Monkey Coffee/Toast/Watches/Sony/Tabasco/Trainers/Merge/Multi-tool/The List/Confusion

Ive had the chance to own an S5 with an adjustment increase of my monthly payment, it was a fully loaded white one with about 7k km on it belonging to the son of the car dealer that puts about 10k max on vehicles and sells em'. But being quite happy with my car which was bought from new and in the colour of my choice having beaten an S5 on pace coincidentally a few days prior to the appointment anyhow made me wonder why I would pay a little more every month and lose about 10k euro from my initial price for something used at the end of the day which is a tad slower and then more expensive again to modify my instinct said I don't feel safe working harder to pay something off that isn't 100 percent to my liking. The feeling of a new car is something else and I wouldn't like to buy used again, I'll save up money and enjoy my ride. When the time comes I'm going new once again. Living in Greece with alot of twisties steep climbs the s3 at stage 2 is supremely practical and faster than an s5(standard) and the cayman.... now the boxster forget about it. I've Also easily beaten 911 4s' regularly, was pretty damn even with a cayman S turbo'd(beat that beast on the way to a club, blue flame was popping out on the gearchange, in gear with my sprintbooster and in the right torque curve with stage 2 you can surprise alot of dudes) porsche owners have converted in my car and my buddy(former 911 drop top owner) bought a TTs, got him a forge diverter valve today actually along with my order of goodies.... In a fixed up s3 you can feel the torque big time and I couldve bought a more expensive car yet the value for money, finesse, quality are tremendous, try doing 200km in a cayman...it sounds like its going to fall apart, I've driven my neighbors, I had to say sorry afterwards for straining the car, she said oh no thats how it sounds, point made.... in the audi s3 which is the car we are talking about here 200km is conversation speed... nuff said.... boxsters are for chicks, its a chick car and if you see one watch out because they might be checking their nails..... like a stripper chick by the name of Nikita I once new.... She got into the audi and said why you choose orange car? are you crazy? there you have it russian stripper chicks have boxsters businessmen have 996's, cayman's are in puberty, not fully balanced for their prestige or their performance status if a car is wedge shaped cantakerously noisy and that expensive it has to be under 4.5 0-60 to be respectable... The s5 is all business, fast and well rounded its an Audi bussinessman's car... Now the s3 is an all around vehicle, you can't compare it with anything as far as cost/value is concerned, it says youre to the point and probably under 40, and point to point is what its all about, faster than all that other aforementioned stuff.... did 282km/h with luggage and 3 people on the way to Thessaloniki in it.... and on the way back 4 people with luggage fully loaded doing 250(150 mph) on a notorious highway dip, bottomed out first caught 2 feet of air then landed just slightly tilted(Left to right) and adjusted to a smooth landing like a waterbed..... the car is an airplane.... everybody had a fit afterwards giggling and two people in the back werent wearing seat belts hit their heads on the roof... can't top that experience... its not a money thing.... its a choice thing, spend your money wisely... Made the right choice Ive got 88500 km on it bought it brand new from the showroom it was the centerpiece of the dealership bright as day on a cloudy day Feb 2nd 2007 walked up to the guy at the office and said I want that car he said would you like me to wrap it for ya? Wrap it up for me I said and ordered stage 1 from the get go and went to stage 2 at 7000 km's once Milltek came out with the exhaust kit and its faster than ever.... everything is still like new with the exception of some road chips and scuffed buckets on my side from jeans.... If you're gonna change from an s3 better make sure you know what your getting.... lemme put it this way .... don't go cayman you'll be disappointed sounds and feels fragile as hell.... concentrate on making more money to get any upscale car but an s3 you will always need.

porsche owners have converted in my car

Not sure what that means, but it sounds disgusting :puke: :laugh:

it has to be under 4.5 0-60 to be respectable

Please, not this old chestnut again :lazy:

There you go Warren, don't bother getting a Porsche/Lambo/fighter jet, S3 beats everything, and yours is modified, so if you choose, you can go back in time like Superman did in Superman 2 (or was it Superman 3?)

:hi:

...don't bother getting a Porsche/Lambo/fighter jet

I think I have found the answer...

