Michelin Pilot Super Sports taking the RS3 from great to truly gripping

Finally :)
677c835b4e9382be4a87da124d3085b5_zps1e43bf42.jpg

Reactions: wickedstef and MBK
Ohh i just bought some swissvax autobahn :)

Reactions: quattro81
Yeah i will marcus was told to not launch the car straight away by audi, run in the tyres about 20 miles ,so wanted to give them a good testing ..as said just got some autobahn so going try it :)
ac3841aae7f307f10ee92e5cbeb704a9_zps9a8cade0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: quattro81 and L1ARR
Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) are the best road tyre I have ever experienced with no reservations.

I've started this update to the MPSS review strongly because a couple of days away from the end of life of the first set on my RS3 they have been everything the Michelin marketing material promised. This is going to be a tyre bore post but I think that's ok because many other RS3 owners want to know where to spend their money when it comes to replacement tyres.

After about 8000 miles, including 300 on track (150 wet/150 dry), another 100 on a handling day dancing between the cones and plenty of spirited cross country cornering that I've posted about on here my front MPSS 235/35 tyres are ready for replacement.

Even Wear
But just take a look at how well they have held up:

The wear is as good as identical across the width of the tyre. At 235 width most tyres I've experienced wear either the edges (Conti 5p oh deary me) or the centre of the tyre because the tyre deforms and bulges in the middle at high speed. Michelins use of stronger binding for the centre of the tyre has worked it's magic here, demonstrated by the even wear rate. Even the track mighty Toyo R888 will destroy it's centre section in a few miles of high speed driving if the temperatures are not controlled.

Shoulder Wear
Even more impressive is the tyre edge or shoulder wear. The MPSS still retains the same pattern as when new and that is remarkable:

To have withstood the occasional trackside kerb, understeer push on through high speed corners and the occasional over excited entry to a tight roundabout is something I've seen no other tyre do. The outer edge tread blocks were falling apart on the Conti 5Ps at 3000 miles as a comparison. This isn't something that worries me and I ran my Conti's to 8K but I know others have been convinced by dealers to replace the front tyres at as little as 4k miles.

Inner Edge
The inner edge is equally in tact:

The inner edge of the tyre is equally intact. This isn't a great picture but it's one I wanted to show because I've lost count of the number of times I've seen tyres look perfect on the outer edge but be worn to the canvass on the inner edge. The MPSS again maintains an even wear pattern.

Longevity

I'm probably not the best person to ask about longevity but the MPSS lasted about 8000 miles on my RS3. The advantage over the Conti 5P is that performance remained strong to the end of the life of the tyre, the Conti was a real handful below 3mm.

Fuel Consumption

Unquestionably the MPSS being a grippier tyre dropped the RS3 average about 1.5 mpg on each tank of fuel (27.5mpg on Conti 5P vs 26 mpg on MPSS), a tiny price to pay for the far greater performance in my opinion. Interstingly since the APR Stage I map the fuel consumption average is up to almost 29mpg...

Wet Weather Performance

Although the MPSS has a lower rating than the Conti 5P I could tell no difference. I prefer the handling of the car on the MPSS, I feel much more aware of the limit of grip and able to react to it. Yes the car will move around a degree ot 2 more but ultimately it's the same secure grip and go feeling, just that bit more alive.

On track (dry)

The biggest compliment i can give the MPSS is that they almost have the drip of Toyo R888's on a dry track. Yet at the same time you can enjoy (eg overtake everything!) if it rains and drive home safely on wet roads which is not an experience I'd want to repeat on R888s. You need the youthful invincibility of youth to drive on R888s in the wet for too long.

Yes the MPSS howl and complain as they reach the limits of grip but somehow they continue to grip. When you do reach the edge of adhesion the slide is neutral, progressive and controllable. After 10 laps the performance remains consistent and for track days a 10 lap stint is enough because by then everything from the brakes and tyres to the engine are getting a little warm.

