Metallic noise

Simon6565

Reaction score
As above, because the air con needs regassing I’ve been having the front windows down recently and have noticed that upon braking there is a metallic clank from both front wheel areas. Last year, September-ish, I replaced both front discs and pads for the mot so was doubtful it was those. Anyhoo we have our caravan in storage in a large warehouse and as I applied the brakes the noise was really loud, so I asked the wife to drive slowly as I walked beside one of the front wheels and sure enough it was coming from there, I did this for the other side as well. Any idea anyone what the hell it can be? I have the image in my head that the pads are moving under braking and hitting the caliper but the ****** things are more or less brand new…..

I've had this before. One time it was down to the pads not being a very good fit, and were moving in the carrier. Second time it was down to a warn carrier but the car had done a lot of miles 200K+

Hi B5 how’s it going?,
These pads are Eicher from ECP so that may be the problem, but then again I’ve bought all my pads from them for my other cars and had no problems In the past. Although now I think about it I don’t normally have the windows down, and when I do now I can’t hear the clanging. I’m just waiting for the weather to clear a bit then I’ll jack the car up and see what I can see and change out the pads if needed…

You know same stuff, different day...

Best way to check is to remove the caliper and see if the pads move up and down in the carrier. Also check for carrier wear they should be nice and flat where the brake pads rests, if they look like the image below then it's time to find some new ones.