Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AO Lack of rim protection ?

jrumball

Reaction score
Just had a set of 4 fitted by my Audi service Center AO spec 225/40 ZR18 . They price matched me to QuickFit @ £99 each which I though was a good deal.

They seem to be a lot better than the Pirelli Pzeros I had before which lasted only 10k miles and slipped and spun all the time pulling away !!!!! No loss of traction pulling away yet and they are still brand new !

Only problem is that them seem to have virtually no rim protection unlike the pictures and reviews I saw, has anyone else got any fitted to 18inch S3 factory wheels !

I’m trying to figure out if it is an AO or something else has gone wrong or it’s just the way they are ‍?

IMG 8041
IMG 8040
IMG 8039

Just the way they are. Mine are exactly the same. Same size as well

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just the way they are. Mine are exactly the same. Same size as well

Thanks
That’s frustrating and a shame as I was told they had rim protection, the Pirelli Pzeros have epic £1 worth of rim protection, which is great with the country roads around where I live, I’m confused though as I have seen pictures showing significant rim protection on these tyres ?

might have got away with running a 235 for a little extra protection but were talking mm's

Thanks
That’s frustrating and a shame as I was told they had rim protection, the Pirelli Pzeros have epic £1 worth of rim protection, which is great with the country roads around where I live, I’m confused though as I have seen pictures showing significant rim protection on these tyres ?
Yes, I give rim protection high value too. I wish more manufacturers standardized on/had options for good rim protection for all low profile tyres. I have found PZeros a good enough compromise for that reason, but I don't tend to push them hard. I just actually want a good enough all seasons tyre with excellent rim protection and low noise, but it seems nobody makes one, which is nuts.

Yes, I give rim protection high value too. I wish more manufacturers standardized on/had options for good rim protection for all low profile tyres. I have found PZeros a good enough compromise for that reason, but I don't tend to push them hard. I just actually want a good enough all seasons tyre with excellent rim protection and low noise, but it seems nobody makes one, which is nuts.
You're not alone. I have the same criteria, and like you I have not found a tyre that fits the bill. Goodyear F1 Assy 3 seemed to come close, but I don't think they are available any more, and as I understand it the Assy 5 has poor rim protection.

I have GY Assy 5 and rim protection is pretty good. Can't fault the tires, good grip and decent wear.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You're not alone. I have the same criteria, and like you I have not found a tyre that fits the bill. Goodyear F1 Assy 3 seemed to come close, but I don't think they are available any more, and as I understand it the Assy 5 has poor rim protection.

Mentioned this on another thread, but it beggars belief that so many summer tyres are promoted & sold in the UK to folk who don't think twice about having two sets, summer & winter, or one set of all seasons. I wonder if insurance companies will ultimately wake up to this and do something like invalidate insurance if you have an 'inappropriate' set on. and have an accident. Also odd that manufacturers fit summer tyres as OE in the UK, even on cars sold in the winter!

I had all 4 of my tyres changed due to the low thread on the front. I had PS4s on and I've gone for PS4s again but I could swear these have more rim protection than my last set ?

The first set I had were like the OPs and had absolutely 0 rim protection but these seem to be different or are my eyes playing tricks on me ?
defa9f400442205bf54b070f121fe066.jpg
d2e431686091c0e3dfdad9c127ba2c26.jpg
64bd3461af2ed116e3df6a9e4ebf99c3.jpg