MOT today...

will89

Reaction score
...PASSED! No advisories. Just comments on how clean and tidy it was!

Thought it would have failed on the HID's too. The tester even commented on them and aligned them correctly FOC.

Another £35 spent. Service tomorrow, tax at the end of the month. Oh and just had new discs and pad on the front and new pads on the back. Another expensive month!

Is there any other type of month...?! Lol

Good news on the MoT, especially the HIDs :)

No they are all just as expensive! I was surprised the HID's passed to mot actually. I thought they wouldn't pass them without self levelling suspension and headlight washers (i have neither!). But oh well... he even commented on the LED sidelight bulbs, and said they are much better! He also noticed the tuning box too :icon_thumright:

Good thing about our projector type healights is that they look just like normal headlights with a decent HID bulbs. Any thing over 6k and your asking for trouble.

mine pased the other mth with HIDs asked them if i should take them out they said as long as they both work and do not flicker they will pass it as with the new lights now days they would have to take the lights apart to tell what ones you have and that is not an mot must ;-) and as you say if they are in the right headlight and the beam patern is right not a problem

The mot rules state you can only fail a car on headlamp washers or self leveling devices if there fitted but fail to work. So if there not fitted you can't fail it cos there not there to test. So retro fit HIDS are ok as long as the beam pattern is correct and they show the correct colour of light.

But like has been said the B6 features the projector style headlamps which all OEM Xenons are fitted to.

The mot rules state you can only fail a car on headlamp washers or self leveling devices if there fitted but fail to work. So if there not fitted you can't fail it cos there not there to test.
+1

The online guidelines for MOT testers are freely available to download and very clearly state what Ian has said regarding HIDs and washers/self-levelling.

So if you had been failed on non-working washers or self-levelling then you would have had cast iron grounds to appeal.

wow, i was ust commenting on bulbs on another thred. my old a4 failed the mot cos of the wrong bulbs in it, ok it did have 100w xenons in it, and come to think of it ,they give off a very bright pritty blue-ish light.
but was told it hadnt passed becouse of them. i did just stuff the old ones back in, and got it passed the next day no bother though

hummm ???????? mot's eh,

Mine passed with aftermarket 4300 HID's the wife wants' them out as they are dimmer than normal bulbs she says lol but she does have them pointed to the ground lol

it did have 100w xenons in it
If they're 100W then they're not Xenons (i.e. HID), they're Xenon-look high power halogen bulbs.

Any halogen bulb over 60/55W won't be E-marked (and the packaging will say they're for off-road or rally use only) and hence is an automatic MOT failure (if the tester notices).

With higher power bulbs they can tend to not produce a good pattern and scatter the light. I have Osram night breakers in mine and they make a good pattern for high output bulbs. Not sure how they compare to a 4300k HID kit though.

All the new rules that were supposed to be coming in start of this year for MOT's are still very vague as they are still getting the legislation changed on them to make it possible to fail a car on so anything like this is currently pass and advise.

The guidance on HID or LED headlamps with headlamp washers or self-levelling is totally unambiguous:

MOT Inspection Manual 2012 said:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

So if HID or LED headlamps are fitted, headlamps washers or self-levelling systems must work if they are fitted - but they do NOT need to be fitted.

Well to top it off, i have now had to replace the starter motor. Another £100!

Anyone selling any money trees??

The guidance on HID or LED headlamps with headlamp washers or self-levelling is totally unambiguous:

So if HID or LED headlamps are fitted, headlamps washers or self-levelling systems must work if they are fitted - but they do NOT need to be fitted.

That's correct but I don't think it's currently a fail item even if fitted and currently not working as the new rules haven't gone through yet!

Well to top it off, i have now had to replace the starter motor. Another £100!

Anyone selling any money trees??

I have one but still growing it for my own use! Might sell you a branch if you want?

That's correct but I don't think it's currently a fail item even if fitted and currently not working as the new rules haven't gone through yet!
You sure about that?

According to this VOSA booklet http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT - Issue 51 - Sep 2011.pdf

VOSA said:
There are approximately 45,000 testers currently active in Great Britain, all of whom must be ready on 1 January 2012 to start testing the new items/changes introduced to the MOT test by the Testing Directive.

To help you to get to grips with these changes, the new items will be introduced as advisory defects for the first three months and then as items for failure from April 2012.

So that means that they've been fail items for the last 7 weeks :confused:

You sure about that?

According to this VOSA booklet http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2051%20-%20Sep%202011.pdf

So that means that they've been fail items for the last 7 weeks :confused:

That article is very out of date. I work as a tester at the local VW garage. The new rules are still going through April 2012 was a estimated date but there is legislation to get through which still is being finalised. A notice was issued to all MOT testers end of April saying that new items aren't finalised and for now should be passed and advised as the items aren't set in stone yet as testible items. This covers the new rules over airbags,HID's and many other things too.

That article is very out of date. I work as a tester at the local VW garage. The new rules are still going through April 2012 was a estimated date but there is legislation to get through which still is being finalised. A notice was issued to all MOT testers end of April saying that new items aren't finalised and for now should be passed and advised as the items aren't set in stone yet as testible items. This covers the new rules over airbags,HID's and many other things too.
So it's a typical piece of Government misinformation then :banghead:

Thanks for the correction.

It's ok it's very confusing times at the minute for MOT's. If you go to the VOSA website you can view the MOT manual online for free but some of the items listed as fails aren't currently on the computer system to apply as a fail to a vehicle! Therefore there all getting put down as pass and advise to cover our *****!

The information has been decided they told everyone what there going to bring in, now it's just all the legal side they have to sort out before it comes into effect! Should of just waited till it was finalised before shouting about it

It's ok it's very confusing times at the minute for MOT's. If you go to the VOSA website you can view the MOT manual online for free but some of the items listed as fails aren't currently on the computer system to apply as a fail to a vehicle! Therefore there all getting put down as pass and advise to cover our *****!

The information has been decided they told everyone what there going to bring in, now it's just all the legal side they have to sort out before it comes into effect! Should of just waited till it was finalised before shouting about it
The 3 months "grace period" didn't make any sense to me - cars have an MOT annually so it would only be a "grace period" for those lucky enough to have an MOT due date in Jan, Feb or Mar - which means it wouldn't be applied fairly to all owners, and hence be grounds for a judicial review. To me if there's any need to have a "grace period" for owners, then it would have to be a year.

So maybe it was always going to be a "grace period" for MOT testers and inspectors, not owners?