MMI text message read out

zooankski

Reaction score
Hi all

My friends 2014 A3 has the tech pack fitted which i assume gives him the feature of text message read out?
If he is stationary then the car will read the entire message although if in motion then it is limited to the first page.
Apparently a safety feature???
Is there any way of removing this apparent protection using VCDS?

Unlocking Video in Motion will also unlock this - VCDS will not do this you need Vag Can Pro or ODB11.

Reactions: Uncle Slaphead and T-800
I'm amazed that this feature exists or is used at all. Surely a gross safety hazard. Would think that the police would regard it as using a phone whilst driving - what's the difference?

I'm amazed that this feature exists or is used at all. Surely a gross safety hazard. Would think that the police would regard it as using a phone whilst driving - what's the difference?

Playing devils advocate it's safer than messing with your phone surely ? In terms of button presses and being a distraction it's no worse than changing source to radio and changing radio station.

Think the OPs point is that why bother reading just the first page when moving - reading/displaying nothing would make more sense ?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Daveotto
How do you know if you have this?

From memory if you receive a txt message whilst driving and connected to your phone via Bluetooth a small envelope icon appears in the MMI lower border then flicking to TEL using the button to the left of the MMI dial and pressing it to open the message I think the top right soft key gives you the option to read the message to you.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and T-800
I had SMS read out in my 8P Black Edition Sportback. A woman's voice said I'd received a text message, then asked if I wanted her to read it or ignore.
Would like this feature in my 8V if possible, so I am also interested to know if it can be retrofitted.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have iPhone and it works but only reads messages received during that single journey.

Android phones will display the complete txt message history in the phone. Something to do with different Bluetooth protocols I believe.

Don't think this will be an easy retrofit it sounds like it could be part of the tech pack high ?

Reactions: T-800
You need to make sure "show Notifications" is enabled in Bluetooth settings if your using iPhone.

As above it'll beep on receiving a text.

You can then select telephone then scroll across to message and then it'll display it and give you the 'Read' option too.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jay.Ing
Dont forget that people with "hey Siri" can just ask Siri to read out messages. This Audi feature is redundant if you have an iphone 6s or above.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and T-800
Also redundant if you have a Facelift and are using CarPlay as the car alerts you to incoming messages, will read them back to you and also allow you to dictate a reply.

Literally one of the best features of CarPlay I think.

That and the fact the sound quality through my B&O is a lot better is why I connect my phone to the Lightning USB cable under the arm rest each time. You know you've got decent sound reproduction if you can tell the difference between Bluetooth and direct plug in.

Reactions: Rob2k68, DorsetGuy and Ormesome