Milltek / blue flame /custom exhaust

jsws3

Reaction score
what do you think is the best exhust to fit on my s3 with a revo remap ?

I think its fair to say most people tend to go for the miltek bud! They do sound lovely tbh!

i'd go custom, blue flame are custom too, they just make patterns and knock out of the shelf versions.

milltek are pants, mine went rusty within 2 years

I have a blueflame on my Edition 30, the weld quality alone is superb.

I've got a custom zorst on my car. Turboback with decat cost me £485 fitted, has made gains alone without map and love the noise!

Good to know...
Im dying to get a zhort on my car.
Got a custom 76mm DP made and running the standar pipes. not sure which brand to look at... To ship a miltek over this side is going to cost as much as the exhaust itself so thats kinda out of the question. Im going ot have to go the custom route. Had a few custom zhorts built be4 for my classic cars so thats probably my best option. Just worried about my Maintanence plan... :s

I have Blueflame TBE since 9 months ago and due to its quality Milltek doesn't worth it bearing in mind how nice are Blueflame's finishes. I consider it a better choice not only because of the price, also because you have a full 3" exhaust (Milltek has only 3" diameter in the downpipe) with really nice weld quality (which in my opinion is a step over Milltek).

Here is a sample of my S3 with decated and resonated (2 silencers) Blueflame exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YHdw5_xUL4

Next week I'll be receiving from the Blueflame factory the non-resonated part of the catback...looking forward to having some more bursts & noise. I'll upload some vids then

Sorry for my english guys, I am from Spain:undwech:

Thanks to El Tortel and other Blueflame users. Has anyone gone the MV route yet? I am certainly thinking twice about Milltek from what I have read on here. :confused:

Can anyone explain to me how their stainless steel milltek went rusty ?

Its all about the quality of the stainless.

Well i admit that their claim to be using "aircraft grade" stainless is meaningless but i dont believe it rusts ! :) Stainless steels have sufficient amounts of chromium present to form a passive film of chromium oxide which prevents corrosion. to be honest, if it rusts then you have a valid complaint that the material was not S/S because the chromium levels were to low to qualify as stainless.

Last edited:
I've had my Milltek turbo back on for over a year now - 11,000 miles. It's done around 6 track sessions including a trip to the Nurburgring where it also pounded the autobahn at top speed many times. It's had a pretty rigorous workout I think.
No rust, no faults, no rattles, no problems, no complaints - and the performance speaks for itself.

Incorrect welding consumables can also cause corrosion in the Stainless parent material due to Cr dilution and carbide formation.
This will be made worse by the fact the exhaust will not have been post weld heat treated so if the welds arent right then it matters not how good the substrait is.
Im guessing the rot was in the welds ?

iirc most of these manafacturers claim to use 304 grade (18/8 Austenitic type) which is pretty decent stuff and used extensively in the Oil & Gas industry.
304 should only ever corode in conditions such as oxygen depleted media, like stagnant water, so if you have `rusty` pipes, then its either cack metal or you have had you car parked in a non big ole smelly puddle for the last 2 year.

This ends todays Metallurgy lesson.

Anyone still awake?:lazy:.........you will be tested on this later mind:no:

Please feel free to leave an apple on my desk on the way out.

Cheers:icon_thumright:
Paul

Last edited:
This is the worst part of the internet for me....somebody can come along and make a claim about a product and that product can then be rubbished along with the company.. Why..because someone See's some rusty water from their car burnt on to a S/S exhaust and suddenly the S/S and the company are crap. (or similar).

the scenario
someone buys a TV, takes it home and gets a crap picture because his Ariel is crap....He writes a review on Amazon about the crap TV and a few weeks later 60 people have thanked him for this helpful review !!...The £100k+ the TV manufacturer spent on advertising his product is undone by one idiot.

1000s of people are very happy with their Milltek and its a shame to see people on here saying they will think again about buying one because one or two people think the S/S rusts. Its a good British company making an excellent product.

This is the worst part of the internet for me....somebody can come along and make a claim about a product and that product can then be rubbished along with the company.. Why..because someone See's some rusty water from their car burnt on to a S/S exhaust and suddenly the S/S and the company are crap. (or similar)....

....1000s of people are very happy with their Milltek and its a shame to see people on here saying they will think again about buying one because one or two people think the S/S rusts. Its a good British company making an excellent product.

Very bizarre as I was going to write a very similar post. But then I reasoned that if they do have a poor experience with any product they are entitled to write what they like (so long as it is accurate)?.

