Mirrors

Mike1981

Reaction score
Can anyone explain in lamens terms how to make the passenger mirror "dip" when you select reverse??? Really annoying me now. Tried everything last night and it won't work. Tried setting it in the same simple manner as my previous VW, and followed the Audi instructions to the letter and it's having none of it.

Set the mirror adjustment to the passenger side mirror and leave it there. At least that's what makes it dip on mine

Is the knob set to the left mirror adjust position all the time ?

If not it won't work.

Once it does dip then set it to the preferred position so that you can see the kerb then it should remember that position. Someone is bound to be on soon with exact line by line instructions much clearer than mine. Also check in the MMI if there is a box that needs ticking for this to work. Ah another thing this may only work if you have the folding mirror option - I'm not sure ???

That's exactly how my VW would work. Will have another fiddle tomorrow afternoon as it was stressing me out

Is the knob set to the left mirror adjust position all the time ?

If not it won't work.

Once it does dip then set it to the preferred position so that you can see the kerb then it should remember that position. Someone is bound to be on soon with exact line by line instructions much clearer than mine. Also check in the MMI if there is a box that needs ticking for this to work. Ah another thing this may only work if you have the folding mirror option - I'm not sure ???

Don't have folding mirrors on the car. Was such a simple task on the old car

I'm sure I read somewhere that the non folding mirrors don't have the Kerb dip enabled. It can be done through vcsd though iirc

I don't have folding mirrors but got it enabled via VCDS
Ah, so it's because I don't have the folding function? That feels like Audis being a bit cheap. Pretty standard function for any car these days

The misses uses the dipping mirrors all the time. Hasn't stopped her curbing both alloys in 2 days
I find that if the mirrors are adjusted correctly you don't need them to dip.

Reactions: Mike1981
I'm new to Audi so not clued up on VCDS, my wife is the reason I wanted them to dip. She's normally ok parking and doesn't mind admitting she likes them to dip. Can't believe it's not standard

Have a look on the VCDS map and find someone local that willing to add this for you. You can also look in the VCDS mod section at the other things that can be added.

Needle sweep
Lap timer
Oil temp in DIS (drivers information display)
Fog lights as cornering lights (not sure if I like this)

Phil

Reactions: Mike1981
Yeah just found someone on the map thanks. From reading up other people's experiences on the mirror mod, I might leave it. I was just getting myself wound up thinking it was a standard feature and I was doing something wrong lol. Glad you've put me straight on it

Reactions: Phil-1
I enabled this on my last car a Leon using VCDS and whilst it was 85% there at times it never returned fully and required a manual tweak because some sensors were physically missing from the mirror assembly. Same with my mates Octavia VRS.

Hopefully on the 8V this isn't the case but Phil or someone else with the mod will be best to advise.

But the trick is guys is getting the drivers mirror to dip also, I have a nasty drop on one side of my drive and this would come in handy.

The coding is there for it but it doesn't work. Must be for other parts of the world where they drive on the wrong side of the road , and the drivers mirror becomes the passenger mirror.

I enabled this on my last car a Leon using VCDS and whilst it was 85% there at times it never returned fully and required a manual tweak because some sensors were physically missing from the mirror assembly. Same with my mates Octavia VRS.

Hopefully on the 8V this isn't the case but Phil or someone else with the mod will be best to advise.

This happens on the 8v also. It stops a little higher every time until your pointing at the sky.

I just switch it over to the left when reversing and back to off position when I'm done, this way it returns to the correct position.

I used to own a new shape Leon.

That was advertised as having dipping passenger door mirror on reverse.

However, it never worked right, never returned to the original position and that was a factory install! In the end, they stopped doing it, or certainly stopped listing it as a feature!

Read this somewhere else... (I have folding mirrors)

1. Turn on engine and turn mirror control switch to left hand mirror position
2. Put the car in reverse
3. Adjust the mirror to your specific dipped position
4. Come out of the reverse gear and set your mirror control switch back to the center position (mirror should move back to its normal position)

The only little niggle is that you have to manually select the switch each time you reverse and want the mirror to dip and need to set the mirror control switch back to the center again to have it return back.

Read this somewhere else... (I have folding mirrors)

The only little niggle is that you have to manually select the switch each time you reverse and want the mirror to dip and need to set the mirror control switch back to the center again to have it return back.

I leave my mirror switch set to the passenger mirror (as per the manual) and it dips/returns to normal with no issues.
The manual does state that it will return to normal 'as soon as you drive forwards at over 15km/h or switch off the ignition'.

Reactions: RG
@marshalld Thanks have never tried waiting for it... maybe I'm too impatient... Always learning with my Audi

Surely that's got to be doable as a hack? Would be the Euro version of the UK mirror dip?

Reactions: The Challinor

Unless you want the mirrors to defrost, demist or dry after rain (in which case you'll need the next right hand click after the right hand mirror position) I just leave mine in the left hand mirror position and selecting reverse dips it automatically.

I'd like it if I could leave the switch in reverse dip mode but still have mirror heating active, oh well.