Mk5 GTI to S3 ... and other questions

ub7rm

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have a mk5 Golf GTI and am looking to change it for something newer.

Since I bought the GTI 4 years ago my daily commute has changed from 13 miles a day to 60 with the obvious affect on my fuel bill. The type of journey I do suits the 2.0T's 'frugal' side I return approx 34 mpg long term. Mostly cruising at 50-60 mph...

I'd be interested to know of anyone who has gone from a mk5 GTI to an S3 what drop in fuel consumption they noticed. I guess as long as you did the same journey in both cars it gives me an idea what to expect.

Any idea what sort of discount the dealers are offering on S3 SB's at the moment?

My head is telling me to go for a TDI 170 Quattro BE so would also be interested to hear about what sort of discount I should be looking at for one of these too.

I got 9% from dealer on mine.

Unless you drive the S3 carefully you'll be doing well to see anything with a 3 in front of it. My average MPG whilst running in has been 28.9mpg.

The diesel is great, but they are 2 quite different animals. I wouldn't be without Quattro now, great in all weathers, but would pass on the diesel purely as I don't do big miles and I love an engine that revs.

Swapped my Mk5 GTI for my S3 a couple of months ago. Like you I used to average 34-35mpg, in the S3 I'm getting 26-27mpg. So I get about 70 miles less from a tank...can't win them all!!

well i went from mk5 gti to s3, and you will defo notice the difference in fuel consumption... the s3 is quite thirsty!
my average in the s3 is about 26-28mpg but i am pretty heavy footed and its mostly town driving. I get around 220-250miles from a tank (£75 on tesco momentum) but there are some people on here getting 300+ miles so i guess it depends alot on driving style.

my old gti (i do miss it a bit when i look at the old pics)
7e3ce918.jpg

my s3
3c6ec3ca.jpg

Get the s3 you defo wont be dissapointed

Yeah this is the hardest battle between the head and the heart yet.. Doesn't help that the wife is pushing for the S3!

Thanks for that, I was expecting a drop in MPG but I'm surprised at Vee Dub Dan's drop. I had kind of thought that since I was getting to 98% of the official combined MPG for the GTI I'd be looking at about the same %age of the official S3 consumption (around 33 MPG) but it sounds unlikely!

I used to get 25mpg in my crappy 318i and that was pure torture cause it was slow as fack too, TDi is a whole different ball game though I can get 300miles from half a tank doing the type of mileage your going to be doing, but around town i only get about 35mpg if if im enjoying myself. Plently of guys on here have put hybrid turbo's into their 2.0TDi's and are pushing 250bhp and the torque figures are earth moving! Question you have to ask yourself is, can you really put up with them fuel bills! I'd rather put that money aside and get a weekend car.

Now don't get me wrong if I could get insurance I would be straight onto an S3, but then I don't have a 60 mile daily commute :happy:

I went from a MK5 to S3.
Both bought as stock then remapped with REVO. Both brilliant cars, both ate their clutches. S3 was 4-5 mpg thirstier but very much worth it.
You will not be disappointed with the S3, superb car.
Kept mine for 3 year and sold only due to change in circumstances.

Good luck

Paul

Personally went from A3 2.0T to the S3 and I see 5/6mpg difference. If I was in your dilemma, I'd go for the S3 over the diesel fella. Better drive, better looking, better fun.

Thanks for all the info. 5 mpg drop sounds more do-able than 8-9 mpg drop.

26-28 mpg around town with a heavy foot sounds pretty good actually. When I'm on the way to and from work I drive pretty sensibly and its a pretty steady 50-60 mph road all the way to work with no traffic or stopping to deal with which seems be the type of journey the 2.0T (in the golf anyway) is pretty fuel efficient at for what it is.

I've got the option of taking the wife's shopping trolley some days to reduce the fuel bill but its more than likely I'll end up having to fill both cars up regardless of who put the miles on!

I think I'm going to investigate my options with a nearly new S3 sportback to take some of the sting out of the monthly expenses. I really like the way the 170 TDI performs, I was really surprised actually, but I can't help thinking that everytime I see an S3 I would regret the decision. The pictures on here aren't helping!

Thanks chaps :thumbsup:

I have a 55 mile commute each day in my S3 and it's rural A roads for the first 20 miles and then 7 miles of stop start. I average 30mpg on my commute taking it steady at 60mph. At the weekends, however .........

S3 all the way mate,
Its no good being the richest man in the grave yard,you only live once we don't get another chance .
I 've had mine for 2weeks and it make my face ache every time i take it out ,i just can't stop grinning.
S3 three's are tools they are juicy and i wouldn't run one for the work journey ,so the wife has it for her once aweek trip to the local shops which is about half a mile,and i play with it at week ends job done .