People do seem to have issues with their Millteks, like they do with other products and parts, and surely it is only right to make others aware of potential issues? I agree that it would be good if there was a 1:1 ratio of good and bad, but sadly that is unlikely.

Mate this site and many others are full of complaints and very seldom is the balance addressed by positive experiences, you only have to look at the 8P section for that. In fact without "my X is broken" or "I received cack service" type threads there would be a lot less activity on here. Just because they are a "good British company" should not preclude them from honest user opinon - good or bad.

I agree with both Paddy and AuldReekie. No company in the world is free from faults and all of them will have issued individual items that would have failed quality checks at some point - doesn't mean the entire product or company is crap. If I buy a Mars Bar and it's off I don't say the entire Mars corporation is a global failure producing shoddy products. How many threads are there on here where people's Audis have had problems (thousands) ? But nobody posts saying "the quality of Audi cars as a whole is rubbish".

As long as we have balance.
Iggu just brought that to the thread IMO.

I would still consider Milltek.
As long as it was a local dealer/fitter that I could easy visit in the event of a problem.

Paul

Last edited:
@ Iggu and Paddy: I appologise as I missed the salient post! :asskicking: I have just read through the whole thread again and see the comment you are referring to about "Milltek the company" being slated. However, taken in context I don't think that the OP is referring to the company as a whole, but then there is only one person who can clarify that.

Anyways, back on thread: I think that given Nate got a custom TBE made for a lot less than Milltek, et al, more competion in the market is welcome. I also note that on the 8L section a lot more of the guys have gone the custom route and are having good experiences. I would hate to think that we/you are paying extra over the actual cost just for a name.

I'll be going for a Milltek on the cupra but only because it was a bargin, otherwise I woulf have gone for blueflame, just to be different

The only reason I wouldn't go for a custom setup is the unknown level of sound that will come out of the back :)

P.S. Doesn't the milltek come with lifetime warranty?

Miltek's customer service IMO & experience = FAIL

Miltek's products = WIN

I would have bought one for my car, but they didn't make it, so I HAD TO go custom.

Blue flame don't make a 3.2 A3 exhaust either so its Milltek for me. Its S/S and has a life time guarantee for £529. I bet the standard Audi exhaust is not £500 and with a life time guarantee :laugh: I dont see a thread here about rusty standard exhausts :laugh:
You get what you pay for.

:wacko:
Very bizarre as I was going to write a very similar post. But then I reasoned that if they do have a poor experience with any product they are entitled to write what they like (so long as it is accurate)?.

People do seem to have issues with their Millteks, like they do with other products and parts, and surely it is only right to make others aware of potential issues? I agree that it would be good if there was a 1:1 ratio of good and bad, but sadly that is unlikely.

Mate this site and many others are full of complaints and very seldom is the balance addressed by positive experiences, you only have to look at the 8P section for that. In fact without "my X is broken" or "I received cack service" type threads there would be a lot less activity on here. Just because they are a "good British company" should not preclude them from honest user opinon - good or bad.

I take your point and agree 100% but my scenareo was for a guy who rubbishes a TV because he has a bad ariel, not a bad TV. The problem is that once you have non experts giving misguided and non expert opinions then people can be very quickly mislead. I dont think that a Milltek that "lasted 2 years" and was "pants" is the whole story. It had a lifetime garentee so what did Milltek say ? did it rust or was there a lttle surface corrosion that could be cleaned off with autosol ?, had it been grounded on a speed hump :ohmy:. I'm all for carefully considered opinion but i dont think its fair in general,that a companies reputation that may have been built up over many years is now at the mercy of "S.Smith from Wopping" via Amazon :wacko:
still.....thats life :)

Interesting to note that Tesco fuel is being rubbished on another thread by " experts" yet the test results posted today say...

The Tesco 99 fuel again outperformed V Power in all the tests but the differences between the two fuels were marginal and we doubt most people would tell the difference in their cars on a day to day basis. However the Tesco fuel was the most consistent.

???

I watched a review about 2 years ago paddy on Fifth Gear testing V-Power/BP/Tesco etc on a scooby and V-Power won by far. I'm not an expert, I just go on my experience of using different fuels, in cars I had over the years and cars I've driven.

N8K
I didn't mean "experts" in a derogatory way....hope no offence caused :thumbsup:

Yeh I know, its cool man. LOL. Was just saying I use v-power and milltek etc cuz my experience with them and friends and family etc experiences are all spot on.