an M240i but the 1 series probably won't. They used the same architecture last time but are being separated this time around so the highly popular M2 can still be produced. The M2 will sit on a shortened 3/4 series chassis and not the new transverse engined FWD one the 1 series now uses and into which a longitudinal straight 6 won't fit.

What they may introduce is a 2 series Gran Coupe and that could potentially have the 3.0 litre motor depending on whether they use the 2 series chassis or the 1 series one.

Reactions: NevMan
3 years? No way. The new Q3 came out tail end of last year and the RS version is imminent, otherwise they'd not be testing it already. We'll be seeing vids like this of the new RS3 within a year.

The new A3 is probably going be released next year and then the S3 after that. So perhaps the RS3 will be here around 2021. Could be sooner but all depends on when he new A3 is released.

The 2 series coupe could spawn an M240i but the 1 series probably won't. They used the same architecture last time but are being separated this time around so the highly popular M2 can still be produced. The M2 will sit on a shortened 3/4 series chassis and not the new transverse engined FWD one the 1 series now uses and into which a longitudinal straight 6 won't fit.

What they may introduce is a 2 series Gran Coupe and that could potentially have the 3.0 litre motor depending on whether they use the 2 series chassis or the 1 series one.

Probably right. 1 series shares a lot of the Mini engines and platform

A friend of mine who lives in Canada, told me that Audi were conducting cold weather testing on the A3 and the rumours were they had a 1 litre 3 pot turbo hybrid and a 1.5 litre 3 pot high pressure turbo hybrid.

Well this started off as a Mercedes A45s thread, then quickly turned into an Audi/BMW one. :D
Engine size has no direct connection with power and price anymore.
I think the CLA version of the 45/35 is much nicer looking and definitely the one I would choose.

P.S. I am also a cash buyer having bought my last 5 cars this way.....but there's no way I could stretch to an A45 model. :innocent:

Reactions: Jonny B
Considering I think the previous A Class looked much better than the current (looks like a Hyundai to me...) they’ve really turned it around for the 45. Looks great!

Well this started off as a Mercedes A45s thread, then quickly turned into an Audi/BMW one. :D
Engine size has no direct connection with power and price anymore.
I think the CLA version of the 45/35 is much nicer looking and definitely the one I would choose.

P.S. I am also a cash buyer having bought my last 5 cars this way.....but there's no way I could stretch to an A45 model. :innocent:

Same here . I’m considering the CLA on looks alone . Never owned a merc before . Looks far more up to date than any alternative in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron240
I’m considering the CLA on looks alone . Never owned a merc before . Looks far more up to date than any alternative in my opinion.
It is a beautiful looking car and a big improvement over the previous model. It has really caught my eye. :sunglasses:
I've also never owned a Merc.....but my heart says I need a new CLA. :D

Reactions: Jonny B
@Bristle Hound @Audi Bairn @X3man @TYb @terminator x

Just thought I would let you Guys know that after 12 years of very happy Audi motoring I have finally defected to the dark side ... of Mercedes :yes:
I've had my RS3 for 4 years now so a change was pending any time.
I'm really unsure of the interior layout of the new Audi A3/S3/RS3 so that was making me nervous.
I've had my eye on the Merc A series for quite some time so that was always on my radar.
I finally bit the bullet at the weekend and went to see one first hand in a showroom.
Previously with the old A Class, that was as far as I ever got and I walked away and bought an Audi on the last 2 occasions.
This time though - there was a genuine sense of wow, this is light years from the last A class.
The cabin was very slick, the materials were high quality and it felt extremely high end ... dare I say it Audi-esque !
I also wanted to weigh up the differences between the A35 and the A45 as there is a big step change in cost.
But when you analyse it, it is exactly the same as the S3 v RS3.
Power is up from 300 bhp to a mighty 421 bhp
0 to 62mph is up from 4.7 seconds to 3.9 seconds.
The exterior styling is significant ... wider front and rear arches (50mm I think), the awesome pan america front grill, very purposeful creases on the bonnet, unique 19" alloys as standard, bucket seats, 4 exhausts, uprated brakes with red calipers, 10" dasj screens as standard, extra buttons and modes on the steering wheel, alcantara / leather steering wheel, other gadgets and gizmos ... you get the idea !
I have gone for the none aero model, as it is a bit more subtle and in keeping with the looks of my current RS3 and
I immediately loved it so the next stage was a test drive ... oh s*** they had an A45 outside good to go lol :tearsofjoy:
What a sense of occasion ... the car just feels so special (as my RS3 did / still does tbf).
Whilst it does not match the sound of the RS3, it does have a very nice unique sound - a very racey sound which I liked.
But boy oh boy does it shift. My pre FL car hits 62 mph in around 4.4 seconds from memory, so another half a second pushes things on.
In reality I do not tear around, but I do like to punch it up to 70 mph where the roads and safety allows it.
Anyway, long story short, I very quickly knew this was the next car for me.
Deal done and I have fallen VERY lucky with a factory order which is due in 2 weesk to the Dealers so an early March plate and collection for me with no painful 6 month wait :sunglasses:
So end of an era Guys, its off to AMG for me ... but I will of course still be frequenting ASN :icon thumright:
I'll start a thread when I actually get the car.