On track Wet

A heart in mouth moment as the front tyres slide wide through a 65mpg right hand corner is about as exciting as the MPSS ever got, because the brief slide through some deep water was followed by an immediate return to full grip. Wet weather on track makes these tyres come to life, get them warm and the grip levels are insane. There is nothing to match the RS3 in the wet (luckily no TTRS or other fast Audi's have been present!), ultimate peak speeds ar down by 10mpg but the lap integrity is maintained. By contrast anything front wheel drive is spinning it's power away. Most RWD cars sensibly stay in the pits, or prepare to pirouette. Seriously if you want some fun go to a wet track day with the RS3 you will get some open jawed amazement at the speed the car can carry in those conditions.

Should you buy some?

Unreservedly yes if you want the most mainly road and occasional track day fun, there is no better 'modification' for the RS3 at this price. If budget is more important and you want a similar road only improvement I trust evo magazines reviews of the Goodyear Eagle F1.

Conclusion

I'll end where I began -Michelin Pilot Super Sport the best all round tyre I've experienced with no reservations.

Reactions: quattro81, 45bvtc, CarrG and 3 others
Excellent review MBK! I have these on the fronts but still got the original Contis on the rear as they have a decent amount of tread left. I rate the MPSS highly but was much more impressed with the Michelin PA4s that I put on for the winter, probably because all four tyres were changed at the same time and the difference between them and the old Contis was staggering from the first mile. I wonder if this makes all the difference, because I was pleased with the front MPSS when I changed them but not moved to rave about it. My plan is to move the MPSS 235s from the front to the rear as the Contis wear out, then get the larger wheels from the front with 255 MPSS tyres.

On another note, I'm looking to go down the APR stage 1 route and maybe the LOBA front brake set-up depending upon my Brands hatch track day experience next week - GoPro at the ready!

Hope you guys have a good one at the dyno in Tewks.

Reactions: MBK
The new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports were fitted today, 235 all round, joining the one tyre that was fitted on Friday after the puncture. I had a better look at the punctured tyre today and both nails had gone right through the tyre and one was too close to the edge for repair in any case. The silver lining was a chance to go 235 all round on the RS3 - the one good 225/35/19 just happens to be the exact size of the tyres on the Mrs car so that will still come in handy.

A big thank you to Keep Driving. in Swansea for squeezing in the tyre fitting on Friday and enabling me to make the dyno and mini meet on Saturday. I like the approach of this garage, a mix of experienced technicians, newly college qualified lads and trainees in partnership with the local college. The more experienced staff were supervising the apprentices well and at the same time the training element meant they were up to date with the latest equipment and ideas. As I'm sure you can imagine there was a lot of interest in the RS3.

I'm also glad to say they were great at looking after the wheels and balanced the tyres easily first time - unlike the last fitting centre who took 3 attempts on 2 different balancing machines. This set of tyres are perfectly smoothly balanced so if you do get any vibration after fitting it is well worth keep going back to get the balancing perfect - a lot of excuses were offered by the previous fitters and I've heard other stories of Audi dealers struggling to balance the Rotors too - it can be done.

Once again Blackcircles Tyres Online | Cheap Tyres | Winter Tyres & Car Servicing UK were the cheapest all round deal (£808 fitted for the 4 tyres, and £127.50 back in extra Tesco Clubcard vouchers making them far cheaper than just the mail order firms eg Camskill are £191 a tyre), and to their credit when I had the puncture on Friday they were able to source and deliver the additional 2 235/35 tyres on the same day. Contrast that with Audi where I'd still be waiting for my tyres now.

As always with a new set of tyres the RS3 feels immediately restored, avoiding tracking cambers on the road and the new sticky rubber pinging small stones into the arches. Initial impressions of the 235 all round set up are good but I will know more in a couple of days when I've driven some more interesting roads.

Reactions: 45bvtc, fanshu and CarrG
Congratulation, please let us know how's the feeling of 235 all round? Should we need to turn the ESP to sport?
Since I am wondering if I should go 255 front as it needs a 8.5" wheel which I'm not sure if I can get it through Audi HK.

Something super sticky like Toyo R888s or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup maybe or any of the similar dry optimised and softer compounds.

I'm glad to be able to report the 235 all round works perfectly. As John already reported there is no rubbing in the rear arches even when the suspension is pushed to the stops.

Does 235 all round make any dynamic difference? I'd have to say no nothing I can feel in normal dry conditions. I think 235 all round would have been a much better choice all round as standard.

