Mk 5 golf Gti vs a3 tfsi 2.0 sportback Quattro

OVRA3

Reaction score
Just had a little off the lights number with a mk5. He was one up I had 3 in the car.. Seemed quick easily kept up with me and some.. Time for a remap! Lol but seriously are they quicker, is it because the sportback Quattro is a heavy beast? I thought I would have whooped a Gti?

Off the lights i would say it would be close until around 60ish but after the GTI does have a weight advantage..I would actually say up to around 60 you should be quicker, 3 up explains it better but i would say a GTI is faster as it weighs less being FWD.

With weight in mine it feels sluggish big time compared to one up.. Think it's time for that bluefin!! Lol damn golf thought he was going to overtake me lol

Mind you just had a look and the quattro weighs in at around 1415kg....GTI is probably mid to low 1300kg....Only 100kg in it id put you down faster from a dig, rolling should be pretty close. Having 3 up does explain it though

In the wet you would have beaten him easily as i have the same setup as a gti in my fwd 2.0tfsi and it is near impossible to make a rapid getaway in the wet! The golf does have the same 197bhp as your car so not surprised he kept up with you :) remap time!! mine is on the way :)))

Chris

Weight and power train losses through the Haldex system means a GTI is more than a match. And it uses the same engine. Game over sorry!

REMAP!!!! Have to be honest car felt quick but I'm over it.. Already contemplating s3 sportbacks but for now I think I need that 45+ bhp in my life like a fish needs water!!!! Urge for more power is a killer and tonight sealed the deal!

REMAP!!!! Have to be honest car felt quick but I'm over it.. Already contemplating s3 sportbacks but for now I think I need that 45+ bhp in my life like a fish needs water!!!! Urge for more power is a killer and tonight sealed the deal!

Lol they are a totally different car with a remap :).

Same here! Car used to feel properly quick but now just feels nippy! Cant wait for remap, its not just the extra power but the more power at high revs and extra torque, you should keep your car a 2.0t quattro remapped is basically an s3!

Chris

Yer the quattro gets a great start but the extra weight and the golf was probably dsg so catches up in the end

Chris

Same here! Car used to feel properly quick but now just feels nippy! Cant wait for remap, its not just the extra power but the more power at high revs and extra torque, you should keep your car a 2.0t quattro remapped is basically an s3!

Chris

Totally agree mate when i got the dv Upgraded it was like a rocket but time and driving to Cambridge a lot has made it feel just quickish.. It's time... Also my mate has an impreza prodrive and it would be nice to keep up!!!

Not sure like the idea of bluefin so I can switch and it's cheaper than shark.. Still undecided at the moment.. But leaning towards bluefin I think

Yer fair enough, shark sts allows you to switch aswell, can i ask how much it is for bluefin on your car, just out of curiosity?

Chris

385 last time I looked.. What about the shark roughly speaking?

It works out around £400 for my sts remap but that was because there was a special deal on them a few months ago and mark (Brodster) has kindly sorted me out with it at that price :)

Chris

Interesting!!! Now youve made me think twice!!!

Get it remapped and then it will feel quicker than a standard S3. They are completely different once remapped, they come alive and are loads more responsive!

Speak to Mark, he is a great guy and has been so helpful with me :), Scott do you have a shark remap?

Chris

No I am running a Carbon Chip Tuning map on mine which was supplied by Rhyso who posted earlier in the thread :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Speak to Mark, he is a great guy and has been so helpful with me :), Scott do you have a shark remap?

Chris

Had a big month this month with damage repair after some idiot hit me ! So need to swerve this mrs as she is keeping an eye on the car spend lol but next month is another pay day!!!!

I owned a 2.0T quattro for 2 years and had it mapped for much of that time using Bluefin (c.240bhp). Now owning an S3 S-Tronic, I can say that the 2.0T is definitely not as quick as a standard S3 even with a remap to the 2.0T. However, the K03 turbo'd car is a smoother engine that the larger K04 turbo'd car. Even better, get an S3 and remap it.

IIRC, the weight of a 2.0T quattro is actually more like 1,450kg - a major weight disadvantage over a Mk5 Golf GTi.

I came from a MK5 GTi to the A3 2.0TFSI Quattro, both with DSG.
GTi seems the nippyest, but A3 is smoother and quieter so it's a close call on dry roads.
In wet/greasy roads the A3 wins hands down.
I've never been able to spin the wheels at the same junctions/ places where the GTi would.

Reactions: OVRA3
Hi James,

you aren't far from us, we can do you a full custom remap :) As others have mentioned, it really does wake the car up.

Regarding the Golf vs Audi debate, it's the Golf Ed30 you need to worry about. I've just done one and it made 320bhp at under a bar of boost. Combine that with low loss FWD and you have a quick car!

Rick

i found this quite an interesting thread as i have been looking at the MK5 GTI & MK5 GTI edition 30 along with the A3 2.0T quattro and the S3.

unfortunately due to me and gf splitting up, i am wanting to buy her out of the house we currently own so i will have to scrap the S3 and the edition 30.

therefore i am looking at the std mk5 gti and the A3 2.0T quattro.

after having a look around and on various forums/websites its a pretty close match between the GTI and the A3, they are both pretty similar price but the A3 seems to be slightly better equipt than some of the std GTI's iv looked at.

ideally i would like to get an S3 but due to that being ruled out im swinging towards a A3 quattro and doing some mods along the way! what i would like to know is how does the A3 2.0T quattro compare with an S3? handling wise? is it the same as the S3 apart from the engine? or are there other things on the S3 to improve the handling etc? i know the S3 has the KO4 and uprated fuel pump/injectors etc (correct me if im wrong) but i have read about people making modifications on the mk5 GTI to the handling by using some S3 parts?

sorry to hijack your thread James :)

Cheers,

Josh / Jay

I owned a 2.0T quattro for 2 years and had it mapped for much of that time using Bluefin (c.240bhp). Now owning an S3 S-Tronic, I can say that the 2.0T is definitely not as quick as a standard S3 even with a remap to the 2.0T. However, the K03 turbo'd car is a smoother engine that the larger K04 turbo'd car. Even better, get an S3 and remap it.