464c8a10.jpg

2a0a8431.jpg

bc5ddaf8.jpg

Mean hey? :eyebrows:
:wtf:

Well after reading all this I guess I'd better stick with the S3, fastest car in the land ;-)

there you have it russian stripper chicks have boxsters businessmen have 996's, cayman's are in puberty, not fully balanced for their prestige or their performance status if a car is wedge shaped cantakerously noisy and that expensive it has to be under 4.5 0-60 to be respectable... The s5 is all business, fast and well rounded its an Audi bussinessman's car... Now the s3 is an all around vehicle, you can't compare it with anything as far as cost/value is concerned

Its people coming out with comments like this that make me shy away from car owner forums.

I have never read such rubbish, you clearly haven't driven Porsches, because your view of them seems to be against every other reviewer, owner and magazine test going.

The S3 is a great car, but come on lets get things in perspective, better than a Carrera 4S, dont be silly, in fact it's not better than any Porsche of the same age.

Its people coming out with comments like this that make me shy away from car owner forums.

I have never read such rubbish, you clearly haven't driven Porsches, because your view of them seems to be against every other reviewer, owner and magazine test going.

The S3 is a great car, but come on lets get things in perspective, better than a Carrera 4S, dont be silly, in fact it's not better than any Porsche of the same age.

Thanks dude, that's pretty much what I wanted to say but couldn't...I'd have worn out my swearing key (*)

Even though they're not really my cup of Tetleys, Audis are very good I admit. Better than Porsches at the sporty stuff though? Puh-f*****g-leeeease :gaehn:

Im glad to see that my paragraph got some of you going... like the airplane there...

I am passionate about my vehicles, and yes my paragraph is my opinion by all means. But lets not twist what I have written...

Never said the S3's better than the 4S and so on... Never said anything is better than another its all about ownership experience... Its a car for older people and 2.5 times the price of an S3.... And there is no fiction in my paragraph... If there is something someone cannot beleive in what I said it is their choice.... I did not like the engine of the cayman period...

Magazines and reality are a different things... Don't judge a book by its cover and dont judge a car before you drive it, Period. I drove it, didn't like it... People that haven't driven a Porsche or a Ferrari think that when they do its going to be like some halo beaming down on the dash and everything is magical.... Some models are not their moneys worth that simple they are riding the wake of the other automotive industry staples such as the 911 which is priced real close, so if youre going to plonk it down for a Porsche go for the real thing I say. Between Cayman and S5....... S5.

Yes it is true that a friend of mine was in the market for a vehicle and was well impressed with the 2.0 Tfsi engine... smooth and all... and coming from a Porsche 911 cabrio owner that was a compliment.... He went on to buy a TTs and I ordered 2 forge dv(one's for me) valves the other day cause he's fixing it up... I have no qualms about other brands...

It just so happens that I'm well satisfied with what I've got... And the forum is a useful place to locate and cross-reference things.

The nature of this thread is of an ambiguous nature and I am not ambiguous, thereby hopefully helping out someone make a decision.

Bottom line summary, get your money's worth, don't beleive the hype from the mags, drive it before you own it, try renting one of whatever you think of buying, someone might like a Cayman, I didn't. And the reasons are: Priced very close to 911 so I'd try to get a piece of automotive history(911) and safeguard my investment. At a quick glance in traffic it looks like a boxster and thats ok for some but not for me....

This is my opinion, the boxster is Porsche's ladies car my opinion steer clear of anything with that look. This is not kiddy territory its alot of money.

I've driven it and it felt fragile... that simple... no low end... and felt lean(mixture wise) on the high end...Choppy idle and choppy in comparison to the Audi engine.. The interior wasn't that great I like more for my money... Its an almost there car... Porsche purposely detuned it not to overshadow the status of the 911. Chassis wise the Cayman is all there and some but If you go for that territory you want everything engine and all.... A fully loaded Cayman S in Greece went for about 110k euros with 15k more you could get a 911.... So if you want to 'move on' make sure you feel like it when you are actually driving it( both durability and performance), enjoy the status when you park it...

I have shared my experiences and opinions by all means share some of yours. Don't be shy now....

