Mercedes A45...

We already know that the 3 is a 480hp car de-tuned by Audi to 400 ish so next model will continue to batter the Merc of course.

TX.

Reactions: RGBARGEE and teslaboy
Watched a video yesterday and while I'm sure it'll be great to drive, it just sounded naff. Been spoilt by the 5-pot noise.

I actually think the new A35 with aero kit looks ok. The new dash/center console layout on both Merc and Audi I’m not so sure on - Audi especially.

As with the existing A45 I’m sure it will be great to blast down a B road but a 2l 4 pot for that level of money - no thanks! I’m now coming round to the idea of going for an RS4 and avoid the wait for the next gen RS3

It’ll be close if it’s gone on that well needed diet!!!!!!!
The gearbox was a big weak point on the old A45. Could never seem to launch as well as the VAG group DSG. When I drove one it felt very dim witted and slow to downshift. I'm sure Merc will have sorted it out. I think it'll be very close to the RS3 in a straight line. Might even edge it. But as before, I couldn't listen to it!

The real draw card of the new a45s may be the handling and balance. The dampers on the a45 are already well sorted and With the 4matic+ it will have a rear wheel bias with AWD grip. I suspect with the new chassis it will be a very nice handling car.
The peak hp figures are good for bragging rights but if they don’t have the electric booster motor working efficiently a highly tuned 2L will be laggy sluggish off the line, a criticism of the current model. It’s also rimoured to have a 9 speed DCT so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Only the bottom rung diesel is made by Renault I believe

I think you’ll find that the complete A class range is a Renault Megane chassis and the small diesel is Renault but also the A45 uses a Renault engine that is tuned by AMG.
Hardly a great combination

Heard some numpty YouTuber say the A45 S AMG will be £60k?! Surely not. Claiming 420bhp with the standard A45 only making 385...same as the current 45, surely not.

Heard some numpty YouTuber say the A45 S AMG will be £60k?! Surely not. Claiming 420bhp with the standard A45 only making 385...same as the current 45, surely not.
I can imagine if it's specced up it could cost that much. The RS3 sure can as us poor souls can testify! But I'd guess the base price on the S version surely not exceeding £50k?

I can imagine if it's specced up it could cost that much. The RS3 sure can as us poor souls can testify! But I'd guess the base price on the S version surely not exceeding £50k?

A35 starts from £35k, the A45 perhaps £42, then the S surely has to be a sizeable step up to like £47 if in limited numbers. Asking 50k base price for a 2 litre would be not only hilarious but financial suicide when you add options, especially when it’s worth penny’s in 3 years. Peteonas additions still up for big money I see.

A35 starts from £35k, the A45 perhaps £42, then the S surely has to be a sizeable step up to like £47 if in limited numbers. Asking 50k base price for a 2 litre would be not only hilarious but financial suicide when you add options, especially when it’s worth penny’s in 3 years. Peteonas additions still up for big money I see.

Pricing will be interesting especially with Brexit coming up.

Apparently the A45 will be first seen at Geneva in March....

Reactions: FBF01
I drove the current AMG (381 hp) for 2 years and was happy to get rid of it. Ugly sound, gigantic turbo lag, shittiest gear box ever, just to name the most important things. The chassis and the brakes were good and I liked the aggressive design of the car, but as a daily car the RS3 is much better.

Reactions: FBF01 and Terminator x
Pricing will be interesting especially with Brexit coming up.

Apparently the A45 will be first seen at Geneva in March....
I'm hoping to be at that show so will be interesting to see it if it is there.

Reactions: FBF01
Perhaps new A3 will be there too?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Saw a new A1 the other day, it was a dealer car and covered in stickers.

Could be an indication of how the new A3 will evolve.
Not sure if i like the new front end....

Saw a new A1 the other day, it was a dealer car and covered in stickers.

Could be an indication of how the new A3 will evolve.
Not sure if i like the new front end....
I have seen one parked up but I quite like it tbf, the "holes" where the bonnet closes remind me of a GT3 :racer:

TX.

Watched a video yesterday and while I'm sure it'll be great to drive, it just sounded naff. Been spoilt by the 5-pot noise.

Do you have a link to the video of it? I've seen a few regular new A classes around town and they look good in some angles but I was driving behind one and it looked really bad to me.

Do you have a link to the video of it? I've seen a few regular new A classes around town and they look good in some angles but I was driving behind one and it looked really bad to me.
It was a Merc promotional video. Sounded terrible.

This one perhaps?

