Middle-Age Crisis Car

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
We've had the hairdresser's car. I'd like to invite suggestions for another class of car, the "middle-age crisis" car. You know those guys who get to their mid-forties & suddenly start going to the gym, dying their hair & then buy a sports car to try & pretend they can still pull.

My first nomination has to be the Mazda MX-5. There's a guy in my office who bought one last year (it replaced a Hyundai S-Coupe!!!), shaved off his moustache & started wearing polo-necked sweaters. He's just celebrated his 50th birthday, and when I saw him out driving the MX-5 one day, he was actually wearing string-backed driving gloves. I laughed my fat @r$e off when i saw him.

Over to you guys.

[ QUOTE ]
djmotorsport said:
Steady with the stereotypes guys - 45 next birthday - Just signed to do the FPA Autumn Trophy - Any of you youngsters fancy your chances:)

DJ
A3 2.0 TDi Sport

[/ QUOTE ]

Phew!!! Thank Gawd for you....I thought I was one of the oldest here @ 41!!!!!! I'm backing you DJ, lay off us old guys.... some of us Oldies can leave you "Young Uns" for dead....and that's with our Zimmers!!!!!! When you "whippersnappers" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gifget to our age without overturning, ramming it up someones A**e then you'll understand the need for "Street Sleepers" like RS2's, T5's and of course VR6 Estates!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
berts S3 said:
How about the old shape slk think thats the one anyway the small drop top although it could still come under rich hairdresser. & mgf's or whatever rover call them now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, can relate to that one. A guy who's just moved into our street, must be 40 or 50+, had an SLK. Yet also has two old-ish Jags, XJS and something else. But he does seem to be moving in the right direction, just this weekend he's got shut of the SLK and got a C-class. What I don't understand is why get another 4 seater car, when he's got two already? Plus there's only him and his wife.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Z3 & 4

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that! Isn't the Z3 the worst thing BMW have made since the bubble car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Defiantely, I hate it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The 4 is much better

[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Hang on a minute aren't we getting into generalised stereotypes again?
Ahhhh, maybe that's because generally a stereotype is a pretty accurate depiction of the masses in a particular group, otherwise it wouldn't be a stereotype in the first place.
I don't know why people get so upset about generalisations, you can't really have a debate without them unless you start getting personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

but were in the UK....we can't go upsetting anyone can we /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

You guys are forgetting that its often the fact that when we hit fifty its the only time we will be able to afford some of the cars mentioned!

Yeah but iirc your stereotyping comments were Demeaning and insulting, in the specific and intended manner you used them, must be more philistines here than I thought they were?...sorry but this is kinda start to [censored] me off.....

[ QUOTE ]
caractere 007 said:
Yeah but iirc your stereotyping comments were Demeaning and insulting, in the specific and intended manner you used them, must be more philistines here than I thought they were?...sorry but this is kinda start to [censored] me off.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up, will ya! It's just a bit of fun. You remember fun, don't you? And, hey, if I can't take the you-know-what out of my own age group, then it's a pretty poor show. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

(BTW, anyone care to enlighten me as to what "iirc" means?)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Consider your self enlightened -

If I Remember Correctly

There's an old guy (over 60) at one of the sites at work who's driving around in a "Max'd" Fiesta RS Turbo, now that is just sad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif Were talking bling bling wheels and everything.

[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:
Consider your self enlightened -

If I Remember Correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, r88per. Never too old to learn something new.

Porsche has to be the archetypal 'mid-life' crisis car, what else is there to spend money on when you get to that age /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Got rid of the kids, paid for the house, been away on holidays and now bored with 'all that travelling' so what's next - Buy a Porsche 'whatever' cabriolet.

Driving gloves and goggles on, wearing your new pilots jacket, with added lambs wool interior for extra warmth, and your off with the roof down, even though it's only 5oC outside.

Marvellous! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 said:
[ QUOTE ]
caractere 007 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up, will ya! It's just a bit of fun. You remember fun, don't you? And, hey, if I can't take the you-know-what out of my own age group, then it's a pretty poor show. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

(BTW, anyone care to enlighten me as to what "iirc" means?)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry fella i was kinda refering to the sarcasm and digs in some of the posts that related to another thread entirely,..sorry should of stated that..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I'm your stereotypical S4 owning, white, 42 Year old, '[censored]' .......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

i forgot to add, bribe your early twenties daughter to come for a drive around the block so you can pretend you still have what it takes..... ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
er, hang on, i am not that far behind you aged, wrinkly lot!
choke.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

you know you are starting to get old when you laugh really hard and the bladder control isn't what it used to be....