Reactions: BarryG79, FBF01, keenu and 10 others
50k for a 2 litre :wtf:

The displacement is irelevant to the price. All manufacturers are moving in the same direction. As long as the performance is there.

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Ron240 and 1 other person
@Bristle Hound @Audi Bairn @X3man @TYb @terminator x

Just thought I would let you Guys know that after 12 years of very happy Audi motoring I have finally defected to the dark side ... of Mercedes :yes:
I've had my RS3 for 4 years now so a change was pending any time.
I'm really unsure of the interior layout of the new Audi A3/S3/RS3 so that was making me nervous.
I've had my eye on the Merc A series for quite some time so that was always on my radar.
I finally bit the bullet at the weekend and went to see one first hand in a showroom.
Previously with the old A Class, that was as far as I ever got and I walked away and bought an Audi on the last 2 occasions.
This time though - there was a genuine sense of wow, this is light years from the last A class.
The cabin was very slick, the materials were high quality and it felt extremely high end ... dare I say it Audi-esque !
I also wanted to weigh up the differences between the A35 and the A45 as there is a big step change in cost.
But when you analyse it, it is exactly the same as the S3 v RS3.
Power is up from 300 bhp to a mighty 421 bhp
0 to 62mph is up from 4.7 seconds to 3.9 seconds.
The exterior styling is significant ... wider front and rear arches (50mm I think), the awesome pan america front grill, very purposeful creases on the bonnet, unique 19" alloys as standard, bucket seats, 4 exhausts, uprated brakes with red calipers, 10" dasj screens as standard, extra buttons and modes on the steering wheel, alcantara / leather steering wheel, other gadgets and gizmos ... you get the idea !
I have gone for the none aero model, as it is a bit more subtle and in keeping with the looks of my current RS3 and
I immediately loved it so the next stage was a test drive ... oh s*** they had an A45 outside good to go lol :tearsofjoy:
What a sense of occasion ... the car just feels so special (as my RS3 did / still does tbf).
Whilst it does not match the sound of the RS3, it does have a very nice unique sound - a very racey sound which I liked.
But boy oh boy does it shift. My pre FL car hits 62 mph in around 4.4 seconds from memory, so another half a second pushes things on.
In reality I do not tear around, but I do like to punch it up to 70 mph where the roads and safety allows it.
Anyway, long story short, I very quickly knew this was the next car for me.
Deal done and I have fallen VERY lucky with a factory order which is due in 2 weesk to the Dealers so an early March plate and collection for me with no painful 6 month wait :sunglasses:
So end of an era Guys, its off to AMG for me ... but I will of course still be frequenting ASN :icon thumright:
I'll start a thread when I actually get the car.
The wife's A35 feels rapid tbf so the A45 will be crazy.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Yep very lucky. :)
Was it a cancelled customer order?
What colour is it?
Will look forward to seeing your photos when you get it. :sunglasses:

Reactions: NevMan, Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin
Yep very lucky. :)
Was it a cancelled customer order?
What colour is it?
Will look forward to seeing your photos when you get it. :sunglasses:

It was blowing a gale and raining when I took it out so not great pics - but it will look like this ...

IMG 2407

These are stock images .......

A45 front

A45 rear

A45 interior

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Mr Freeze, Ron240 and 3 others
I like the grille. It's a bit c63 ish isn't it. Great colour to look after. Can get some real gloss on white

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin
I like the grille. It's a bit c63 ish isn't it. Great colour to look after. Can get some real gloss on white

Yeah the pan america grille was a big draw for me - it gives the car a very aggressive front look doesn't it.
Yes white is quite common now, but it looks good and is fairly to look after and clean.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Bristle Hound, Ron240 and 2 others