Facelift MMI firmware update

Adam sielski

Reaction score
So, I’ve been looking into upgrading my firmware on my mmi. I have a A4 2017 model and the media drivers are; clu6_mcm_au_er_g21_042...

The only problem is that I’m sure the screen is too small for the whole number for the firmware.

Has anyone updated theirs and other than asking Audi to upgrade ( even though it’s like getting blood from a stone asking them ) is there another way?

Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done it for the MMI and VC. The firmware is available to download online (don’t ask me where or for links.)

It’s a simple transfer to SD job and the. Plug in and go.

in truth unless you’re suffering from stability issues there is very little point in doing it. The changes are minuscule to the point that unless they were pointed out to you, you’d probably not even notice.

Ahhh, ok. I was mainly wanting it so I can activate the WiFi Apple CarPlay but I’ll just stick to map updates

Cheers

Ahhh, ok. I was mainly wanting it so I can activate the WiFi Apple CarPlay but I’ll just stick to map updates

Cheers

WiFi Apple CarPlay? Is this available for your 2017 car?

The options for it to be turned on are there, including the 5ghz switch. I wouldn’t see why it isn’t

Just because there is an option to turn it on, you don't state with what, means diddly squat with Audi. You will be unlikely to get any support from them either. If you want advice with any aftermarket stuff then AS member @DJAlix is your man...

The options for it to be turned on are there, including the 5ghz switch. I wouldn’t see why it isn’t

Settings are indeed there but your MIB2 system does not support wireless CarPlay, its an MIB2.5plus onwards feature.

Reactions: cuke2u
Cheers guys, Thanks for all your info I might start looking back into it when all the other stuff has died down

Settings are indeed there but your MIB2 system does not support wireless CarPlay, its an MIB2.5plus onwards feature.
Do you know if it would be possible to fit the newer MIB systems into the early B9s?

I guess anything is possible if you've a bottomless wallet. The main MMI unit would need to be replaced, the display, the virtual cockpit, possibly the wiring and parts of the dashboard. Then you would need to code it back to Audi...

I guess anything is possible if you've a bottomless wallet. The main MMI unit would need to be replaced, the display, the virtual cockpit, possibly the wiring and parts of the dashboard. Then you would need to code it back to Audi...
My question was less about whether you could physically replace the entire dashboard of the car and more about the compatibility between the two MIBs, if they shared any common hardware, etc. Given Alix's knowledge of the cars I thought he would have some idea as to what would need changing.

I do agree though, probably the MMI unit, screen and VC at a minimum.

The hardware is different from our cars to a 2020 model, which is the reason why the google overlay will be disappearing from ours soon.
I guess you mean @DJAlix

The hardware is different from our cars to a 2020 model, which is the reason why the google overlay will be disappearing from ours soon.
I guess you mean @DJAlix
Yes, of course. Just because they have changed the GPU it doesn't mean they've refreshed the entire architecture of the MMI system.

It's touchscreen for a start, the whole OS would have to be changed or re-coded, perhaps they are no longer using QNX. It has OTA updates. I don't know we seem to be arguing the same points really. As you state, if anyone knows it is @DJAlix if he has stripped one back...

Reactions: Kondax
It's touchscreen for a start, the whole OS would have to be changed or re-coded, perhaps they are no longer using QNX. It has OTA updates. I don't know we seem to be arguing the same points really. As you state, if anyone knows it is @DJAlix if he has stripped one back...
Not necessarily, I highly doubt they have reworked the entire MMI OS from the ground up. The touchscreen is just a different input device, it wouldn't have been difficult for them to integrate that into their current software. It's more likely just reskinned, it won't have meant reprogramming the entire OS.

Not had a reason to test this as yet but my guess is that fitting an MIB2.5plus in to an older platform vehicle will not work without issues. A missing touch panel may be one such issue but I can bench golf MIB units with Audi screens and controls at the moment so not 100% sure. The biggest will be the screen itself as the current range of MIB2 displays will not support the resolution of the new units, this and the screens in question are also way larger so physical fitment will be an issue unless your happy with gaffer tape on your dash :)

Edit: the OS is still QNX

Reactions: tickedon and Kondax
Not had a reason to test this as yet but my guess is that fitting an MIB2.5plus in to an older platform vehicle will not work without issues. A missing touch panel may be one such issue but I can bench golf MIB units with Audi screens and controls at the moment so not 100% sure. The biggest will be the screen itself as the current range of MIB2 displays will not support the resolution of the new units, this and the screens in question are also way larger so physical fitment will be an issue unless your happy with gaffer tape on your dash :)

Edit: the OS is still QNX

Already got a load of crap in the car, some gaffer tape wouldn't hurt! Thanks for the response, seems about right :)

I'll have to wait and see what you come up with. Hoping to keep the car for a few years, wouldn't mind the new screen. Although saying that, I absolutely hate the VC. Who knows.