Michelin CrossClimate - who heard about it?

rezulteo

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
A couple of weeks ago Michelin presented a new tyre - CrossClimate. It's a tyre for both summer and winter. According to Michelin it's a difference between their new tyre and an all-season tyre. When an all-season tyre often been a compromise, not as good as a summer tyre when it's warm and not as good as a winter tyre in the cold, the CrossClimate performances are comparable to Michelin summer tyres, and have excellent performances in winter conditions according to Michelin. The tyre is the first summer tyre to obtain the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) symbol, which means that it can be used in countries that require winter equipment.
michelin-crossclimate-snow_vl.jpg

We got the chance to test the CrossClimate! We tried it on dry asphalt, in wet and in snow, and the result was impressive. On dry the characteristics are indeed similar to those of a summer tyre. On snow the traction and braking performance is impressive. We also compared the CrossClimate with other tyres. Read all about it here :)
Check out a video of the test as well! On the youtube page there are plenty of videos showing different tests of the CrossClimate, braking on dry compared to winter tyres, all season tyres etc.

The tyre will be commercially launched this spring, in 23 different dimensions. Could this be a compromise for the UK? What do you think? Questions or comments?

I think it's just never going to be as good as running a proper set of summer and winter tyres, might be good for people that don't want the hassle of running two sets of alloys but then out of these people who would actually then be the type of person worried about winter tyres as winter tyres are still quite a new thing here in the UK and most don't even understand the benefits of using winter tyres in the cold months as they just think they are for snow only, regarding your tests, did they actually out perform any decent branded summer or winter tyre?

Since I learnt about the benefits of running both types of tyres I now have two sets of alloys with any car iv owned since, yes it takes up a bit more space but then I get to keep my summer alloys in good condition because they aren't battered with salt, and my winter alloys help with all over grip in the colder months.

regarding your tests, did they actually out perform any decent branded summer or winter tyre?

We tried the tyre on dry, and it felt pretty much as a summer tyre. Winter tyres in summer tend to feel a bit soft, but not the CrossClimate. It wasn't noisy and the feedback and cornering was good. Compared to another Michelin tyre, the Energy Saver, some performances are on the same level, braking on dry for example.

On snow it was impressive as well and it felt safe. But as you say, it will never out perform a standard winter tyre in winter, and a summer tyre in summer. :)

I think it's just never going to be as good as running a proper set of summer and winter tyres, might be good for people that don't want the hassle of running two sets of alloys but then out of these people who would actually then be the type of person worried about winter tyres as winter tyres are still quite a new thing here in the UK and most don't even understand the benefits of using winter tyres in the cold months as they just think they are for snow only.

Yes, you have a very good point. :icon thumright:

It's always better to fit winter tyres when it is cold (and as you say, winter tyres are more effective as soon as the temperature drops below 7°, not only on snow), and summer tyres when it's warmer. CrossClimate is more of a compromise for drivers that are exposed to occasional snow or for very versatile use.