Ha ha had to take typing in High School it was obligatory, got me through college , most useful class ever... who woulda known?

Im glad to see that my paragraph got some of you going... like the airplane there...

I am passionate about my vehicles, and yes my paragraph is my opinion by all means. But lets not twist what I have written...

Never said the S3's better than the 4S and so on... Never said anything is better than another its all about ownership experience... Its a car for older people and 2.5 times the price of an S3.... And there is no fiction in my paragraph... If there is something someone cannot beleive in what I said it is their choice.... I did not like the engine of the cayman period...

Magazines and reality are a different things... Don't judge a book by its cover and dont judge a car before you drive it, Period. I drove it, didn't like it... People that haven't driven a Porsche or a Ferrari think that when they do its going to be like some halo beaming down on the dash and everything is magical.... Some models are not their moneys worth that simple they are riding the wake of the other automotive industry staples such as the 911 which is priced real close, so if youre going to plonk it down for a Porsche go for the real thing I say. Between Cayman and S5....... S5.

Yes it is true that a friend of mine was in the market for a vehicle and was well impressed with the 2.0 Tfsi engine... smooth and all... and coming from a Porsche 911 cabrio owner that was a compliment.... He went on to buy a TTs and I ordered 2 forge dv(one's for me) valves the other day cause he's fixing it up... I have no qualms about other brands...

It just so happens that I'm well satisfied with what I've got... And the forum is a useful place to locate and cross-reference things.

The nature of this thread is of an ambiguous nature and I am not ambiguous, thereby hopefully helping out someone make a decision.

Bottom line summary, get your money's worth, don't beleive the hype from the mags, drive it before you own it, try renting one of whatever you think of buying, someone might like a Cayman, I didn't. And the reasons are: Priced very close to 911 so I'd try to get a piece of automotive history(911) and safeguard my investment. At a quick glance in traffic it looks like a boxster and thats ok for some but not for me....

This is my opinion, the boxster is Porsche's ladies car my opinion steer clear of anything with that look. This is not kiddy territory its alot of money.

I've driven it and it felt fragile... that simple... no low end... and felt lean(mixture wise) on the high end...Choppy idle and choppy in comparison to the Audi engine.. The interior wasn't that great I like more for my money... Its an almost there car... Porsche purposely detuned it not to overshadow the status of the 911. Chassis wise the Cayman is all there and some but If you go for that territory you want everything engine and all.... A fully loaded Cayman S in Greece went for about 110k euros with 15k more you could get a 911.... So if you want to 'move on' make sure you feel like it when you are actually driving it( both durability and performance), enjoy the status when you park it...

I have shared my experiences and opinions by all means share some of yours. Don't be shy now....

Brilliant, thanks, but for those of us that have owned one or two Porsches in our time (and i'm certainly not old by the way, sub-30), and there are a few on this forum that have or still do, your essay above tells us that you really haven't got the faintest clue what you're talking about.

Your opinion is noted.
:end_of_discction:

Last edited:
Porsche aren't part of the VAG Group...they pretty much own it, or at least have the controlling share of just over 50%

I didn't think I was too far off with what I'd said....Porsche basically bit off more than they could chew with VAG and ended up on the receiving end of their own plan to a large extent.

Just completely off the mark here, and for the sake of poor Warren who's thread has (and I take most of the blame here) gone a bit off topic....what do people reckon to the new Z4? I quite like the look of the long bonnet, but not driven one yet.

I really like the look of it - it's probably the best thing they've done recently (not saying much I know)

It's aggressive and beautifully proportioned...but I'm not drawn to it at all. I suffer the typical blokey embarrassment about little open 2-seaters.

If only they could make their normal saloons and hatches look as nice as the new Z4 :notme:

Living in Greece with alot of twisties steep climbs the s3 at stage 2 is supremely practical and faster than an s5(standard) and the cayman.... now the boxster forget about it. I've Also easily beaten 911 4s' regularly, was pretty damn even with a cayman S turbo'd(beat that beast on the way to a club, blue flame was popping out on the gearchange, in gear with my sprintbooster and in the right torque curve with stage 2 you can surprise alot of dudes) porsche owners have converted in my car and my buddy(former 911 drop top owner) bought a TTs

I out ran a Ferrari F430 last week in my 997, Ferrari ran out of steam at around 250mph ........ couldn't believe my eyes though when an S3 towing a caravan came past us with an old couple up front! (sorry couldn't resist)

S3 gets a bit of bashing on here at times but for me it's one of the best cars I've owned but keep it real.

