Facelift MMI Splash screen not showing

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
It's been a long while since I've been on here as I was getting tired of my old 8P Black Edition, but yesterday I picked up my new Facelift so I'll probably be back on in force now.
My first question is as the title says really.
When we turned the ignition on the first couple of times the MMI popped out of the dash and I saw the start-up screen showing the front of the A3 with it's sparkling headlights. I can't get it to do it again now though.
Am I missing a trick or doing something wrong? All I get is the last screen that it was on. If it was the radio then it goes straight to the station name, or if it was the nav then I get the 'nav initialising' screen while it starts up.

How do I get the start-up or splash screen each time I turn it on?
Sorry, it's probably a dumb question, but I've tried different ways of turning it off, etc. and google doesn't seem to have find anything.

Mine always shows the last screen I was using....which is a good thing otherwise i would need to navigate every time...the 'car' shows within settings and you can navigate around it...and shows in drive select? ...is it possible that the first couple of times you left it on the settings screen the previous time?

..oh and presumably you have posted some pics somewhere!? doesn't exist unless we see it!

I've just trebled your replies

Reactions: pburv
Thanks Moonlight. And thanks for making my thread look popular :tearsofjoy:
I've seen the car symbol on the menu pages, but the one I meant was the head on shot of the the car with the A3 logo and Audi MMI arty bit written to the left of it.
I went out to the car at lunchtime and it worked fine then. God knows why it does it sometimes and not others.

I've only got 2 photo's at the moment, 1 is the one in my avatar, the second is me looking very pleased with myself at the handover last night.
Collect66 Collect66a

ooh and folding mirrors...good colour choice....just popping out now to look at mine again

is it a timing thing?.....my 'splash' screen pops up when it hasn't been used for a while and then straight to the last screen i was using....however the splash screen doesn't show if its only been a few mins as it's still kind of logged on and goes straight to the last screen....

is it a timing thing?.....my 'splash' screen pops up when it hasn't been used for a while and then straight to the last screen i was using....however the splash screen doesn't show if its only been a few mins as it's still kind of logged on and goes straight to the last screen....
The splash screen will only show upon MMI system boot. I cannot remember the exact time but the system stays on for a while even after the car is off / locked.

That could explain it. I suppose it could be linked to the DIS timer that resets the individual journey trip computer.
I'm just going to have to leave it alone for a while. I keep popping out the office to look at things, so I'm probably not letting the poor thing sleep.

Reactions: DJAlix
I don't have a TechPack example to hand but this is an example screen grab of the factory settings for a Standard MMI v1 unit (SDNav):

IMG 4987

Looks like you need to give it at least 15mins in order for the system to "shutdown". TechPack might be set differently but I cannot see it being set to be faster.

Where would you access those settings above?
I've got a current, genuine VCDS cable, but a lot of the controllers have no labels on my new FL A3. I tried to activate the visual parking, but the box I needed to change (byte2 bit0 I think) didn't do anything and had no label.

Where would you access those settings above?
I've got a current, genuine VCDS cable, but a lot of the controllers have no labels on my new FL A3. I tried to activate the visual parking, but the box I needed to change (byte2 bit0 I think) didn't do anything and had no label.
You will need to wait on Ross-Tech to create / update their labels files. Not being able to code VPS "blind" could mean the following:
  • The coding in question is incorrect for the car
  • Coding in question is not supported by the control module
  • Needed coding "conditions" were not met / correct
If you are a registered VCDS user you can help speed up the labelling process by submitting an Autoscan and Adaptation Maps to Ross-Tech for them to reverse engineer.

The screenshot above is of the "green" engineering menu. To access this you need to activate Developer Mode within the Adaptations of 5F:
  • VCP = 5F > Session Type = Engineering > Security Access = 20103 > Adaptations > Developer Mode = Active.
  • VCDS = 5F > Security Access = S12345 > Adaptations > Developer Mode = Active.
  • Green Menu PFL Access = Press and Hold both the Back Button and Top Left MMI Selection Button
  • Green Menu FL Access = Untested

Thanks for the info. I've sent a copy of the autoscan across to Ross-Tech now, so hopefully they can figure out what's what.

Reactions: MotorOla and DJAlix
Thanks for the info. I've sent a copy of the autoscan across to Ross-Tech now, so hopefully they can figure out what's what.
I need some help too with coding the visual parking on my FL A3. The new 5QA ECU is not behaiving like the 5Q0.

I need some help too with coding the visual parking on my FL A3. The new 5QA ECU is not behaiving like the 5Q0.
This controller should be figured out by now. Come on you guys!

Hi all! I too have the A3 FL 2017 and I can not encode the display of the parking sensors.
My longcode module is 0600040001 which has become with my change 0600050001 (changing to 0 byte 2) but does not work.