Facelift Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S - weird vibration???

Jay.Ing

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi all

Just had 2 new PS4s's on the fron of my 2019 Avant TDI40. They have been on for a week now and the car feels unsettled over bumps and when slightly turning the wheel side to side around 30mph i get a wobble that feels like the ballance is out. This wobble is not present when driving straight and not present at higher speeds?

This never happened on the contis that were on before, but during my service last month the mechanic did mention that the front NS tyre looked like it was scrubbing on the inside edge.

Im getting then reballanced tomorrow and have it booked in for tracking on thursday.

Just wondering if im on the right track as its a very strage feeling through the steering wheel.

Ta All

You aren't specific with the sequence of events. Scrubbing tyres then new PS4s - then tracking? Surely if they were scrubbing then tracking before tyres. Those new boots could be ruined unbeleivably quickly. But it's not clear. However, tracking should not lead to a wobble.
So balancing sounds like the most likely cause esp if it didn't happen on the old tyres. It isn't unusual to be able to accelerate through a wobble. New boots means rebalanced tyres. The fitter could have just made a mistake (unlikely as they do a re-run on the machineafter fitting weights) or they've fallen off which is not as uncommon as I imagined.

You aren't specific with the sequence of events. Scrubbing tyres then new PS4s - then tracking? Surely if they were scrubbing then tracking before tyres. Those new boots could be ruined unbeleivably quickly. But it's not clear. However, tracking should not lead to a wobble.
So balancing sounds like the most likely cause esp if it didn't happen on the old tyres. It isn't unusual to be able to accelerate through a wobble. New boots means rebalanced tyres. The fitter could have just made a mistake (unlikely as they do a re-run on the machineafter fitting weights) or they've fallen off which is not as uncommon as I imagined.
Service indicated low tread and slight scrubbing (and i mean slight) - PS4s purchased and stored as i still had 2.5mm on the fronts. When i got to 1.8mm had the front tryes swapped and ballanced, since then had the strange wabble.

As i wasnt convinced with the scrub i was going to monitor the new tyres for evidence of scrubbing.

It may just be lucky during ballancing and it doesnt need it, but the front left only has weights in the outer side of the rim, and not the inner where all other wheels have weights inner and outer. Suppose we will see tomorrow!

Have you checked that the wheel nuts are on tight/torqued and the tyre pressures are correct?
Wouldn’t be the first time a dealer/tyre fitter didn’t do this right.

Reactions: SiPie
Have you checked that the wheel nuts are on tight/torqued and the tyre pressures are correct?
Wouldn’t be the first time a dealer/tyre fitter didn’t do this right.
Yes first think i did.

Wheels off, check mating faces, fitted and retorqued bolts and checked pressures.

Reactions: AlS3BE
As i wasnt convinced with the scrub i was going to monitor the new tyres for evidence of scrubbing.
Once scrubbed they will continue to wear unevenly. Cost of tracking compared to 2 PS4s??? Not sure it's really necessary but I always have my tracking checked every time I put new front tyres on. £35 vs £250

Clutching at straws here, however, I had awful trouble with tyres (Continentals) that delaminated the tread on 3 of 4 tyres. No amount of balancing could stop vibrations and we didn't notice until they were part worn and were changing to winters when we saw about a 8x12cm lump sticking just 1-2 mm proud on the tread on all 3. Continental said it was caused by driving & running kerbs despite it occuring from the outset and never happening before or since.

There great tyres, got them on mine & will defiantly get them again when they need changing. 4 wheel alignment, tracking etc should sort it.