Missing service mystery - advice?

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
I've just picked up a nice 2018 S3, which appears to be missing a record of a service.

The details are that it's just had a non-franchise oil change at 21k miles, plus I can see on Erwin that it had an oil change in 2019 at 7k miles at an Audi dealer. While 14k and 2 years is a bit of a gap, it's not outrageous and so this was factored into the deal I made to buy the car.

The plot thickens though... On the MMI, I can see it says an Inspection service is due in c.18 months' / 15k miles' time. This suggests to me that it also had an Inspection at about 17k miles in September 2020, which seems plausible given the pandemic.

As I say, there's only the first year / 7k service recorded on Erwin (digital service schedule). Is there any possibility that there's a service recorded somewhere, but not in Erwin? I only ask because although I have a copy of the fresh 21k service entry onto Audi's system, that isn't showing up a week later on Erwin either.

A dealer should be able to pull up any dealer or independent (accredited) garage maintenance records, as long as it’s been recorded on the system.
If there is a gap, and you’ve negotiated a reduction in purchase price, I would be inclined to get its next service sooner rather than later, including any missing service items from the official service history :racer:

Thank you.

I can see from the keyring I was given and (more reliably!) Erwin that it had its PDI in March 2018 and first service in March 2019 at Blackburn Audi.

Unfortunately the car has come without its book pack. I'm not really bothered about it given that it has a digital service record / manual and I've verified the basics through Vcheck, Erwin and Cazana. It would be fine even if it was a 2-year, 14k "longlife" service gap.

I suppose I was hoping that it had been serviced at an Audi franchise - but not recorded for whatever reason - around 18 months later, as indicated by the MMI and recent 4 new tyres. I suspect it was done, but either not entered onto Erwin and / or not completed by a franchise.