Mmi Update

N17ELE

Reaction score
Hi
New to forum, expect this has been covered but I can not find it .
I own an A6 (2005). I want to update the maps on the system, but have read that the system can be updated ?
I have looked at whats in place and it is
SW:C6-HU 6350 12.0.0 0513
What do I need to do to get system up to latest info, I can see map updates but not sure what to look for.
Thanks

You are on a very old firmware version 12.0.0 The final MMI 2G version is 55.7.0. Get the latest firmware discs from your Audi dealer go to the parts department and order part number "4L0 998 961" (cost is about £5) don't ask any questions about the disc and what ever you do don't ask the service department they will just want to perform the update at a 3 figure price.

You will get 3 disc and you will need to run every disc with that age of firmware. If you have a BT module the update could take a few hours, so I would use a battery charger while running the updates. You don't need the engine running. Three are plenty of 2014 MMI 2G navigation discs on ebay, or if you IT savvy then download the iso's from GPS underground! (I'm not posting links as they will just be deleted.)

Remember this is a firmware update of every MMI module in your car and updates can fail, sometime they can be retried and it will work other times updates will fail and you will end up with a dead module that will need to be replaced.

Reactions: Gaz170
Connect battery charger to the slave points under the bonnet and not directly to battery. If you have no telephone/bluetooth then IIRC only discs 1 & 3 need to be run otherwise as directed you run all 3 discs but disc 2 must be run twice.

Thanks, I don't have Bluetooth so only discs 1 and 3.
Worried about comment ''Remember this is a firmware update of every MMI module in your car and updates can fail, sometime they can be retried and it will work other times updates will fail and you will end up with a dead module that will need to be replaced.''
What is chance of this happening and is the update worth the risk ? what will the updates do that system can't do now ?

Reactions: alex13p
Just called Audi Leicester and was told they can not sell it to me since it is a work shop only tool . Originally told it was £6-99, but then they changed their mind.
Do you know any dealer that does sell them ?

with a failed update could you not do a reset to factory standard rather than have to replace a module?

No. If the firmware update fails then there is no firmware left on the module to complete a reset. Also the MMI reset only resets the user changeable values, it does not restore the firmware to a factory default state. If the firmware fails on the MMI control head it should go into a boot load mode and then restore the firmware from the CD if placed into slot one on the CD-Chager, however that is the only module on the MOST bus that has a boot loader failure mode.

Reactions: gupsterg
I know what your saying, but I try if possible to avoid downloading firmware updates from the internet, seen a few bad files that turn units into paper weights. If you can buy the genuine disc from Audi for just a few quid then it's worth it.

Reactions: gupsterg
Just called Audi Leicester and was told they can not sell it to me since it is a work shop only tool . Originally told it was £6-99, but then they changed their mind.
Do you know any dealer that does sell them ?

Just bought mine from Audi Bexley today, just give them BS if they start asking questions. BS baffles brains ;)

Hi
I have managed to get the discs for £6-95 from a main dealer, best to just give the part number. If you ask questions they will not sell.
The dealer I spoke to has said he would not recommend updating since they have had a lot of issues doing it. If they did the upgrade it was £119 +vat per hour and I would have to sign a disclaimer !
I have been told if I put newer sat nav discs they include updates for the system. Everything is working at the moment and it worries me about software failing

Just got an A6 and the disks but what are the benefits of upgrading the firmware?

Depends on what version of firmware you are running and what MMI modules are fitted to your car.

Em it has, Bluetooth, sat nav and ami looking for someone to retrofit DAB think the sw is c6-hu 51.4.0 0731 ? Any good?

You won't see many benefits as you are almost at the final version 55.7.0.

Reactions: adcooper
Oh ok cheers for the info better than updating and one failing

Hi
I still don't know weather to update, my system is old at 12.0.0 but I only have sat nav and cd player, no blue tooth.
What difference would it make to my system and is it worth the risk ( less extras so less risk of anything going wrong ??)

Your not going to see any real improvement if that is all you have, and it's not going to give you any extra features.

Thanks for that, if that's that the case its best left alone :)
I assume that I can put a 2013 nav disc in and the nav system will update from that ( currently 2005)

That will work fine, one thing I did forget about was you do get TMC and 3D view in navigation when you update to the later firmware

Hi
I am a bit thick :) What is TMC ?
I understand there are a few things I lose like battery meter and air con control from the mmi ?
In your opinion m I better upgrading or not ?
Thanks

It's up to yourself but I'm sure the aircon should already be working, and the battery meter (which is not that good) may just need enabling. TMC is for traffic messaging to show up accidents & road works etc and the navigation should guide you around.

Hi
Updated the MMI, My TMC has a line through it . Do I need to turn it on ??
Thanks

Nigel, how did the update process go? Any problems? and what version are you on now?

I'm on C6-HU 34.5.0 0632 at the moment.