Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface

crypric23

Never satisfied
Reaction score
Does the above title mean there is no shark fin on the roof ? If so will that effect adding Rns-e , aftermarket ?

"Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface. Provides handsfree connection via Bluetooth using mobile phone aerial. Please contact your Audi Centre for phone compatibility
Only in combination with Driver's Information System and multi-function steering wheel "

Does the above title mean there is no shark fin on the roof ? If so will that effect adding Rns-e , aftermarket ?

"Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface. Provides handsfree connection via Bluetooth using mobile phone aerial. Please contact your Audi Centre for phone compatibility
Only in combination with Driver's Information System and multi-function steering wheel "

I've specced this and looked into for just the same question. All cars i've seen and dealer confirmed that bluetooth adds the sharkfin.

Even if it didn't, it does not effect retro fitting of Rns-e as you run a seperate receiver for that anyway.

It does look better having the sharkfin with Rns-e though..........looks fully OEM.

Factory phone prep will include the sharkfin for the cradle use but isnt for BT, retro 99.99% time doesnt include sharkfin, as no need, given people just want BT functionality.

RNS fitment aftermarket wise, wont be affected because 99.999% time everyone uses the magnetic square antenna stuck under the dash which is perfectly fine to get the sat signals, factory fitted rns will have sharkfin.

I retro fitted my sharkfin because, as stupid as it sounds, it did make the car look better, drill hole in roof, paint with rust protection, sealant inside & out then bolt to the roof paying close attention to the gap needed for the boot to open with spoiler so doesnt catch, looks well.

So am i right in thinking that you only get the sharkfin , if you have factory fitted , phone cradle etc ?

With out this option the car will not have sharkfin , or is it there but just as a radio ariel ?

I agree Nigel it looks nice and would miss it.

The sharkfin is fitted because there will be a cadle fitted shomwhere in the car and the fin connects directly to the cradle, or your car has been fitted with a BT unit that has rSAP built-in (remote Sim Access Profile)

If you decided to fit an OEM BT unit, you will not need to fit the sharkfin, as the phone will still use its own internal antenna.

Your radio antenna's will be int he rear screens.

So am i right in thinking that you only get the sharkfin , if you have factory fitted , phone cradle etc ?

With out this option the car will not have sharkfin , or is it there but just as a radio ariel ?

I agree Nigel it looks nice and would miss it.

Ah , ok thats rubbish then !

The car i am getting will only have bluetooth , will it still show the contacts on the rns-e ? and in the dis ?

I've got the new 'bluetooth only' option fitted to my Sportback - can't confirm the RNS-E details - but there's no reason why it wouldn't show everything as expected - do know that address book shows up in the DIS, get the satisfying bluetooth 'bong' when connected and voice activation so that you can chat with a nice Audi lady when bored...

The sharkfin is fitted because there will be a cadle fitted shomwhere in the car and the fin connects directly to the cradle, or your car has been fitted with a BT unit that has rSAP built-in (remote Sim Access Profile)

If you decided to fit an OEM BT unit, you will not need to fit the sharkfin, as the phone will still use its own internal antenna.

Your radio antenna's will be int he rear screens.

As he said.

Enquired about this recently and dealer indicates bluetooth prep only is no cradle or roof aerial.

Yeap spot on, BT has no need for external antenna as it is purely only for internal use in car between phone & car, still uses handset for all signal related things.

The car i am getting will only have bluetooth , will it still show the contacts on the rns-e ? and in the dis ?

Yes should do no problem, of course some handsets have few issues but majority work no problem, Nokias have been a pita.

I've got the new 'bluetooth only' option fitted to my Sportback - can't confirm the RNS-E details - but there's no reason why it wouldn't show everything as expected - do know that address book shows up in the DIS, get the satisfying bluetooth 'bong' when connected and voice activation so that you can chat with a nice Audi lady when bored...

You'd only get the voice activation with MFSW of course, unless you use your handset voice dial options if available.

