MMI tech pack sound loss

Sug

Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with loss of sound on the MMI+ ? I have the tech pack with standard speakers and have lost all sound. Unit itself works fine on all modes but there is no sound. Went off a few days ago and then came back on a few times when starting ignition but now it seems to not want to know. Tried the reset but still no sound. Has anyone had the same issue? I'm thinking it must be a loose connection somewhere is there anyway I can check connections from unit???

Thanks in advance Chris

Had a customer with a very similar issue, he ended up needing to have the main board of the MMI unit replaced.

If you want to check any connections, you can remove the MMI unit in the glove compartment buy inserting x2 Audi Radio removal keys and pulling the unit towards you. As you have the standard sound system all connections are on the rear of the unit as there is no external amp in use.

Thanks for the reply, checked all connection and all seems ok. Maybe a software update might help. I take it the main board will be inside the unit I have just pulled out? There are second hand MMI units available on eBay will that be a cheaper option if the main board has gone?

I know this sound obvious but hey i'm going to ask anyway lol

You haven't put the sound in mute by mistake ?. I think there is a button on the steering wheel for doing that

Just eliminating the obvious before you rip out stuff!

Thanks for the reply, checked all connection and all seems ok. Maybe a software update might help. I take it the main board will be inside the unit I have just pulled out? There are second hand MMI units available on eBay will that be a cheaper option if the main board has gone?
It might be a software issue which an update would resolve, but to be honest doubt it to be honest. Software / Firmware update would need to be via Audi.

The mainboard or motherboard (the MMI unit is basically a nVidia PC) is inside the unit, mounted at the bottom. You could go for a used / secondhand unit but thinking about it you would need to have component protection removing once its installed in your car.

If I remember correctly my customer paid approx £250 for his board to be replaced etc. Last time I checked on eBay used units were starting at around £400'ish. Component protection removal would be approx £65 in addition.

Yes I did check the mute as daft as it sound sure people have made that mistake but that's not it. The strange thing is the sound normally comes on with the first turn of the key on a morning but any other removal of key and re-start there's no joy. Looks like a trip to Audi. Cheers

Do you think removal of the MMI fuse or battery disconnect will make a difference??

Let me know if Audi have an update for you. I've been trying to get one but they told me there aren't any updates available.

£120 just to have look at it ☹️

Oh that makes sense then. I got no suggestions I'm afraid unless some independent garages know about it.

Well had it to Audi today and there saying a bit of solder has come loose in unit which has caused it to loose sound. I have read this problem on other forums regarding MMI so I'm hoping a friend can open the unit up and figure out the issue. Audi quoted £1293 to fix so if my mate can't solve the issue is there any aftermarket units available??

I had this issue a few months back. The sound would be off for 95% of journeys (no sat nav spoken instructions, calls either) and randomly worked at others. Luckily it's under warranty and after 2 visits to Manchester Audi they sourced the part from German & replaced the unit (think it was called F5?) according to Audi it was around 3k all in! It now works a great. Also I don't believe there to be a software upgrade as it's the same version as I had previously. If it's only a few months out can you not plead with them to fix this known fault? My fault had been happening for a couple of months before I took it to Audi as started so intermittently I didn't think much of it. Even bought a Bluetooth speaker as the journeys were even more quiet with the acoustic windscreen!

Hi. I know this thread is a few years out of date, but did anyone have any luck with any of the suggestions made or if there is a newer thread relating to this you could tag me in or put the link here? Thanks.
I've had a quite of £700. for a new unit.

I see this a lot, 3 to 4 a week, and suggest that people source a used unit from eBay and then visit me, or someone like me, to code it in to the vehicle. Repairs seem to be located in Eastern Europe and by the time you have sent your unit off and got it back it would work out more than being a replacement on average.