The new full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport do make a big difference though, the wheel spin generated by the Stage I APR v2 map at about 4k in the rev range as the big torque kicks is now back under under control. If your tyres have less than 3mm of tread depth you will see more wheelspin with the remap. On new tyres order is restored.

Reactions: fanshu, monkeyboy_marcus, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Mark, when my tyres are done, I'll be on these (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) animals!

I cannot fault your feedback (why would I?), and the photos of the wear across-the-tread are compulsive!

SPOT on Mark, and thank you... :applaus:

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and MBK
Thank you, Mark. Good to hear that, if you can't feel the difference, I don't see the point of me going to 255 front:icon_thumright:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus and 45bvtc
Thank you, Mark. Good to hear that, if you can't feel the difference, I don't see the point of me going to 255 front:icon_thumright:

Mate, I think there are two separate issues here, 235 all around and 255 fronts. MBK is saying that there's not much noticeable difference with the former but apparently the latter does provide some significant improvement (various contributors). You may have got this already, or alternatively I may be wrong! I've been toying with the idea of going 255 up front and 235 rears but may wait for some further feedback as the wheels aren't cheap and it is a hassle...

Mate, I think there are two separate issues here, 235 all around and 255 fronts. MBK is saying that there's not much noticeable difference with the former but apparently the latter does provide some significant improvement (various contributors). You may have got this already, or alternatively I may be wrong! I've been toying with the idea of going 255 up front and 235 rears but may wait for some further feedback as the wheels aren't cheap and it is a hassle...

yes mate, thanks. Agree that there are two issues, and same for me a bit hassle to go 255 front as the 8.5" wheel is a problem here in HK. And if can go 235 all round, I may prefer this as this will be more practical......may be just turn the ESP to sport:w00t:

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
I've just changed to new rotors 8.5j front 8j rear yesterday and I have to say I've noticed a difference straight away, even with the supposed rubbish Cont's. :racer:

Reactions: quattro81 and 45bvtc
I've just changed to new rotors 8.5j front 8j rear yesterday and I have to say I've noticed a difference straight away, even with the supposed rubbish Cont's. :racer:

Me too, Sean. So much better! :yes:

Reactions: T-800
The German car magazine Sport auto reported that the 255 fronts reduce understeer significantly. The handling benefits were especially noticeable in the wet. The RS3 was massively faster than the TTRS on the wet handling track with the 255s fitted (but slower on the dry circuit tests). The RS3 is one of the fastest Audis they tested on the wet handling circuit but the previous RS4 and current S5 were faster still due to 'proper Quattro' rather than Haldex.

Oh and the Contis are fine tyres for road use, I did a write up on them before I changed mine. It's only when you push to the limit they get a bit ragged, the edges wear quickly due to the understeer if you enter corners too quickly. On track they only last a few laps before being worn to the canvass on the edge - several tests have shown this. It's why that ****** 135i on MPSS looks much closer on track times than it would be on the same rubber. When Sport auto tested the S5 at Hockenheim they changed the Contis for Michelin and it was almost 2s a lap faster. If you're not going to the track the Contis are fine, Goodyear Eagle F1s are better but that's another debate - see the evo magazine tyre test and RS4 end of term test for more details.

I'll find the Sport auto links when I'm on the PC or if google it in Chrome it will auto translate to English.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc and fanshu
The German car magazine Sport auto reported that the 255 fronts reduce understeer significantly. The handling benefits were especially noticeable in the wet. The RS3 was massively faster than the TTRS on the wet handling track with the 255s fitted (but slower on the dry circuit tests). The RS3 is one of the fastest Audis they tested on the wet handling circuit but the previous RS4 and current S5 were faster still due to 'proper Quattro' rather than Haldex.

Oh and the Contis are fine tyres for road use, I did a write up on them before I changed mine. It's only when you push to the limit they get a bit ragged, the edges wear quickly due to the understeer if you enter corners too quickly. On track they only last a few laps before being worn to the canvass on the edge - several tests have shown this. It's why that ****** 135i on MPSS looks much closer on track times than it would be on the same rubber. When Sport auto tested the S5 at Hockenheim they changed the Contis for Michelin and it was almost 2s a lap faster. If you're not going to the track the Contis are fine, Goodyear Eagle F1s are better but that's another debate - see the evo magazine tyre test and RS4 end of term test for more details.

