MMI Text Messages & Picture Locations

garethpauljones

Reaction score
Hi - has anybody got the "messages" feature in the MMI working? I think this allows text messages to be read out when they arrive on your paired phone - at the moment this option is greyed out for me (iPhone 5).

Also, has anyone used Picture Locations? I think this allows you to upload photos to the MMI and then the navigation system uses the geotags to navigate there. It sounds a bit gimmicky to me but would be interested to hear if people use it.

Never heard of either of these features to be honest!

With my Blackberry Curve 9360 connected via Bluetooth I can view the title of e-mails and text messages but i cannot read the content. A feature in the menu allows the car to read your e-mails and text messages through the speakers. Text messages are read in full but e-mails are only sometimes read out, I assume the e-mails need to be plain text, HTML are probably too complex for the MMI to read. I have the SB with technology pack and audi phone box.

I thought they were part of Audi Connect too, and you need to register online to activate some services.

I have the Tech Pack but not the phone box so perhaps that is needed to unlock full compatibility. It also says in the manual that your mobile phone needs to have a "SIM access profile" in order for the car to be able to access messages. Apple website says the iPhone 5 has this - I'll continue to investigate. Thanks for the responses.

It's nothing to do with the phone box - it'll be the connect pack.

As far as I know, no iPhone has the remote sim access profile, but you can also put a separate SIM into the glove box with connect.

All Iphones have no SIM access profile, so not compatible with Audi Connect Services. Samsung Galaxy S range 1-4 have rSAP or SIM access profile.

Reactions: NHN
Message access is generally not through RSAP though, but MAP (Message Access Protocol) which the later iPhones do have.

RSAP is not required for Connect now anyway, you can use a separate SIM card in the glovebox on a data-only contract for example.

One question I had was whether the Connect is 4G/LTE compatible - does anyone know this?

One question I had was whether the Connect is 4G/LTE compatible - does anyone know this?

The brochure says it's 3G, and I'm assuming if it had 4G too, they'd have made a big thing of it. Saying that, I do remember reading a press release from Audi and, I think, Qualcomm, saying they were bringing 4G to cars. I'm guessing it's on it's way at some point, just not quite yet. As long as it will do HSDPA I'm happy, as that should provide enough speed. No idea how we find out if it does though? My only concern is as more and more phones start using more data, will the 3G frequencies become overloaded and slow to a crawl? I guess time will tell!!

Yep, though I think I read ages ago that the unit in the glove box is the main computer and can be upgraded at a later date if required, so it could be that you could add this functionality later on.

Yep, though I think I read ages ago that the unit in the glove box is the main computer and can be upgraded at a later date if required, so it could be that you could add this functionality later on.

Possibly, although I believe you'd also need to change the antenna as it'll be 'tuned' to certain frequencies. I could be wrong though - maybe somebody who understands that kind of thing would be able to confirm?