Your RNS-E will have the ability to dial, receive and make calls. Depending on your handset it will dictate what other functionality will work, such as Missed, dialled etc. Nokia's seem to work the best with Audi's, but there is a list of what is supported ont eh Audiforum.us site

rnse_dial.jpg

rnse_phonebook2.jpg

The MFSW can be used to support SDS (Speech Dialogue System) if SDS is supported in your car. And yes you will get tele info on your DIS

Possibly incorrect there me old china, Nokias have been well known to have issues with the BT/RNS setup, they're known to not display the call lists that well & you actually have to clear your call lists sometimes to get that functionality to work, also downloading the phonebook from some nokias has been an issue which required the use of an app contact manager, cant recall to mind right this minute the process or app, but its been discussed on here numerous times, believe its the N series thats caused many problems

I've personally used the Samsung Tocco with numerous firmwares & has been great along with number of Sonyericssons & its also been great, but I've always heard of N series causing problems.

Those issues have apparently been addressed in later BT units "Q" and above. But yes there have been problems, but it looks like that Nokia and Audi have been working together to create better Bluetooth stacks in their handsets.

Its the iPhone thats has the most issues, as Apple dont tend to release updates that often.

My iphone works flawlessly in my A3 rns-e, also did in my TT with rns-e.

Possibly incorrect there me old china, Nokias have been well known to have issues with the BT/RNS setup, they're known to not display the call lists that well & you actually have to clear your call lists sometimes to get that functionality to work, also downloading the phonebook from some nokias has been an issue which required the use of an app contact manager, cant recall to mind right this minute the process or app, but its been discussed on here numerous times, believe its the N series thats caused many problems

I've personally used the Samsung Tocco with numerous firmwares & has been great along with number of Sonyericssons & its also been great, but I've always heard of N series causing problems.

N-Series are definately troublesome. My N95 does not display the phone book, memory (last dialled etc..). It is not only a problem in my S3 but also has the same problem in the missus Peugeot. Can't remember but I think I managed to dial a number with SDS with my N95 connected via BT.

Sony's are not a problem and my blackberry also works well.

KKP

N-Series are definately troublesome. My N95 does not display the phone book, memory (last dialled etc..).

My 5800 wouldn't show the contacts in the DIS (I haven't got RNS). However, I downloaded an app from the Nokia site (616 or 810 contacts downloader), deleted the pairing, re-paired.... et voila - contacts in the DIS.

The only issue I've had since is the phonebook appears in the DIS as last name, first name order rather than first name, last name as on the phone. No a biggie though.

HTH.

I'd like someone to test a newer module with an N series to see if its corrected these issues, also we have to take into consideration if they've also updated the BT version to a newer say 2.1 which would be more reliable & interact with other hardware better, the stack would have added more hardware id's to work with better which maybe whats corrected it, has anyone on audiforum.us tested, have to go look.

I actually updated my module to a newer one recently, to try & resolve an annoying call connect loud noise (no not the BT bong) but it didnt go away, think its network & cell station related, but havnt got N series to test it now.

But Pat all these things for BT/RNS/Sharkfin can be modded onto car cause I've done a SB already for someone, that included the whole lot & more, BT, SDS, MFSW, RNS, Sharkfin, AUX Jack etc etc

Well thats a shark fin booking please Nigel , new S3 sportback on Saturday !

Best to do everything at once tbh mate, so if you're planning to retrofit others then can do at same time.

Got a 6300 and a "K" Bluetooth module (the ones that had some firmware issues, thank god not for me ... yet) and everything works just fine.

I get the Phonebook almost immediately and Recieved/Missed/etc calls show up later on!

A lot of misinterpretation in this thread about phones, firmwares and BT module revsions etc.

Apple release firmware regularly and sometimes they get it wrong, but 99% of the time the Iphones work perfectly well with nearly all of the Audi BT preps.

Nokia N & E series are problematic, but the problem is two sided, modules for A3/TT/R8 have to be K revision or newer and also most N & E phones will need the COntacts download manager installed to get the contacts only down to the car. Newer N & E series such as the N96/7 work fine with the latest modules N/S/AA and don't need the manager. The exception being the MMI BT HFP & rSAP modules which still do require the contacts managers for some reason.

Normal non Symbian Nokias such as 6300 etc seem to fine with most of the BT preps that Audi produce.

SE phones seem to work fine with most revisions of phone prep for contacts/dialled/missed etc. As do most of the later Samsungs.

Blackberry seem to have issues when connected for some months, regularly clearing the phone logs from the phone seems to fix the issues of missing contacts/dialled/missed etc.

Has anybody managed to resolve the last name firstname vs first name last name for phonebook synchs? My Outlook and Blackberry all show first name last name, but when I hook up to the car, it reverses. I'm old and confused......:wacko:

Last edited: