Mk1 TT Quattro TDI Conversion

george_seamons

I'm on the naughty step
Reaction score
I am building a mk1 TT Quattro TDI for a friend, and I am going to try to keep this updated as much as I can (I have a terrible habit of doing stuff then thinking "That would have been good to photograph while I was doing it!).

The original car is a BAM engined 1.8t Quattro. My friend picked it up dirt cheap because the engine is knocking (suspected big ends), but everything else is in tip-top condition:

The donor car is a W reg PD115 mk4 Golf. Again, picked up dirt cheap...and I can see why! The turbo blew, and the car was just parked up after that, whilst it had a water leak, and the interior is now absolutely covered in mould!

The plan is to pull the engine, fuel pump, fuel lines, ecu and wiring loom from the Golf, and transplant them into the TT, although I'm sure there will be more to it than that! (nothing is ever that easy!). Once the car is up and running on the PD115 turbo, a bigger turbo (probably a PD150 hybrid) and injectors etc will be fitted, as well as an FMIC. Should make for a fairly capable car!

So far I have pulled the engine loom out of the Golf, and labelled all the connectors up:

The rest of the engine body loom has been labelled too:

I then took the dash out, and started labelling all the plugs behind it:

Last edited:
Got the loom out of the Golf, amazing how much there is an a fairly low spec old car. Inside and out there are 96 plugs labelled and recorded, and even the some of them are doubled up (radio, climate control etc):

Then pulled the front bumper off, and got the air con rad, and coolant radiator ready to come off:

Then hooked up the engine crane once the exhaust and driveshafts etc were disconnected:

Then pulled the engine out:

Now I have everything I need from the car, so it can go off to be weighed in. The engine and box need a damn good clean, they're rank!

Next up is pulling the engine and loom out of the TT once the Golf has gone to make space for it. Stay tuned!