Mirror glass???

kolash

Reaction score
33DB591C DB61 4C16 91C4 7226823F0A05

started car this afternoon to find this.
Mirrors folded, no sign of damage at all. Main dealer telling my £400 for the glass only, even the parts man was shocked.

Has this been stolen, if so how?!

What are my options?

How can I double check main dealer was checking the correct part number?

last thing I needed was a bill like that

s3 8v 2017

In my opinion stolen. Those 2 wires are the heaters. Stiff to get off. I would of expected more damage if it had been hit. £400 is extortionate. Breakers on Ebay.

Reactions: kolash
I remember when I was quoted similar for the mirror glass ended up been cheaper buying a whole set of mirrors off eBay.

I then swapped the glass out for aftermarket glass and sold the mirrors for more than I bought them for .

Just an idea if you can be bothered to do it !

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I remember when I was quoted similar for the mirror glass ended up been cheaper buying a whole set of mirrors off eBay.

I then swapped the glass out for aftermarket glass and sold the mirrors for more than I bought them for .

Just an idea if you can be bothered to do it !

Great idea. I need it sorted quickly though. Was just out now and in 20 years I’ve never driven without a mirror. So disorientating!

Anyone know how I could get the part number quickly?

Also would the non-dimming glass be a direct fit? This could be a short term fix

Yes, the non-dimming glass is a direct fit and a lot cheaper!

I installed dimming mirrors to my S3 a few months back. I bought a set of complete wing mirrors from eBay with the glass already installed. I removed the glass and put my normal heated non-dimming glass back in and sold them on for a decent price.

It’s a pain but trawl through the ebay listings looking for folding mirror housing with the glass in already (easy to identify as it has the line around the edge). Some sellers don’t know they even have them or how much they’re worth so you might just get a bargain.

Last edited:
Yes stolen as if it had come loose the heater terminals would have held it . However my eyes are old but I can't see any cables for dimming in that photo ? Only heating . Have you got auto dimming interior rear view mirror ?

Yes stolen as if it had come loose the heater terminals would have held it . However my eyes are old but I can't see any cables for dimming in that photo ? Only heating . Have you got auto dimming interior rear view mirror ?

Is auto dimming standard on S3? Might be why they targeted me.

Is it possible to tell if either the wing or rear view are auto dimming by looking at them? Useful to know when scouring eBay photos for a used wing mirror!

Is auto dimming standard on S3? maybe why they targeted me.

No not standard on the wing mirror . If your interior mirror isn't then the wing mirror won't be . Have you a photo of the interior one ? I also a photo of the passenger side as if that is the the driver would be

Auto-dimming mirrors were an option across all models. Earlier cars had just the driver’s door mirror as an auto-dim optional extra, but later on in the 8V lifecycle, Audi made both mirrors auto-dim (as an optional extra).

I also couldn’t see the dimming mirror electric cable in your housing either. It looks like this:
CE6-E8442-356-E-4-E4-F-90-A9-FB5849779294.jpg

Dimming mirror glass is easily identified by the “line” around the edge of the glass.
5-A8-C72-C5-8195-473-C-9160-6-A8389799038.jpg

Auto-dimming mirrors were an option across all models. Earlier cars had just the driver’s door mirror as an auto-dim optional extra, but later on in the 8V lifecycle, Audi made both mirrors auto-dim (as an optional extra).

I also couldn’t see the dimming mirror electric cable in your housing either. It looks like this:
CE6-E8442-356-E-4-E4-F-90-A9-FB5849779294.jpg

Dimming mirror glass is easily identified by the “line” around the edge of the glass.
That is brilliant thank you. I’ll check very carefully in the daylight. I cannot recall seeing that connector.

That is brilliant thank you. I’ll check very carefully in the daylight. I cannot recall seeing that connector.
Left in a hurry without keys to open the mirrors but I could see that the passenger side has the line around the perimeter of the mirror glass. Strangely I could not see a connector on the driver’s side. Maybe it had dropped inside or maybe cut if they couldn’t get it off? If so will definitely replace with a non dimming for the short term whilst I find a used replacement.

Will have another look later.

I have a pair of non power folding mirrors which I have recently swapped for power folding on ebay at the moment complete with glass if you are interested
part no for glass is:-
Drivers door mirror glass reverse

No not standard on the wing mirror . If your interior mirror isn't then the wing mirror won't be . Have you a photo of the interior one ? I also a photo of the passenger side as if that is the the driver would be

6F711A8D 3E31 4BF8 84F4 08D53DA718E7
944B73E0 7F6E 4F1C 895D A28EAC83E781

C5F2A354 19F5 4C55 8C15 2F632BA8F7B2

DB908978 5167 498C BD7A D506F08737AA

No sign of the cable, looks like no way it could have fallen into the housing.

They both look dimming to me pal . But if you've never known you've had it then you can put non dim on driver . Maybe even change passenger to match . If you sell the passenger it'll cover the cost of 2 non dimming