Mirror puddle lights

MT-V6

Reaction score
I am interested to know if anyone has had any luck retrofitting mirror puddle lights (like the Golf etc). The door modules support the coding of "+2 Ambient Mirror Illumination" (on my TT and I believe the A3 is the same). The pin 10 is physically missing, and I have added a pin to this and enabled the coding. The light works in VCDS output tests, but not when unlocking the car/opening the door etc. I know that the module might be missing something else or maybe EEPROM for this, but clearly the PCB does support it to an extent. I wonder if anyone else has this working, and if not has any advice for this mod/retrofit?

My brother has a Golf MK6 with them so my next plan is to have a closer look at his modules and maybe swap them into the TT to see what happens

Reactions: TheMightyBK
So output tests do illuminate the lights?

So output tests do illuminate the lights?
Yep, well it's just temporary wiring but it is still connected up. During the output test it was at about 12v too. The PCB clearly has the circuit in place but I'm wondering if:

1) some setting on the module is still not enabled even though the coding is enabled, I'm thinking eeprom as I can change it with VCP but need to make comparisons with a known good module. I do have a Scirocco one which I will try again

2) there is a signal via canbus that the car sends to the door module, that is not in place on Audis. By testing my brother's MK6 module on my car I can rule that out, but not sure when I will be able to try that. The output test is sending that signal but the car (BCM?) isn't during normal use perhaps

Either it's not getting a signal from say convenience system which controls locking or door module as you say needs base hex changing.

Had some success today. Started off by making the wiring a bit 'tidier' (still temporary) and double checking my assumptions above. As I mentioned the coding does enable the feature, as shown in the measuring block. Also the output test does turn the light on and off. This is with my TT module with extra adding pin. I will document this once I have everything working. Video to show this here, using VCP as I like how you can have multiple windows open at once so you can watch the measuring blocks at the same time as changing the coding/output tests

I then fitted the Scirocco module to see if the light came on with unlocking the car, opening the door etc. It didn't, but after messing around I thought I'd leave it for a while to power down/reset etc. I was also unsure whether it was affected by the auto lights/coming home/leaving home. Anyway I went out later in the day in the dark, and it seems to be working like this:
  • Comes on with unlocking car (when headlights in auto - in time with coming/leaving home lights)
  • When opening the door - ONLY the driver door though, passenger door does not cause it to turn on
I'm not sure if this is how it behaves in the Scirocco or not? Also I now want to know if the TT module does in fact work in the dark, so that is my next step. I'm glad the BCM/convenience system supports it as that would be a lot more complicated to work out. Either way I think that is good progress for the day

An update of this, some of the above is not correct

This light is definitely linked in with the coming/leaving home lights and also the auto lights, as it only works in the dark, which is cleverer than I expected it to be

It also comes on with either door opening, but again on in the dark

I am going to fit a light to the passenger door today so I can be sure it all functions properly before I cut holes in my wing mirror cases to mount the LEDs in

They seem to be working on both sides. Need to get some mirror cases now and cut the holes, get them painted and will then be able to permanently fit them

I am interested to know if anyone has had any luck retrofitting mirror puddle lights (like the Golf etc). The door modules support the coding of "+2 Ambient Mirror Illumination" (on my TT and I believe the A3 is the same). The pin 10 is physically missing, and I have added a pin to this and enabled the coding. The light works in VCDS output tests, but not when unlocking the car/opening the door etc. I know that the module might be missing something else or maybe EEPROM for this, but clearly the PCB does support it to an extent. I wonder if anyone else has this working, and if not has any advice for this mod/retrofit?

My brother has a Golf MK6 with them so my next plan is to have a closer look at his modules and maybe swap them into the TT to see what happens

MT-V6 did you sort this out as ive just fitted folding mirrors with the puddle lights, the right one works when opening the door but the left dont seem to work but its working when i do the output test..​

And you coded both sides?

Reactions: ed30izzy
And you coded both sides?
yes both sides are coded. the right one comes on when opening door . but the left dont.. but it does comes on when i do the output test on vag com. same issue as the person who made this orignal post. so hoping they see this and can maybe help

Assume you've done a power reset in the door module as sometimes they need this to recognise coding, just do a battery disconnect for 5 minutes.

I can't recall which module the OP used in the end for both doors, maybe he can confirm.

yes both sides are coded. the right one comes on when opening door . but the left dont.. but it does comes on when i do the output test on vag com. same issue as the person who made this orignal post. so hoping they see this and can maybe help
What door modules are u using when u fitted ur folding mirrors .

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

In the end I was being mixed up by the fact that the mirror puddle lights are somehow linked in with the auto headlights/coming and leaving home lights. When I was testing things in the day it wasn't working, but in the dark they did. That is why I eventually just wired some lights up and left them in the door for a while so I could monitor what happened when using the car

All that was needed in the end was to insert the pin into the PCB and code them, same on both sides. I'm not sure what could stop yours working, especially if working on output tests. Have you definitely used the right pin, and not accidentally linked it into another illumination circuit?

In the end I was being mixed up by the fact that the mirror puddle lights are somehow linked in with the auto headlights/coming and leaving home lights. When I was testing things in the day it wasn't working, but in the dark they did. That is why I eventually just wired some lights up and left them in the door for a while so I could monitor what happened when using the car

All that was needed in the end was to insert the pin into the PCB and code them, same on both sides. I'm not sure what could stop yours working, especially if working on output tests. Have you definitely used the right pin, and not accidentally linked it into another illumination circuit?
So they are factory mirror puddle lights already on my folding mirrors. so the right one works like yours at night and when i open the door... but the left one will only work on vag com when i check the output test .

im using 1k0959701 N MAX3 and 1k0959702 N max3
Are they from a Golf etc just i have 801/802p as my modules for my auto folding on a S3 8p . Was just curious TA

Are they from a Golf etc just i have 801/802p as my modules for my auto folding on a S3 8p . Was just curious TA

yeah they from a golf mk5 and ive got them on my edition 30

So they are factory mirror puddle lights already on my folding mirrors. so the right one works like yours at night and when i open the door... but the left one will only work on vag com when i check the output test .
What mirrors do you have as there were no factory fitted mirror puddle lights on the 8P. Are they from a VW?

I'm not sure why each side differs. Were the modules from the same car?

What mirrors do you have as there were no factory fitted mirror puddle lights on the 8P. Are they from a VW?

I'm not sure why each side differs. Were the modules from the same car?
i have a vw golf edition 30 and the mirrors came from another mk5 golf r32 i think and the modules came from another mk5 that had folding mirrors .. so the mirrors work fine fold perfect , the drivers side puddle light works as normal , just the left one dont and like i said it only works if i do an output test on vag com..

i have a vw golf editoion 30 and the mirrors came from another mk5 golf r32 i think and the modules came from another mk5 that had folding mirrors .. so the mirrors work fine fold perfect , the drivers side puddle light works as normal , just the left one dont and like i said it only works if i do an output test on vag com..
to be honest im in the audi forum cos the golf forums are dead and no one responds .