Mintex discs n pads, worth the extra money?

Nathen

Reaction score
Found these Mintex drilled and grooved discs and pads on eBay, I've bought a set of them before for my old Peugeot 106 GTI years ago and liked the look of them through the wheels, time has come to change all the discs n pads on the A3 wondering is it worth buying these and forking out the extra money just so they look nice or is there going to be any benefits from them in terms of braking efficiency or just saving money and getting some normal Bosch discs n pads, that do probably the same job and we all like Bosch:) it's for an 54 plate Audi A3 2.0l TDI 8p BKD140 also are the disc sizes stated in the picture right for my car? Cheers
5588da5580580a840300279d809fe46b.jpg
0f2715cc11e0b096776d47a950b6a92a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would say the Mintex brakes are better than the Bosch versions. Do you know which version of pads they are?

Mintex are a good "old name" loved by many. However, these days the company is owned by TMD friction (who also make Pagid/Textar) and Mintex is said to be their "value" aftermarket product these days, made at the same UK factory that makes the "value" brand for Euro Car Parts - "Eicher premium". However, Mintex will still provide a good, solid, safe EU approved product - as opposed to some dodgy, unbranded Chinese product via an unknown ebay source.

I agree that the drilled/grooved looks sporty. Some people say that drilling weakens the disc - who knows, maybe they do in a track context, but I've noticed that new Mercs are still fitted with drilled discs on the front.

I would say the Mintex brakes are better than the Bosch versions. Do you know which version of pads they are?
No idea which versions the pads are, it just says a set of front and back mintex pads, are there different variants then?

Mintex are a good "old name" loved by many. However, these days the company is owned by TMD friction (who also make Pagid/Textar) and Mintex is said to be their "value" aftermarket product these days, made at the same UK factory that makes the "value" brand for Euro Car Parts - "Eicher premium". However, Mintex will still provide a good, solid, safe EU approved product - as opposed to some dodgy, unbranded Chinese product via an unknown ebay source.

I agree that the drilled/grooved looks sporty. Some people say that drilling weakens the disc - who knows, maybe they do in a track context, but I've noticed that new Mercs are still fitted with drilled discs on the front.
Oh right ok, and if drilled discs are said to be weaker than a solid disc which I didn't think of but does make sense thinking about it, then I might just stick with a normal disc and pads tbh play it safe, and if these are made by the same company that does make Eicher brakes then surly it would be better to go with a brand like Bosch or Brembo?

On the A3 2.0ltdi 140 is the front brakes 288mm and the rear 255?

On the A3 2.0ltdi 140 is the front brakes 288mm and the rear 255?

Sounds likely for the FWD TDI 140 car but ideally you need to check the three digit codes on the label stuck to the boot floor and service handbook.

Bosch, Brembo, Pagid, Textar, ATE & Jurid all good, premium names for discs and pads - owners have their own preferences. Take your pick

Sounds likely for the FWD TDI 140 car but ideally you need to check the three digit codes on the label stuck to the boot floor and service handbook.

Bosch, Brembo, Pagid, Textar, ATE & Jurid all good, premium names for discs and pads - owners have their own preferences. Take your pick
Ok I'll have a look now thanks for the advice, and probably gonna go with Bosch tbh can't really go wrong then :)

On my 2005 2.0 TDI, I had brembo discs and pads fitted. Fronts were 288mm and rears were 253mm (according to the invoice). They work fine, but would they be much better than a Bosch disc? I'm not sure.

In hindsight I would probably have gone with these fancy discs that apparently stay corrosion-free (probably a lot longer than your average disc): http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/audi/a3-2003/a3-2-0-tdi-140bhp-01-05-12-08.html

On my 2005 2.0 TDI, I had brembo discs and pads fitted. Fronts were 288mm and rears were 253mm (according to the invoice). They work fine, but would they be much better than a Bosch disc? I'm not sure.

In hindsight I would probably have gone with these fancy discs that apparently stay corrosion-free (probably a lot longer than your average disc): http://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/audi/a3-2003/a3-2-0-tdi-140bhp-01-05-12-08.html
Thinking about it metc does ring a bell it might of been those discs I had on my old 106 GTI with mintex pads, like I say may just go with Bosch can't really go wrong there.

A lot of discs today have an anti-corrosion coating. The Brembos do - theirs are a darker, gun metal colour rather than the more common silver/zinc.

Get on ECP - 50% off brakes (and other bits) until Sunday @ Midnight using code HOLIDAY50

Plus I can guarantee that these are just regular disks that have been CNC'd for that price.

Brakes ain't something you want to cheap out on.

Get on ECP - 50% off brakes (and other bits) until Sunday @ Midnight using code HOLIDAY50

Plus I can guarantee that these are just regular disks that have been CNC'd for that price.

Brakes ain't something you want to cheap out on.
I work at ECP so get a pretty good discount anyway haha :) yh i know that's why I was asking advice on here tbf seeing what people thought of em, thinking of brembos or Bosch tbh, price bosch discs and pads front and back at £170 before my discount so pretty good tbh, thanks for the reply.