Facelift Metal fragments on fuel filter.

Reaction score
Hi, All

Change the oil on my 2017 2.0 tdi (150) CRLB engine today. Had fuel filter to hand so just change it anyway even though only changed about 4000 miles ish ago (due to lockdown)
Found what looks like very small metal fragments on top of filter.
20210329 170226
20210329 170219
20210329 170207

Having Google about some people saying this normal for low mile engine's. (mine on 24, 669)
Then going down hill to failing fuel pump and or damage to wrong fuel used.
Never used wrong fuel myself but didn't own car from new.
I don't have any problems with car at all running fine no fault codes.

Should i be worryed? Second opinions would be great!
Thanks
Dan

You could cut the filter open and have a look to see if much trapped in the filter.

Reactions: dantdi
Cut it open all looks clean in side, Guess filter is doing it's job. Just unsure if this is coming from fuel tank or return from engine.
20210330 090320
20210330 090320
20210330 090330

I also tried to use magnet didn't seem to pick anythink up. Does look like aluminium to me, could and probably be wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be just dirty fuel?
Optimistic side of me would think it’s the petrol station pump about to break instead my own fuel pump.

Hopfully it is buddy! Have read on VW forum seen specs upto 40k then seem to clear. I do always think the worst.

As AlS3BE said, it is probably flakes of metal (aluminium/alloy of some description) from the fuel filler nozzle at the petrol station. They get rather beaten up going in and out of car fillers and quite possibly shed a few shards when they went into your car over the years. The fuel filter has done its job and stopped them going any further so wouldn’t be too concerned.

if you are shedding that much metal from a component in your fuel system I would have expected at least one or more of them to have failed/clogged already.

I would have been concerned if you had found a lot more debris in the filter. As it looks like there was only a few flecks of alloy so I would not be so concerned.

Mmmm, just did a search myself and while the theory of coming from an external source like the fuel station gets discussed in several places it seems it’s also possible that it can be a HPFP failing issue. - https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/fuel-filter-change-metal-flakes.351809/
My Mrs 2.0 TDI Leon had a similar issue 18 months ago the car had lots of metal fragments it would constantly go in to limp turns out it actually was the HPFP once that was changed car drove like a dream.

Last edited:
Years back my mate was a mechanic at Ford, they saw a lot of this type of thing, they put it down to people rattling the fuel pump to get the last drops out of the pump....metal pump nozzle vs metal top of fuel tank = little bits chipping off!!!

Could be a load of bull, but I always remember it when filling up!