MMI Software update ?

Scaglioni

Reaction score
Hi,

Last week it seems that there may have been an OTA patch to the MMI. "Welcome Screen" had altered, privacy warning note re-appeared and the map setting has been altered. Seemed fine for a few days then entered a multi-reboot cycle. Sometimes coming up with no users and no stored settings and at other times coming back up as the usual user. At the same time loss of outgoing audio on the phone ( android auto and also via bluetooth ). Parked up for a few hours and on coming back up it reverted to the prior welcome screen and has been stable since ( apart from a reboot on the M49 - it always does reboot southbound on the M49 ! ).

Spoke to local dealer this morning and they report no knowledge of any update or patch.

Very odd.

Noticed an update last week, and didn’t see any issues, but seemed to be another one on Friday, as got an error on dash that it failed to update and to contact an Audi dealership!

Noticed an update last week, and didn’t see any issues, but seemed to be another one on Friday, as got an error on dash that it failed to update and to contact an Audi dealership!
A disturbing issue is that we are definitely getting "Updates" of some form but the dealership this morning stated that this does not happen and that they have no record of it. Mine ( 03-2021 car ) is currently running MMI release-34.11-MQB-2033-SNAPSHOT-13.08.2020 ( FWIW ).

As far as I was aware you only get map updates over the air not software updates as these need to be done by being plugged into the main dealers system

As far as I was aware you only get map updates over the air not software updates as these need to be done by being plugged into the main dealers system
Something changed that caused the MMI "Welcome" screen to be different. It included user initials as a blue watermark to the left of the name which was never present before and has not been present since the system multi-rebooted. The data privacy warning ( that has not appeared since I told it not to back in March ) re-appeared. The maps ( that are always in plain map ) had been reset to google satellite view. It may well not have been a full MMI system update but something MMI related had certainly taken place. A few days later I had my first day of the multi-reboot problems. Possibly a coincidence I admit but also unlikely.

Something changed that caused the MMI "Welcome" screen to be different. It included user initials as a blue watermark to the left of the name which was never present before and has not been present since the system multi-rebooted. The data privacy warning ( that has not appeared since I told it not to back in March ) re-appeared. The maps ( that are always in plain map ) had been reset to google satellite view. It may well not have been a full MMI system update but something MMI related had certainly taken place. A few days later I had my first day of the multi-reboot problems. Possibly a coincidence I admit but also unlikely.
I must admit I now have the Blue Initials that weren't there before- Didn't spend long enough in the car to see if anything else had changed

I do have the flickering MMI on car play - Need to try that I suppose

Everytime I've gone for update option it says install USB card reader etc so assummed it was a dealer only thing

Who knows these days

Mine had the blue initials this morning on the login page, it wasn’t there yesterday

The initials came on my wife’s name about a week ago but not mine. We thought it was something the system had picked up off her phone being connected. A couple of days ago it disappeared and went back to normal. Strange!

My car was in the dealership last week having a window regulator and alternator replacement and whatever work they did it required a software reinstallation around the MMI and sat nav. Ever since I got it back it's had my initials in blue letters on the home screen when this wasn't there before.

I haven't noticed any other issues or problems to be fair.

I've got this on mine as well - blue initals on the logon page when I start the car - so yes, somethings up!

Reactions: Q5 TRS
Of course basic software updates can be done OTA, though I'd assume these would only be minor UI updates. What's more worrying is that dealerships have no records of these. There should be release notes with each update either publicly or internally published for dealerships or customers to reference. This obviously isn't happening.

I must admit I now have the Blue Initials that weren't there before- Didn't spend long enough in the car to see if anything else had changed

I do have the flickering MMI on car play - Need to try that I suppose

Everytime I've gone for update option it says install USB card reader etc so assummed it was a dealer only thing

Who knows these days
Just checked my software and none of them have changed since built/collected the car in November and if you search updates none available need to put usb reader in

So what changes have been made (Blue Initials etc) aren't anything major

Just checked my software and none of them have changed since built/collected the car in November and if you search updates none available need to put usb reader in

So what changes have been made (Blue Initials etc) aren't anything major
Agreed - but how - and what changes are done other the air - it's puzzling?

Agreed - but how - and what changes are done other the air - it's puzzling?
It certainly is - I thought Map updates only but with the initials now appearing unless that gets picked up from the APP which has updated

I also have the blue initials, priced it straight away last week. Also noticed it wiped all favourites for radio stations AGAIN. How can the tech be so ******* bad when others get it right, **** poor from Audi.

Not sure when this happened but using navigation it now shows the next road at the top of the digital cockpit if it’s set to show nav shortly before you change roads etc. quite a good feature, don’t recall this happening previously.

How do we update the software? Is it automatic? Directly to car? or Dealership only?