I'll find the Sport auto links when I'm on the PC or if google it in Chrome it will auto translate to English.

I Must admit when i changed the Continental's on my S3 for the Goodyear Eagle F1's i was impressed they offer good rim protection too, only thing i didn't like was the sidewalls they looked cheap (i you know what i mean) whereas the Winter Goodyear ultragrip 8's i had on last winter looked great (especially the sidewalls)

The true quattro weather here over the last 3 days has given me a different perspective on the 235 all round set up. I still stick with the opinion that on a dry road the 235 all round makes no discernible difference, maybe just maybe a slightly greater tendency toward the straight ahead.

When the roads are wet the rear 235s make a huge difference but only with the ESP off (or sport mode). With ESP on and the APR Stage I map the RS3 will pogo's with power being cut at will by the overactive nanny of a system. It's like someone put kangaroo juice in the tank even at half throttle in D. The thing is I have no idea why the ESP is so keen to intervene. Turn it off and the RS3 accelerates, turns in and flows though corners allowing pin sharp apex accuracy. Never once does the RS3 feel out of control or like having the ESP off is in any way dangerous. With the 235 all round set up there is far greater wet weather stability than before. Where the warning sign of slip was a slight front push wide (is this what was engineered in by using 225 rear tyres, and what the motoring Journalists hate so much?) now there is much better balance and stability. I feel I can lean on the outer tyre far more and there is greater traction out of corners - and this is with the remap.

The remap does mean some more caution is required (you can read my tale of the run in with an unmarked A4 elsewhere!) because you do find yourself arriving at corners a little quicker than usual. This is still no problem as the RS3 stoppers are mighty and quickly shed the speed. Even with a few MPH too much on entry the worst you get is a little bit of complaint from the nose of the car running wide. More throttle at the apex to wake up the Haldex is the best way through but at the same time you can just let the speed scrub off if you prefer. The RS3 is still easy to drive in all conditions and has none of the spiky handling of the Evo or STi when it's wet.

As a wet weather ground covering device the RS3 has no peer in my experience, it's assured, safe, comfortable, gripping and just devastatingly fast, utterly brilliant. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are supposed to be dry optimised but they are supremely effective in the rain too.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, 45bvtc and CarrG
The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are supposed to be dry optimised but they are supremely effective in the rain too.

Thanks for this....I was wondering how they held up in the rain and wondered whether to play safe and go with the Goodyear Assy2 F1s but I think this comment has made my mind up.

I've run with Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Neros before and they were terrible in the wet - the PS3s I currently run are okay, but I'm not overly impressed in damp conditions so was wary about spending more money with a better tyre from Michelin.

Congratulation, please let us know how's the feeling of 235 all round? Should we need to turn the ESP to sport?
Since I am wondering if I should go 255 front as it needs a 8.5" wheel which I'm not sure if I can get it through Audi HK.

Audi HK confirmed they don't have 8.5" wheels for RS3, and said don't prefer to use 235 allround??? No reasons given, I need to chase them an answer.......

They probably don't prefer 235 all round because that's what the official sticker says on the car specs.

I can see no downside to the 235 all round combination, you can rotate the wheels to make tyre wear more even, the load rating is higher on the 235 and they only cost about £5-10 more than the 225 and you definitely get the benefit of better wet weather balance and grip on the RS3. Also you don't have to explain when ordering and fitting tyres that you want the narrower ones on the rear of the car - tyre fitters struggle with this.

I have a feeling that the 225 rear selection was all to do with the maximum tyre width the chassis was designed for and nothing at all to do with handling characteristics of the RS3.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Thanks for this....I was wondering how they held up in the rain and wondered whether to play safe and go with the Goodyear Assy2 F1s but I think this comment has made my mind up.

I've run with Pirelli Pzero Rosso and Neros before and they were terrible in the wet - the PS3s I currently run are okay, but I'm not overly impressed in damp conditions so was wary about spending more money with a better tyre from Michelin.

I agree on the P Zeros awful in the wet and wear quickly too. That's interesting with the PS3s because they outperformed the F1s in the wet in evo magazines tyre test this month. There wasn't much to choose between the PS3, Yoko Advan and F1 but the F1 got the nod on subjective feel, many tests agree so this seems fair enough.

