Mileage on A3 Turbo's

M44 DUB

Reaction score
Hey peeps,

Was having a conversation with my friend last night who said that i have high miles on mines but i don't think i do.

Most MK4 golf's i went to see had at least 100k on the clock.

Mines is a 1998 on a R plate and had 62k when i got it in August 2006 and now has 82k.

Is this on average? What miles does everyone else have?

Average milage per year is 10 - 12 k so if yours is a 98 thats 9 yrs so i would say 90-108 k is average.

So i would say your doing well with just 82k!

My 98 A3 has 95k.

IMO milage isnt an issue with todays cars, if they are maintained properly they will last a very long time!

My dad used to tell me that with cars when he was a lad you would have something falling off it or breaking every week, so i guess 30 yrs ago milage was an issue!

Does he mean high mileage per year or a high total mileage. 12,000 per year is normally the figure considered average. However I am very much of the opinion that condition is a far better indication of the quality of the car. I've seen cars with less than 10,000 on the clock in appalling condition and others with over 150,000 that still looked fresh.

In addition some people have a slightly warped view of what is a high number of total miles on a car. Over about 30,000 to them the car has 'loads' of miles and will 'fall apart'. Not true for most modern cars - especially diesels.

I agree with the rest of the lads on this one, my 1998 A3 1.8T has just turned 70k and is still sweet as a nut :racer: I'd definately consider overall condition of a car before the mileage.

I'm picking up my A3 1.8T Sport on Saturday it has done 103k.
Looks well looked after and has had all the necessary done.
I can't wait!!!:arco:

Mines is a 1999 1.8T A3. I got 65k on mine. Bought it with 60k on it. Had it 6 months. Came with full service history. Runs like a dream.

Since I've had the car I've had a full service including spark plugs, New timing belt, New pads on the rear and now Im going for a new clutch in about 2 weeks as its starting to slip.

My S3 is just about to turn past 57,000 and it celebrated its 6th birthday at the start of January. I reckon it is just about run in!

Maintenance is key. I know some people have had turbo issues, but treat them with respect and they will keep going..

well mines on 134k now, and its 3rd gearbox!!!! but the engine still runs absolutely perfectly....

could there be any reason mine blows boxes?

the previous owner had the original box go at 110k, i bought it with 124k, and the new box went on me at 130. so its now on a brand new one again

its not as if its putting out a massive load of torque either, as the cars still standard!

well my 1.8tqs has is comming upto 72k an runs like a dream apart from the slight gear change problem but gettin that sorted soon. know a mechanic who had a renault kangoo van with 275000 on the clock an didnt use a bit of oil or water.......just goes to show a little tlc and regular services will go a long way:icon_thumright:

edward_harris said:
Maybe for a diesel! with full service history and as long as it's taken care of they should go to 200 wouldn't they?

A well looked after petrol should see you past that.

Its not the engine you need to worry about these days its everythign round about it

mine has done 124,000 a3 1.8t quattro, if service is done on time these engines should last a very long time

Prawn said:
well mines on 134k now, and its 3rd gearbox!!!! but the engine still runs absolutely perfectly....

could there be any reason mine blows boxes?

the previous owner had the original box go at 110k, i bought it with 124k, and the new box went on me at 130. so its now on a brand new one again

its not as if its putting out a massive load of torque either, as the cars still standard!

Mine is at 127000 ish. Recently had it dynoed at Star Performance and it made 235bhp from a standard 210bhp car!

What sort of money is in a new gearbox?

mines an a3 1.8t, not an S3 like yours, but the last time the previous owner had it done, the box alone was £1455 plus VAT and labour.....

this time when it went, the diff gave up, and sent a planet gear into the flywheel housing, destroying that too.....

so audi coughed up a new gearbox, clutch, and flywheel, all under the two year parts and labour warranty!

My 98 A3 1.8T S has done just over 112K. I bought it last year with a full Audi service history. Thats all i would say to look for is a good service history.

Feel a lot better now after seeing what everyone else has. Service is due soon anyway aaslong as i keep on top of it the car should last me then

Couple of days late - but thought I'd chip in:

My '98 1.8T has 128K and apart from the damn rattly seat, is going strong. Just changed the battery for 1st time, and other than a fuel relay letting me down - no major probs, that's the kiss of death...

R.