Mixing oil

Jay

Reaction score
Had an oil change recently but dont know what grade they used. The guy who changed it didnt seem to know either just that it was fully synthetic (synta gold). Is it ok to top up with any fully synthetic oil as I still have a bottle of Mobil 1 0w40.

cheers

Think synta gold is 5w40... synta silver is 10w40 as i used it from audi and was asking the difference!!! both are vag oils and both fully synthetic!! Dont think you can mix them as there of different viscosity!! If not sure, have an oil change!

If you go into Audi and ask for synta gold, it will most deffinately be 5w40 (been there and asked that) The tuning company i bought the car from Said syntagold 10w40 but is actually in a silver bottle!! lol.

i would have thought that you could mix the oil and it shouldnt cause any harm. Of course it would be better to use the same type but you'll just have a mix of oils with different properties at different temperatures.

Confirmed synta gold is 5w40.

I was told that I could use the 0w40 I have to top up with as they are both fully synthetic? confused now...

Yes you can mix oils as long as you dont mix semi synthetic with synthetic and the other way round, oil viscosity will not change that much if its only a top up.