The Super Sport is quite a different tyre, it's closer in feel and grip to the track specific tyres like Toyo R888 and Advan 048. The tyre will really let you push to the limit and at the same time communicate where that limit is. It's massive advantage over the track specials is that it works perfectly in the wet. There is more communication and vibration through the wheel - you do feel the surface changes through the wheel with the PSS fitted, in my world this is useful and good. In the wet you can use as much power as you dare with no need to worry about any sudden change in handling. I still think these tyres are the best 'modification' I've done pound for pound.

I agree on the P Zeros awful in the wet and wear quickly too. That's interesting with the PS3s because they outperformed the F1s in the wet in evo magazines tyre test this month. There wasn't much to choose between the PS3, Yoko Advan and F1 but the F1 got the nod on subjective feel, many tests agree so this seems fair enough.

The Super Sport is quite a different tyre, it's closer in feel and grip to the track specific tyres like Toyo R888 and Advan 048. The tyre will really let you push to the limit and at the same time communicate where that limit is. It's massive advantage over the track specials is that it works perfectly in the wet. There is more communication and vibration through the wheel - you do feel the surface changes through the wheel with the PSS fitted, in my world this is useful and good. In the wet you can use as much power as you dare with no need to worry about any sudden change in handling. I still think these tyres are the best 'modification' I've done pound for pound.

To your knowledge, can you get the 255/30/19 in michelin cup, r888 or Dunlop sportmaxx race? From what I've seen so far on the manufacturers sites, they only come in 35 profile, which I'm assuming is no good?

No sorry I have no more information than you, 35 profile is popular at that size. I can't see why 35 profile would be a problem, it might impact the speedo reading a little (it's 7-10% out from GPS anyway) but other than that it should be fine.

Cups or R888s (not experienced the race) would be great tyres for dry weather/track conditions but from my Westfield and R26.R days I can only say I found them a challenge (eg quite scary!) on wet roads, braking distances are huge when they are cold and both aquaplane and snap in to oversteer at quite moderate speeds. If you get and keep them warm they are fine even when wet but that is as good as impossible on the road. My Fiesta ST daily was much faster than my Westfield Sport 2000 (both ran the 2.0 Duratec running 200ish bhp) in the wet. Quite a few R26.Rs met their end on cold wet mornings on R888 (only about 70 left now from about 150ish sold). I'd keep this type of tyre for the track only, but I'd also love to try a set on the RS3 the track times would be blistering!

They probably don't prefer 235 all round because that's what the official sticker says on the car specs.

I can see no downside to the 235 all round combination, you can rotate the wheels to make tyre wear more even, the load rating is higher on the 235 and they only cost about £5-10 more than the 225 and you definitely get the benefit of better wet weather balance and grip on the RS3. Also you don't have to explain when ordering and fitting tyres that you want the narrower ones on the rear of the car - tyre fitters struggle with this.

I have a feeling that the 225 rear selection was all to do with the maximum tyre width the chassis was designed for and nothing at all to do with handling characteristics of the RS3.

I am not sure as I will ask them again Monday. My friend suggests they worry about rubbing the type shoulder as if 235 and some tyre are more angular (like Yoko AD08) instead of Conti so round in the shoulder. When you are full loaded with 5 adult, you may have rubbing at the back.

Yes I'd agree with that, if you regularly carry 5 adults then it might not be the best thing to do. I think John had a look at the arch previously and found there is plenty of room to adapt the arch if you wanted to. All depends how you use the car and what you want from it in the end.

I think we can now safely say the different front and rear tyre sizes had nothing to do with handling balance and all to do with cost as Audi didn't want to design a different rear arch - and how good would a box rear arch have looked. A real shame as imagine what it would be like on 255 all round. I've seen a few Evo Xs running tyres as wide as 285 and they were what you could only describe as proper fast on track.

Reactions: 45bvtc and DAYTONA 500
Yes I'd agree with that, if you regularly carry 5 adults then it might not be the best thing to do. I think John had a look at the arch previously and found there is plenty of room to adapt the arch if you wanted to. All depends how you use the car and what you want from it in the end.

