mkiv Golf R32 - Deep Blue Pearl

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Volkswagen Golf R32 mkiv – Major Paint Correction Detail

I was invited over by Jonny from Pure Detail again in the North West to lend a helping hand on the Golf. It was booked for his “purest” detail; a wheels-off, full interior, engine bay and major paint correction.

On the first day Jonny had deep cleaned the car in readiness for my arrival early Thursday morning – Thurs & Fri were spent machine polishing and then the interior, engine and arches etc tackled last thing Saturday morning.

After a 5am start and a two hour journey, I arrive at PD HQ:

DSC_0001.jpg

Although it hasn’t got many miles on the clock (~35k), the Golf paintwork was rather abused! Two words, ‘car wash’.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg

It was obvious we’re going to have to go aggressive with this one.

My first before/after on the bonnet:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Two hard hits were required with FastCut+ and Ultrafina on a foamed wool Lake Country pad to get the desired results.

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

Jonny testing the Lake Country wool pad before moving onto his own Meguiars wool pads:

DSC_0015.jpg

After I’d corrected the N/S quarter of the bonnet with wool, I stepped down to a foam polishing pad with Menzerna 203s to refine the finish further.

50/50:

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Working my way down the N/S.

Before/after:

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

Wing/door 50/50:

DSC_0032.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

The large wool pads are all well and good but you’re unable to get in close to panel edges etc. Further correction had to be made with the 3M compounding spot pad ensuring every area was defect free.

Before (where the wool pad wouldn’t reach safely)

DSC_0036.jpg

And after with the spot pad work:

DSC_0037.jpg

A nice 50/50 on the N/S rear door:

DSC_0038.jpg

Probably the worst area on the car was the roof. Riddled with defect but several scratches that were far too deep to remove.

General before and after:

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg

50/50 on the rear quarter showing how much colour & clarity is lost when your car’s covered in swirls.

DSC_0048.jpg

Video footage here: YouTube - Volkswagen Golf R32 mkiv - WhiteDetails

Again, on the rear quarter, a before/after:

DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg

Clarity and gloss restored:

DSC_0052.jpg

N/S finished – working my way round the bootlid:

DSC_0054.jpg

After with halogens:

DSC_0056.jpg

After without halogens:

DSC_0057.jpg

After with the Brinkmann LED inspection lamp:

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

Bumpers badly scuffed too. More wool compounding required.

DSC_0065.jpg

50/50 low down on the sill:

DSC_0066.jpg

Jonny finishing off the backend:

DSC_0068.jpg

Due to the immense build up of dust and polish residues, the car was jetted down outside and brought back in for drying.

Engine bay dressed:

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

Interior wiped and a hoovered. Paintwork IPA’d and protected. Glass cleaned. Tyres & arches dressed. Pretty much finished!

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg
DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

General before and after:

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg

50/50 on the rear quarter showing how much colour & clarity is lost when your car’s covered in swirls.

DSC_0048.jpg

Video footage here: YouTube - Volkswagen Golf R32 mkiv - WhiteDetails

Again, on the rear quarter, a before/after:

DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg

Clarity and gloss restored:

DSC_0052.jpg

N/S finished – working my way round the bootlid:

DSC_0054.jpg

After with halogens:

DSC_0056.jpg

After without halogens:

DSC_0057.jpg

After with the Brinkmann LED inspection lamp:

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

Bumpers badly scuffed too. More wool compounding required.

DSC_0065.jpg

50/50 low down on the sill:

DSC_0066.jpg

Jonny finishing off the backend:

DSC_0068.jpg

Due to the immense build up of dust and polish residues, the car was jetted down outside and brought back in for drying.

Engine bay dressed:

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

Interior wiped and a hoovered. Paintwork IPA’d and protected. Glass cleaned. Tyres & arches dressed. Pretty much finished!

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg
DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

Quite a transformation! A stunning colour to work on (Deep Blue Pearl). Lovely.

Thanks to all those involved.

Jim

lovely results! love that car! One question.. what do you use as an ipa.. and where do u get it from? Is it just to wipe down any residue after the polishing?

It's to make sure the surface is squeeky clean of any oils or polish residues before sealing or waxing Gops. Need to get some of this myself. Great work Jimmeh.

Just noticed - sorry about the double-post half way through this one...

As above, Gops. An IPA (I brought mine neat from PolishedBliss) wipedown ensures the paintwork is clean and free of oils from the polishing stage in readiness for the protection stage.

Cheers guys.

Thats an incredible turn around - awesome.

Quick question - what did you use on the exhaust trim?

I have a sooty black residue on mine thats rock hard and can't seem to shift it with anything I have tried so far.

Cheers

Thanks Dave - what have you tried on the exhausts so far?! The above had 00 wirewool and Autosol thrown at them... If they're really caked, you can use a dremel type machine with a polishing head or similar?! (never looked into this myself though)

Hi Jimmeh

I tried some wire wool and an alluminium polish and it did shift some of the residue but felt I wasnt getting any further with the inner rims of the the SS trims (the rest looks spot on just after perfection). I will change the grade of the wool and give this Autosol a try - failing that I will charge the drill! :)

Thanks for the tip!

Dave

Amazing mate, car looks spot on as usual...

Well done mate.

Amazing work, very impressed!
Just getting into detailing in a big way and loving it, but I have a follow on from a previous question:
I understand what IPA is for and what it does, could I use autosmart tardis to clean off any polish residue after machine polishing before sealing?

Cheers(hope to post pics of results)

stunning colour and car

top work as you always do jim and i love reading your write ups dude

top work mate!!

s4twiggy, whats your thoughts on using Tardis to wipe down panels after polishing?

I'd stick with alcohol to wipedown the paint rather than something solvent based like Tardis. There are a few diff forms of IPA out there, Menzerna's Top Inspection is readily available and will work just fine.

Using Tardis IMO wouldn't leave the paintwork 'clean'; it's a greasy product and would leave it's own oils/residues behind where as alcohol (IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol)) doesn't.

Thanks for the advice Jimmeh! glad you said that, I might have tried the Tardis. Budget (wallet) wont stretch to any more products this month, it will have to wait!

Cheers
(Amazing work BTW!)