More Spring/Damper Questions!

PAULF

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've just found a cracked rear spring on my wifes' Avant whilst getting the rear bushes done. It is running on the OE Sports setup (1BE code) and I'm looking at replacing (yet more) parts.

I know this type of thread often results in recommendations of 'get 200mm lowered' and such like, but my road kills lowered cars! ( link to pic #12 )

Firstly, I could just buy two rear springs from Audi and be done with it. In which case, what else am I going to need in the way of bolts, rubbers etc i.e.what normally requires replacement when changing springs at the back)?

My preferred option is to change the 1BE setup for something a little higher. As far as I can tell, the sports package is 0.75" (about 20 metricals) lower than standard, and the OE HD 1BB is 20mm higher HD, 1BT is 7mm higher HD or 1BP which is standard height, but HD with limited bump travel.

I think I'm probably best going for the standard 1BA, or 1BT HD as I'd expect to get more aftermarket options. I was looking at kits, but they all seem to be lowered. I could go for a kit if it was lowered up to 20mm from stock (the same as fitted now) if I had to. Bilstein B4 dampers seem to be stock length, but I don't really want to buy springs and dampers separately!
Audi do the BB/BT springs for about £80 each, but the rear dampers were over £200! (BB and BT were the same part number somehow ???) I could try the BT on the shocks I have, but would expect the rod lengths to be wrong....

I'll have a chat with All German, and any other retailers I can find to speak to, but any info here would be helpful.

If I do end up going down the spring/damper route, in addition to the first question, what else would I normally need to change at the front?

Last edited:
Not really a raised car, just a 'not lowered' car - or at least not lowered any more than the 20mm it came of the production line with.

All suspension bushes and arms have been done - with the exception of the subframe and diff mounts.

It's just with finding the cracked spring, I'm trying to find out my options.

You start by looking at 1 spring replacement, but you need to do them in pairs. You then think, hmm, standard springs would give me an extra 20mm ground clearance without too much degradation, so 4 springs, but you need different dampers, so 4 springs and dampers, but which 4 ?? Then what other bits (top mounts, bolts rubbers) are normally ********? You then find you can get up to 20mm above standard and think, hmm that might be useful.

So you then think, hmm, these B10 or B12 type kits look a good idea as they seem much cheaper - but they're lowered, but maybe by 20mm or less from stock, so I'm back where I started!

You get the gist :think:

Yeah. ****** night mare.

I'd personally replaced all top mounts, unless they've been done. You got to take the springs and shocks apart any way, so might as well do them.

Have you looked at the early Allroad suspension?
They was based on the A4 and might fit yours, give you the height and ride comfort you're after.

No, I haven't. To be honest, I'm just a little confused as to what would be the best plan for the car.

My wife does like to give it beans sometimes, so I would like it to be firm, but I'm trying to balance this against where I live!

I think basically I'll go for either stock height, or the sports height, as fitted if I can get a kit. If I can't get a kit, I'll probably just replace the rears with as fitted.

Ho Hum, joys of motoring!

Air ride?
Coil overs but going the reverse of what ever one else does?

I would also look in to the all road kit.
I might be wrong but if not, could be the best of both worlds.

I suspect the 1BB Audi kit is probably derived from the allroad set up.
Air ride might be an option at some point, but as I've just shelled out over 2k :scared2: this month on getting the arms, bushes, tyres and panzer plate between the two cars, I'm not looking for the most expensive option just yet!

(Note how I class the Bilstein kits as not the most expensive option!!)

Ok, I now have almost got answers!

I have ordered a set of 1BT springs, using the PR codes OJJ for the front axle loading, and OYR for the HD rear suspension (even though I have sports fitted - I guess it's the bigger rear ARB)

I'm looking to match them with a set of Bilstein B6s, which I hope the stiffer damper will help offset the higher ride height for handling puposes. The 1BT springs are supposed to be stock height +7mm, with a heavy duty spring. I would expect that I will not get the full 7mm extra, but even stock gives 20mm more than at present, with HD springs holding up a bit better on the dirt track. (I hope!)

If anybody has access to the parts list, can they check for me if there are any other parts I need to change going from 1BE to 1BT? I will get new top mounts, but I'm a little concerned now about spring seats and the rear shock tower!

Last edited:
All done a while back, straight swap. I used Bilstein B6s and BT code springs.

Ground clearance is MUCH better, and the stiffer dampers help the ride a lot when going fast.

Thanks to Aberdeen Audi for helping go through options! I've some pics to go in my other thread when I get the chance!

Hi Paul I am wondering if you still have the part numbers for your coil springs as nobody at Audi will help me and I want to stilled my A4 Quattro without lowering it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Josh

PaulF has been been on for over a year so you many not get a response from him. Audi may not be able to give you the correct part number anymore. When my VIN number goes into etka it no longer identifies the exact parts on my B5 so the only way to identify the exact number would be by the paint code on the spring (if it's not rusted away).

The best option is to get yourself a set of Eibach pro springs they give a nice ride height(equivalent to OEM sports suspension) and also perform very well, they will also be a dam sight cheaper than Audi springs

Check out google images of B5 with the Eibach kit fitted

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to put a hitch on my A4 Quattro to mount my enduro bike for when we travel out of state for adventure rides at non local off-road parts. I want to increase my rear capacity by 500-550 lbs and if it sat up 5mm higher in the rear even better. I have a pickup truck but the long ride would be nice in my quiet smooth 2006 a4

Well your in the wrong section :icon thumright: A 2006 A4 will be a B7, start a new thread in that section and ask the same question. However be it a B5 or B7 I would still go with the Eibach Pro kit. On a B7 Audi will know which springs are fitted to your car but they won't give you the part numbers, as they know you will go somewhere else to buy the parts.