Interesting that this car seems to have power-oversteer. Doesn’t mean the road car would, mind. But I do think Audi need to up their game with the Haldex system to make it more neutral-rear balanced.

This one perhaps?

Interesting that this car seems to have power-oversteer. Doesn’t mean the road car would, mind. But I do think Audi need to up their game with the Haldex system to make it more neutral-rear balanced.

Doesn’t sound too bad to me but I’m in an S3, not an RS.

People very quick to dismiss it bearing in mind it hasn’t been been released yet.

Doesn’t sound too bad to me but I’m in an S3, not an RS.

People very quick to dismiss it bearing in mind it hasn’t been been released yet.
The Golf R/S3 are possibly the worst sounding 4-pots on the market so yes, compared to them the A45 will sound good!

But next to an RS...

Reactions: FBF01 and Snake Pliskin
The Golf R/S3 are possibly the worst sounding 4-pots on the market so yes, compared to them the A45 will sound good!

But next to an RS...

Do we know if Merc pipe fake sound through the speakers as per the Golf R and Audi S3 ?
I really detest this feature on the VAg cars and thank goodness the RS is pure real sound.

Reactions: teslaboy
Do we know if Merc pipe fake sound through the speakers as per the Golf R and Audi S3 ?
I really detest this feature on the VAg cars and thank goodness the RS is pure real sound.
Fake sound in the RS4 Snake! Can be turned down / off with VCDS apparently :flushed:

TX.

For the price the sound isn't good in that video. If it has drift mode, then it is 4WD/RWD switchable? It needs to have it to be competitive but the thing is it just makes the Focus RS seem better value. Audi need to start following that trend not the fake exhausts trend.

The current model has the induction sound piped in, but it’s not fake as such, as it opens up a tube that pipes in induction noise from intake. Similar to the Porsche system.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Pistonheads have just done a UK write up on the A35, and it cost with options 48k (38k basic).
Dread the think what the new A45 will cost, at least 10k on top which means with pretty much all options its gonna be hitting nearly 60k !!!!!

Saying that I've seen RS3 saloons for nearly 60k. Madness !

Feel like i have bargain in by RS SB at a smidge under 50k !!

Pistonheads have just done a UK write up on the A35, and it cost with options 48k (38k basic).
Dread the think what the new A45 will cost, at least 10k on top which means with pretty much all options its gonna be hitting nearly 60k !!!!!

Saying that I've seen RS3 saloons for nearly 60k. Madness !

Feel like i have bargain in by RS SB at a smidge under 50k !!

This will all be helping our used cars retain value - as my other post :thumbs up:

Yeah a maxed out RS3 Saloon is around 60k or more, then you have the re-sellers that add their margin on top. But it really shouldn't cost that much, I haven't seen anyone that actively want the carbon engine cover and only a few people who wanted the increased top speed limiter. The A35 costs way too much against it's competition. You can get well specced low mileage used S3 FL or Golf R for half that £48k price.

Mine was specced at over £60k when it was new, thankfully I didn't pay anywhere near that :thumbs up:

Hasn't got the engine cover though which really is a waste of £800 odd lol and, suffice to say, I haven't been anywhere near 174mph!

Can't see too many people paying £40k for a baby A45 surely :blink:

Mine was specced at over £60k when it was new, thankfully I didn't pay anywhere near that :thumbs up:

Hasn't got the engine cover though which really is a waste of £800 odd lol and, suffice to say, I haven't been anywhere near 174mph!

Can't see too many people paying £40k for a baby A45 surely :blink:

I think they will, people already do on S3’s.
Most A35’s/S3 will be on PCP and many only care about the monthlies rather than list price etc.

I just read that pistonheads article. Didn't sound that good to me, ride is the same as the FL A45 which was better than the PFL but not on S3/Golf R level for everyday use. The 4WD system is still not that good either from that article and the handling isn't as 'eager' as the FL A45. They improved the gearbox though which should make it at least on par with the Golf R/S3?? I think I need to see the new A class interior to see what the fuss is about, it doesn't seem as good as the S3's from pictures and videos I've seen, just looks like journalists are getting caught up with big screens and loads of lights. I agree with TYb, journalists always gave the last gen A class bad reviews because of its ride, poor rear leg room, small boot etc but people still bought loads of them.

Reactions: teslaboy
And now Shmee got a video of the A45S. Has 4Matic+ with the switchable 4WD as we expected. 421 horsepower for the S and 387 for the normal A45.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin