Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Thoughts?

This thread was supposed to be a tyre debate

Maybe you should start your own little RS 3 v RS 6 / GTR / 911 / high powered diesel thread and let this thread carry on as originally intended!!!

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, 45bvtc and S3Alex
Relax gents, it's all good in the hood ;-)

Can't wait to wear out my Pirelli P-Zeros and get some MPSS tyres on the 5, had some early variant versions of these MPS2's on the S3 and they were very good indeed. Only negative was when they wore down to about 4mm they used to drone a bit. As I do predominantly motorway mileage this meant that I had to run them for another 5-7k before changing whereas those who lash about the B roads could just scrub them out!

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, T-800 and S3Alex
i could run a new RS6 if i wanted to, but i am getting miserly in my old age, although i have been looking at C63 edition 507 leases today, i need to own a V8 before they are all history...

im just not one of these tiresome fanbois that buys something and then its automatically the best thing ever

i also expect that we are going to be having a lot of S3 and R golfs glued to our back bumpers in the future with them only being down approx 20bhp but around 150kgs lighter, this bothers me a lot, and why 400bhp+ is going to be important imo to keep them in their place ;)

it also ****** me off that the RS3 should have come with 400bhp but is capped for marketing reasons ...

after a week in the RS6 it felt like a 1.0 polo, at MWay speeds its utterly dead in 7th so you have to kick it down a couple of cogs to get it to do anything, and there are plenty of big oil burners and top end hot hatches that can yump at its heals, a local M6 just leaves it for dead.

its nippy, not fast

this RS6 is fast

Audi RS6 Sportmile 800+ vs Lamborghini LP640 - YouTube

The problem you have is not only Audi capping the power to fit it into their product range,but also the fact that neither the RS3,nor for instance the 8P are particularly light cars.

Releasing the "monster" inside the RS3 means getting it up towards 500bhp,which does cost a fair bit,and dialling out the understeer you're complaining of is just another Audi 3 series problem which costs money to get rid of.

Relax gents, it's all good in the hood ;-)

Can't wait to wear out my Pirelli P-Zeros and get some MPSS tyres on the 5, had some early variant versions of these MPS2's on the S3 and they were very good indeed. Only negative was when they wore down to about 4mm they used to drone a bit. As I do predominantly motorway mileage this meant that I had to run them for another 5-7k before changing whereas those who lash about the B roads could just scrub them out!

You'll love them,I promise you.

Reactions: warren_S5
You'll love them,I promise you.

definatly, in nearly 30 years of driving i have never had such an improvment by changing tyres

and if they get loud when a bit warn just hit a few track days ;)

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and warren_S5
extra grey hairs? the 3 black ones i have left have just got worried :(

OK, that's funny, but you NEED an Audi Experience day at Silverstone to come to your senses.

However you differentiate between quick and fast I don't care (having run a 'quick' Lotus Elan for 37-years): BUT just go try following a manic (currently leading Blancpain Gentleman driver) German in an R8 V10 Plus and/or TTRS Plus on a WET, and I mean WET!, track and come back and talk to me about quick and fast...

One week later and I'm still numb, that how did they do that! And these guys were in the same R8 V10 Plus and/or TTRS cars as I was: BUT they were looking back at me and five others as well as looking forwards; and talking to me and those same five others too, suggesting we "please keep up", and I/we still couldn't hang on to their back end... Don't ask me how they do it, 'cos I don't know.

I've just got to do this again: quick or fast I don't care, but I've just got to do this Audi Experience day at Silverstone again; and I'll surely end up as bemused as I am now...

AND I'll have an Audi RS3 to drive me/us home, safely...

Last edited:
Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, DAYTONA 500 and T-800
definatly, in nearly 30 years of driving i have never had such an improvment by changing tyres

Just try changing the brake pads on your RS3 Dave for EBC REDSTUFF: and that after 46-years of driving and a professional involvement (MIRA and Gaydon) with Automotive Design and Development and Type Approval, etc.

OK, so the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are GOOD, have to mention that in this thread, but how much better than the Coninentals I'm not sure yet; but the EBC REDSTUFF brake pads post 47i6 brake upgrade are NIGHT and bl**dy DAY!

Reactions: Kelza and DAYTONA 500
the red pads will be the next thing i sort out after my service, they sound too good to miss out on, although i will have to find someone to chop and fit the connectors for me whilst they fit them.

i have done an audi experience day, although it was in 99!!! I still have the certificate here lol.

i agree we all have our own internal chronometers as to what is fast

personally i am not interested in lap times etc, i am not a racing driver, not even close and i never drive on tracks (and if i did i would take a light weight rwd car). The RS3 is very pokey in 1st and 2nd but the performance drops very quickly from then on. I have never once felt **** me that's fast, at mway speeds in 7th it feels asthmatic, my MTM tuned B5 S4 (620nm) would leave it for dead as for the RS6 well that puts 80-120mph on the speedo just by applying a couple of mm to the loud pedal, according to my friend who visits Germany. The B8 RS6 always made me say **** me every time you used the loud pedal, as does the GTR

And i appreciate they are vastly more money but we are talking about what i consider fast accelerative speed wise and that level of performance is what i personally consider fast

i will add that the 5 pot engine is ****** fantastic to use, it works so well in every day use and is even better when on wot

oh and the lotus elan is one of my all time favorite cars, stunning to look at and brilliant engineering for its time, and tbh a far better approach to fuel economy and emissions than creating 2 tonne hybrids

have you seen Harrys one?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KWU1qlfIM

[/URL]

Last edited:
the red pads will be the next thing i sort out after my service, they sound too good to miss out on, although i will have to find someone to chop and fit the connectors for me whilst they fit them.

Go get a cable from Audi, Part Number: 8J0 615 437, and send that to me with a return envelope. I'll do the mod and send it back to you, no worries.

And I'll do the same for anyone else too.

Go get a cable from Audi, Part Number: 8J0 615 437, and send that to me with a return envelope. I'll do the mod and send it back to you, no worries.

And I'll do the same for anyone else too.

ty mate appreciate it

Back to the TYRE debate:

Are these Michelins better than the ContiSports everyday? Maybe?

Would I rush out and change if I didn't have to? NO way!

Is there any difference at all? Yes, but difficult to define.

They produce no more noise to me than the ContiSports, the ride is similarly good at 39/37psi; but once when negotiating a quick island at pace I did lift one eyebrow and think NICE!

So I got the sign for the garage wall, just for FUN!....

Attachments

• Michelin.jpg
    Michelin.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and T-800