MMi Dial Orientation

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
Guys, is it me or is the orientation wrong when truning the dial.

Like turning it right should move down through the menus not up.
Im guessing this is becuase its not been adjusted for use with right hand cars.

Is there a way to change it. still cannot get used to it.

There's an option in the settings I thought for it. Mine goes down when I turn right I'm sure.

Need to check when I get in the car, maybe I'm imagining it and I've gotten use to it. But it sounds like something I would get super annoyed about!

Last edited:
I think it is "meant" to be backwards. No setting to change this iirc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It’s backwards to me as well. Just like the gearstick on the dsg.

PFL And FL cars are in different directions. It’s bugged me since owning the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnM100
Yeah, my guess is these cars where primary made with china and usa in mind then got lazy when bringing them to the UK.

Yeah, my guess is these cars where primary made with china and usa in mind then got lazy when bringing them to the UK.

The rotation would be the same regardless what side the dial is on to the driver so why would they switch it for rhd to lhd.

Interesting thing, pretty sure in my S5 is the dial goes the "correct" way round, will have to double check when back at my car

Haha! Being German, they probably had their own market (Eu) on their mind more than China or US! But I can confirm that my LHD, is still the wrong way round!

PFL And FL cars are in different directions. It’s bugged me since owning the car

I was just thinking this - good to know I’m not imagining it. I do agree with you though, and being left handed the PFL orientation worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PFL And FL cars are in different directions.
So which one d'you reckon goes which way?

Mine is 2017, and when you twiddle the knob clockwise it scrolls down the menu.

Good, init?

Last edited:
Look at the curve on the side of the menus and relate that to the dial, and it'll make sense...

Reactions: 6EGA3
I thought the same thing when I first got the car (pfl) but you get used to it.

I think fl is other direction or option to choose.

I thought the same thing when I first got the car (pfl) but you get used to it.

I think fl is other direction or option to choose.

Is there a different rotation between the normal MMI and the tech pick one?
Can’t see why Audi would change the rotation between pfl and fl

OK mine is actually anticlockwise to go down and clockwise to go up. I thought was other way round.

Though this is the same as the volume dial.. I don't mind it as most of the time I'm scrolling down (I generally listen to music on shuffle and just scroll down to skip stuff).

I just find the handmotion of scrolling anticlockwise to be easier.

It follows the curved cursor on the left. Makes sense once you get used to it!

IMHO, the PFL turn direction makes more sense than the FL. Whenever I sit in a FL car, I find that very weird.

I just think turning clockwise should scroll down, feels more natural to me I guess.

Attachments

• dial.png
    dial.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 177
There's no setting in the MMI and you can't change it with VCDS.

The scroll wheel went the opposite way in earlier MMI versions. My wife's Q3 goes the opposite way from my RS5. Both are 2018 cars but the MMI in the Q3 is from an earlier generation.