I think we can now safely say the different front and rear tyre sizes had nothing to do with handling balance and all to do with cost as Audi didn't want to design a different rear arch - and how good would a box rear arch have looked. A real shame as imagine what it would be like on 255 all round. I've seen a few Evo Xs running tyres as wide as 285 and they were what you could only describe as proper fast on track.

In the summer months (7ºC average ambient and ABOVE) I run 255/30 (8.5J fronts) and 235/35 (8J rears): no rubbing/fouling problems on the rear - and this with 2-average weight people in the front and 2-above average (one very) in the back.

In the winter months (7ºC average ambient and BELOW) I run 235/35-Vredestein's front and rear on the original/standard 8J rims: no rubbing/fouling problems on the rear.

As for tyre wear/affect: front to rear tyres (summer and/or winter) show no adverse signs of being affected by Haldex control - but I do not drive my RS3 as if stolen, it's a keeper...

NOTE: I've just been out in an RS3 with newly fitted 235 front and rear Goodyear F1 tyres and have to say I was seriously impressed with the ride and compliance over drain covers at speed (70mph +) - very impressed…

Reactions: fanshu, T-800 and DAYTONA 500
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MBK

In the summer months (7ºC average ambient and ABOVE) I run 255/30 (8.5J fronts) and 235/35 (8J rears): no rubbing/fouling problems on the rear - and this with 2-average weight people in the front and 2-above average (one very) in the back.

In the winter months (7ºC average ambient and BELOW) I run 235/35-Vredestein's front and rear on the original/standard 8J rims: no rubbing/fouling problems on the rear.

As for tyre wear/affect: front to rear tyres (summer and/or winter) show no adverse signs of being affected by Haldex control - but I do not drive my RS3 as if stolen, it's a keeper...

NOTE: I've just been out in an RS3 with newly fitted 235 front and rear Goodyear F1 tyres and have to say I was seriously impressed with the ride and compliance over drain covers at speed (70mph +) - very impressed…
This is what i like about Forums {not all i hasten to add} and being an RS3 owner where people with a wealth of knowledge and years of experience in track and road share useful information working together to reach an end result which is beneficial to us all.:respekt:

Reactions: fanshu, monkeyboy_marcus, MBK and 2 others
Just checked on camskill

255 / 30 / 19 MPSS £ 209 each F1's £ 202.90 each

235 / 35 / 19 MPSS £ 179.80 each F1's £ 157.40 each

these seem good prices to me.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, MBK, 45bvtc and 1 other person
They are great delivered prices. For me Blackcircles worked out even cheaper for fully fitted after the extra discount via Tesco Clubcard points (including the spend £600 or more points).

This is what i like about Forums {not all i hasten to add} and being an RS3 owner where people with a wealth of knowledge and years of experience in track and road share useful information working together to reach an end result which is beneficial to us all.:respekt:

Well put, I agree I trust John's knowledge, advice and findings implicitly, people here have been beyond helpful throughout with none of the silly disagreements and one upmanship seen else where.

My take on tyres is this. We have 2 great tyre choices for the RS3/TTRS (and RS4 from what I read in evo).

Goodyear Eagle F1s - great road tyre with superb subjective feedback and progressive break away at the limit. They are keenly priced too. It would be good to see how the edges/shoulders hold up from someone who gets on it a bit (lol yes Garry I'm thinking of you!) as they get towards the end of life but I suspect they will be fine. Both the RS3 and evo RS4 owners report the transformation in handling and feedback, money well spent. From what I've read the main advantage of the F1s is that they just make you smile a lot more and enjoy the car as it was intended. I'm going back to a dedicated track toy for next year so I might give a set of F1s a run when that arrives.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - as a road and occasional track day solution, safe to and from the track whatever the weather. They are a little more pricey but you get all that Le Mans motorsport development and I know no other tyre that will grip almost as hard as dedicated rack rubber and still wear evenly. On Conti's you'd be lucky to do 2 laps before overheating, on MPSS you can do 10-12 laps (but you'll warp the standard discs in 4!) before the tyres get a bit greasy. On road the MPSS are equally accomplished but as I've said before there is for sure a little more road noise and you do feel the surface changes in more vibration through the wheel. In my world that is good but I can see it's not something everyone would want. As with the F1's you will smile more. When you get the MPSS properly hooked up through a corner you will be astonished at the grip levels (ESP off), you truly do need to recalibrate your senses.