Cayman S Turbo ??? Only ones I know of are after market conversions running around 400bhp.

You have owned the chicks car Beanoir I see(Boxster 3.2s Lapis Blue).... Yet I don't doubt what you state....and excuse me but from what you state yourself you don't have an S3 yet...... that's alot of doubting from a non-haver there....

I had a nice metallic Burgundy 944 when I was working in LA about 10 years ago bought it for about 2400$ used had a blast in it driving to Vegas and around Sunset Blvd..... don't be spiteful though your opinion is due noted likewise. Boxsters are for chicks...

And I don't post what I have now or what I have owned... Thats quite bad form in my book but lets say I have a couple more torque factories 4 wheeled and 2 wheeled in my Garage and outside cause they don't all fit.. along with my seagoing vehicle... did I mention I also have a mountain bike... not Porsche its a Diamondback and a Peugeot 12 speed road bike... hmmm what else? S3's and Audi's are the subject here.

The only thing that will put a smile on your face is that Meteor Gray S3 you dont have yet seems like -you don't know what you are talking about -there kiddo....

I have been one of the first to own an S3, driven it around Europe with much faster and expensive company surrounding me through the tunnels of the Riviera... to St. Tropez....

People would stop and stare at the orange rocket(the Gumball people called it so) even in St. Tropez.... With crazy cars around everywhere... Someone came up smiling and said their boss had a helicopter in that color!

An effect that can't be duplicated because time has passed and there are many S3's now

Maybe it bothered you what I said about the boxster well too bad its my opinion and that of many others and many Porsche owners as well hee heee !

I owned a poor man's Porsche once who cares dude that's what they called it, it was a bargain......better than a rusty Buick! Or another chick car the mx-5!

Own before you doubt and take heed Santa Claus does not exist in the form of a brand name...good bargains do!

Being first matters in both business and pleasure... Now back to you... you are not even last yet because you don't have an S3 yet so wait up a little more learn some manners and don't be rude there youngan.. youre moving in the right direction though from estrogen(boxster) to testosterone(s3) to become a proper tramp one day...

Just completely off the mark here, and for the sake of poor Warren who's thread has (and I take most of the blame here) gone a bit off topic....what do people reckon to the new Z4? I quite like the look of the long bonnet, but not driven one yet.

Yep, purely on a looks point of view, Z4 for me over a Cayman also.

whatever that Cayman was probably 400 something.... rear wheel drive say anything....? Im at around 330 bhp my torque is accessible his 400 bhp torque curve is peaky if its out of the boil its out of the boil and its hard to keep it so when there light traffic on and off the gas.... doubting Thomas's Im outta here..... Losers...

Back on topic..

A friend of mine has just bought a 996 Turbo with 8000 genuine* miles on the clock for £35k, it's a brilliant car. He had it re-mapped last week and it's now around 500bhp with 600nm of torque.
The thing just flies, sounds awesome and sticks like ***** to a curtain. I can't wait until 997 Turbos are that price because i'll snap one up!

*Definately genuine, when it was re-mapped we looked at the hours run on the ecu and it was around 500.

...and now you've got a richer man's Golf. Which is absolutely fine, except you seem to think it's the best car on the planet...loser

Loser, its one of the best bargains in recent years it rocks, the loser comment didn't pertain to you but since you insisted it does, I don't like whimpering wish I hads and so on... when you own something you have to drive it like you mean it and you can do pretty well in fast car territory with the S3 if youre committed... driving is another subject altogether.... enjoy your biodiesel whatever you have, can't be bothered......

Wow, how this thread has progressed!!

After driving the Cayman S which was a very good drive (and in my opinion could leave my understeery S3 for dead in the twisty stuff), despite it's slight lack of power it is still quite a car.

