MMI Nav System Plus - with Connect - Text message dictation?

Toadoftoadhall

Reaction score
One thing thats been a slight annoyance is the text dictation feature that for some reason I cannot get to work. I have iphone 5s connected by cable (with official Apple lightning adaptor) and have tried it connected handsfree - I have been able to receive texts whne connected either way. I have Audi connect working properly with its own Sim card.

I can receive texts on my iphone (which are displayed in the telephone menu and the car will read the texts out to me. However I should be able to send a message on reply by using the dictate message function.

My message settings in the MMi are activated (ie the 3 yr licence is activated) but whenever i try and use the voice system i always get same "This function is currently unavailable". I initially thought this may be in poorer signal areas but have tested in full 3g signal areas with same result. :think:

I have checked through the MMI car handbook and cant see anything I have missed.

Q1 has anyone sucessfully used the text message dictation feature with iphone 5S?
If so is there some not obvious MMI setting I may have missed?

Q2 - The brochure and the handbook both suggest even if I dont connect my iphone 5S - that I should be able to use messaging using the sim in the car (which is not just a data sim) again, this doesnt work - has anyone done this?

Its a small thing but its bugging me!

Doesn't work on my 5S either.

I think that when the connect system swapped over to 4G it removed all of the other non data functions. I don't get any text dictation at all on mine.

The 5s will show text messages (new ones received when driving) on the MMI though

Might not help you but I have used the dictation function to send a text through an attached android phone. I have a data only sim in the car. My car is prior to connect being 4G.

Cable connection has nothing to do with the messaging feature, it's all done over bluetooth where supported. I guess it just isn't supported on your phone? Perhaps the MAP implementation in the bluetooth stack is incomplete. I've heard other people say iPhones can't show you all the messages already on your phone as well, another limitation I expect.

For your Q2, there are some MMI settings somewhere that dictate which SIM should be used for various features - either data or phone functions. I don't think you'll be able to use bluetooth for calls and your data sim for messages though, not sure you can separate them.

Yup. Dictation won't work with an iPhone. It doesn't support it.