Your money is well spent on either of these I'd be wary of saving a few ££ on other brands until you know for sure they won't, like the pricey Conti's, fall apart on the RS3.

Reactions: 45bvtc, CarrG, fanshu and 2 others
They are great delivered prices. For me Blackcircles worked out even cheaper for fully fitted after the extra discount via Tesco Clubcard points (including the spend £600 or more points).

Just for reference, I got a pair of Mich PSS from Black Circles and had to wait for ages for the Tesco points to come through on the missus' card. Apparently the "reward" you get is drip-fed out as money off vouchers over months - no big beer run unfortunately!

That is strange we got our vouchers about 8 weeks later as part of the usual clubcard mailing, all £125ish turned up in the same month as £25 vouchers. The Mrs was very happy. It works for us because she uses Tesco anyway, if she didn't the usual 'TyreBank' 5% off offer would still make Blackcircles about the same price and more straight forward than delivery/fitting.

Audi HK said they 'prefer' the rear to stay 225 widest as that was tested against the rear suspension together with the Haldex differential.?? They said the front is okay from 235 to 255 and they said 255 is a better choice but they don't supply the 8.5" wheel!!! So I ask if the tyre change will void the warranty, they said NO........

I guess 235 all round will not harm and they just stay with the book wrtten. That's my feeling on their answer.

I just got two 255/30/19 supersports fitted price of £440 for the pair from tyre web (who black circles use as my local fitter) the closest black circles could come was £491 with £25 worth of tescos vouchers........ £209+delivery and fitting from camskill.... I emphasise this is for 255's though. A for tescos vouchers - I'd rather have the cash to spend when and where I want!

That's a great price for 255s, I agree on the cash v vouchers when you get a better price anyway.

Also I have an update on the Pilot Sport Cups it seems there is an updated version that has both a better inside compound for wet grip, wider grooves and more vanes to prevent aquaplaning. The claim is they perform as well in wet conditions as the current PS3. If that is the case they would be quite an incredible tyre, massive grip on track (way above Super Sports) and still safe to drive home after and use everyday.

I'd like to see a test or two confirming that v the usual suspects like R888 and Dunlop Race but if so I might well treat the RS3 to a set next summer.

Well put, I agree I trust John's knowledge, advice and findings implicitly, people here have been beyond helpful throughout with none of the silly disagreements and one upmanship seen else where.

My take on tyres is this. We have 2 great tyre choices for the RS3/TTRS (and RS4 from what I read in evo).

Goodyear Eagle F1s - great road tyre with superb subjective feedback and progressive break away at the limit. They are keenly priced too. It would be good to see how the edges/shoulders hold up from someone who gets on it a bit (lol yes Garry I'm thinking of you!) as they get towards the end of life but I suspect they will be fine. Both the RS3 and evo RS4 owners report the transformation in handling and feedback, money well spent. From what I've read the main advantage of the F1s is that they just make you smile a lot more and enjoy the car as it was intended. I'm going back to a dedicated track toy for next year so I might give a set of F1s a run when that arrives.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - as a road and occasional track day solution, safe to and from the track whatever the weather. They are a little more pricey but you get all that Le Mans motorsport development and I know no other tyre that will grip almost as hard as dedicated rack rubber and still wear evenly. On Conti's you'd be lucky to do 2 laps before overheating, on MPSS you can do 10-12 laps (but you'll warp the standard discs in 4!) before the tyres get a bit greasy. On road the MPSS are equally accomplished but as I've said before there is for sure a little more road noise and you do feel the surface changes in more vibration through the wheel. In my world that is good but I can see it's not something everyone would want. As with the F1's you will smile more. When you get the MPSS properly hooked up through a corner you will be astonished at the grip levels (ESP off), you truly do need to recalibrate your senses.

Your money is well spent on either of these I'd be wary of saving a few ££ on other brands until you know for sure they won't, like the pricey Conti's, fall apart on the RS3.

LOL - I've not done many miles (under 300) in the 6mths I've had these F1's on the RS. They have held up well on my previous cars tho. Will report back when they start to go. ;-)