IIRC, the weight of a 2.0T quattro is actually more like 1,450kg - a major weight disadvantage over a Mk5 Golf GTi.

+1, don't want to rain on any parades here but I have driven a Stage 1 A3 2.0 TFSi and it was no match for a standard S3.

As above, it was a lovely ride though, fuel economy was still a hell of a lot better than the S3 and that K03 really is smooth.

Hi James,

you aren't far from us, we can do you a full custom remap :) As others have mentioned, it really does wake the car up.

Regarding the Golf vs Audi debate, it's the Golf Ed30 you need to worry about. I've just done one and it made 320bhp at under a bar of boost. Combine that with low loss FWD and you have a quick car!

Rick

Thank Rick, I will bear it in mind, as in my earlier post just trying to swerve the Mrs's watchful eye of my spending so it may be a month away but def def having it done so will let you and the others do when i have managed to launder the money ;-)

i found this quite an interesting thread as i have been looking at the MK5 GTI & MK5 GTI edition 30 along with the A3 2.0T quattro and the S3. unfortunately due to me and gf splitting up, i am wanting to buy her out of the house we currently own so i will have to scrap the S3 and the edition 30. therefore i am looking at the std mk5 gti and the A3 2.0T quattro. after having a look around and on various forums/websites its a pretty close match between the GTI and the A3, they are both pretty similar price but the A3 seems to be slightly better equipt than some of the std GTI's iv looked at.ideally i would like to get an S3 but due to that being ruled out im swinging towards a A3 quattro and doing some mods along the way! what i would like to know is how does the A3 2.0T quattro compare with an S3? handling wise? is it the same as the S3 apart from the engine? or are there other things on the S3 to improve the handling etc? i know the S3 has the KO4 and uprated fuel pump/injectors etc (correct me if im wrong) but i have read about people making modifications on the mk5 GTI to the handling by using some S3 parts?sorry to hijack your thread James :)Cheers, Josh / Jay
When I was looking a couple of years ago I found the Golf GTi 2.0 with the same 197bhp engine as the A3 2.0 TFSI was two insurance groups higher and about 2 grand more to buy at 3 years old.

When I was looking a couple of years ago I found the Golf GTi 2.0 with the same 197bhp engine as the A3 2.0 TFSI was two insurance groups higher and about 2 grand more to buy at 3 years old.

thats indeedy what i found too! thats why i have decided to go for the A3 quattro! just wanting to know abit about the differences between this model and the S3 on handling etc :) cheers!

Jayy

Why did you expect to beat a GTi? It's lighter than your SB + fwd saves more weight and power-losses + and he was 1-up = you were keeping up with him, not the other way round.

thats indeedy what i found too! thats why i have decided to go for the A3 quattro! just wanting to know abit about the differences between this model and the S3 on handling etc :) cheers!

Jayy

Because I was driving an Audi and he was driving a VW :icon_thumright: ha ha.. Ok I take your point!

...what i would like to know is how does the A3 2.0T quattro compare with an S3? handling wise? is it the same as the S3 apart from the engine? or are there other things on the S3 to improve the handling etc? i know the S3 has the KO4 and uprated fuel pump/injectors etc (correct me if im wrong) but i have read about people making modifications on the mk5 GTI to the handling by using some S3 parts?

As I say, I've owned both. The 2.0T quattro will usually come in S-Line trim, but is / was also available as an SE - either way, it's an engine available as part of the "normal" A3 range whereas the S3 is a model in itself.

I was very fond of my old 2.0T quattro and I think it had aged very well when I sold it at 5 years old. They are very nice cars and age well in S-Line trim, with some options and a nice metcallic finish.

You have to remember that a 2.0T will come in one of two trim lines (SE or S-Line) and, along with all other A3s in the same trim line, will have been optimised as an attractive and reasonably comfortable car. In short, it wears a very similar mechanical spec whether it's in 1.6 105bhp or 2.0T 200bhp form - and you won't find significantly better brakes, suspension etc other than what comes with the trim line. To be fair, the quattro cars get their own suspension settings and other minor mods (and you could argue that a Golf GTI doesn't go very far over a GT), but the work is really aimed at finessing a good all-round car rather than creating a performance model.

The S3 is developed as a separate model line and while, yes, you can swap some parts around - it's a lot of effort to make an S3 out of a 2.0T quattro. My S3 drives very differently to my 2.0T quattro and it's not always better. Around town and for family duties, the 2.0T gives access to its torque at lower revs and is a smoother drive under 2,500rpm. The bigger K04 turbo of the S3 makes it feel slightly less rounded in character, but is significantly more rewarding at higher revs and when driven with vigour.

I'm running out of puff now, but I'd just add that the S3 handles and brakes a lot better too. In short, you could get to a similar power level to a standard S3 with a 2.0T, but you'd need to go a lot further to re-create the full experience.

The S3 is a different level of performance, over the 2.0t the differences are suspension/damping, exhaust, turbo, brakes, stronger engine parts to cope with the additional power, bodykit, wheel etc. There are many differences, from what people who have owned both have said a remapped 2.0t is like a semi skimmed s3 not quite the full thing but close!

Chris

cool :) cheers for the info guys, much appreciated your views.

Jayy