The one I drove at 30k miles was tight, and barely felt used at all. The driver controls give you more feedback than you get from the S3 which are generally a tad over servoed and more difficult to read. Yes the S3 is capable, but not quite in the same league handling wise.

This exercise has raised as many questions as it has answered, and I'm almost of the mindset to go into 'save hard' mode between now and March and see if I can get a Porsche 997 Turbo.

I've been to test quite a few cars in the last week or two, and whilst some of them have been very good for the price, I still have an issue.

By the time you've been told by the dealer they'll do you a favour and take your car, then go on to tell you that unfortunately it is not worth what you'd like to think, so you'll need to toss in a fair bit of deposit for their car which is the best in class and therefore OBVIOUSLY worth TOP dollar, and is obviously undiscountable (unlike what you're offering as a part-ex)! At this point I'm generally bored sh1tless by the script, and the inevitability of it all, and sat there looking down the barrel of another car which exceeds what I have in SOME areas, but not all, and yet somehow I seem to have accrued ANOTHER bill of about £25k outstanding finance for someone else's hand me down, and STILL actually not what I'd choose given my price point.

Yes the Porsche is the better car, no dispute there at all. BUT, for the contribution to the pot I'd need to make (plus interest), I am now at the point where I'm sick and tired of hearing the spiel above and will start saving hard for a 997 Turbo (I'm not close at the moment).

I've seen some nice cars in the last 2 weeks, but nothing to blow my socks off for the money. One of my mates is looking to buy my car off me, but has said it will be after Christmas so I'm not sure what I'll be driving in March :tumble:, all I know is that at least with the S3 off my hands I can start saving seriously will put the thick end of £500pcm back in my pocket to contribute to the next car. In the meantime I get to kick about in a fantastic car, even if the dealers only think it's worth a packet of Cheerios!

Looks like you'll all have to put up with me for a bit longer!

Last edited:
Good to hear it Warren!

Like you,I hate going into a dealer and being made to feel I'm doing THEM a favour by parting with my hard-earned cash.

My local Audi dealer has always been excellent in that respect,whereas the local VW dealer has lost out from their appalling attitude....the last time I walked in there it took about 10 minutes for anyone to actually bother asking if they could help.

Then the sales pitch after that finished matters.

Porsche dealers do vary,and I'm sure you'll find a decent one,but a 997 turbo should be fun,and worth saving for.....then you can get on with modifying that :keule:

Balls, i wanted that catch can too. ;) Warren you must have known when you posted a 'vs' thread on ASN that it is only a matter of time before the crayons make an appearance - everytime without fail in fact :yawn: . Anyways, thanks for the honest feed back on your experiences; it is not a direction I see myself taking in the future to be fair as I have an M3 itch to scratch, but still makes for interesting reading.

Yeap, de ja vous, classroom insults as always.

yet somehow I seem to have accrued ANOTHER bill of about £25k outstanding finance for someone else's hand me down!

This says it all for me. The Cayman just isn't worth this in a month of Sundays.

I'd have to agree, why go through all this end up with a huge finance deal to start paying of & not be 100% contented with your end purchase deal, for me the S3 would stay as its basically an allround nice quick car, has some space, fun to drive, useful for those diy store sunday trips, albeit at 150mph but still fun huh, lol

Its quite easy to forget sometimes when comparing cars that the cost actually does play a part in it all, it's one thing if you have the cash in the bank and can afford to buy outright, and a completely different thing if you can't afford the car and need finance to buy it. Puts a whole new angle on the comparison of 2 cars.

I know I support the Porsche camp, but 2 months ago I was having a similar debate like Warren, and for me it was S3 vs. Cayman vs. BMW 135i. I really wanted the Cayman, I loved it, but I chose the S3 and for many more reasons than whether it was the better car or not, I didn't want to finance it, I needed to fit bikes in the boot, and all those reasons, so it came down to the S3 vs. 135, and I guess from there it's obvious.

I bought the S3 because I believed it to be the best all-rounder and thats what I need right now, and i'm really looking forward to getting it!

Just took a chest of draws ( sounds like a posh crate of knickers ) up the tip...cant do that in a Caymen :)