MPG DIS? LOL

dannyh1991uk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
How can this computer show this...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389825729376558

And this computer show this (Ps- This increases whenever i fill up) :s really strange...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389825738913000

The first picture is your average consumption for the journey, the second pic looks like a pic of the consumption at the time of the pic being taken?

Reactions: dannyh1991uk
Ahhh thats why aha... Im looking in my manual and i never realised that lol.... Sometimes its on 200mpg but never realised thats when its just ticking over
I feel stupid now lol :(

Lol if you got that in an S3 I'd not be bothered about having to own a diesel for the 500mile commute I do every week lol

If that is your temperature after it's warmed up you need a new stat, that should increase the mpg.
A stat can wear and be as low as 75 deg in vcds, but the dash gauge can still show 90 deg.

What's you got to get that MPG? I was happy with my 50MPG is motorway driving to London!

Slow, casual and careful drive to work last weekend. Car in question - 57 plate 2.0 TDI 140 3 door manual. Not remapped. Was pretty shocked, aimed to get 55MPG on my journey but kept going up so I tried to see how high I could get it.

You'll also see 3 dashes ( --- ) when you come off the accelerator, that means it's not using any fuel at all - but also makes the MPG figure rise over prolonged periods

I.e if you drive down a very long hill using the engine to slow down it'll also show strange MPG figures. It's worked out by distance travelled and fuel used/injected

Nice, think most I saw was 60MPG on a run into London, 79 I. Cruise control.

Yours is an auto lee sorry doesn't count haha.

Reactions: LEE69
I work out my MPG on every tank of fuel, I'm getting about 46 at the moment. How does that compare to your MPG per tank?

My driving is mostly motorway, with some stop start at each end.

My tank randomly told me 720 miles to empty from last fill. It was v power, and im on a run to portsmouth tomorow, would be nice to get home with 1/4 tank left lol

If that is your temperature after it's warmed up you need a new stat, that should increase the mpg.
A stat can wear and be as low as 75 deg in vcds, but the dash gauge can still show 90 deg.

Had the car just over a week, had a new cambelt done at Audi before i picked it up..
I think it slowly heats up compared to my old petrol Seat Ibiza i just got sold... But never had a diesel so i dunno how to compare it lol. Plus while its warming up iv been keeping it light on the accelerator.
Heats up to around 90 (halfway) and then sitting with it ticking over i think it drops to about a quarter

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390132025533706

This is the coolant level on a cold engine...
Just wondering why it would be overfilled when i brought the car :s

How hards the thermostat to replace?

Had the car just over a week, had a new cambelt done at Audi before i picked it up..
I think it slowly heats up compared to my old petrol Seat Ibiza i just got sold... But never had a diesel so i dunno how to compare it lol. Plus while its warming up iv been keeping it light on the accelerator.
Heats up to around 90 (halfway) and then sitting with it ticking over i think it drops to about a quarter
Yes that is a stat needing replacing mpg should improve nicely :)

Sorry yes the diesels do take longer than petrol to warm up.If you use android you can buy a bluetooth sender and the torque app to keep an eye on the car not as advanced as vcds but for £10 total a right bargain.

Aha just took off the return pipe and drained the coolant into a container untill it was on the max line... Bit strange BMW (where i brought the used car from) filling it too much :/
Heard my thermostat should be ok cuz the cabin doesnt take long to warm up :s ... But still shouldnt warm up to 90 (halfway) then drop to a Quarter whilst ticking over should it? :/ lol
Damn i have iPhone lmao and only bluetooth in the car is my aftermarket sony stereo :/
Cant i get a cheap £10 vcds cable from ebay to do it?

Yeah return pipe will do it lol
No stat needs replacing imho, should be rock solid at 90.Might be a dodgy CTS too :/
No they £10 one isn't canbus afaik cheapy android phone £20? then sender and app.

What's that all about mate ? Anything like that for iphone ?

Si

Yes dash command but you need a wi-fi bluetooth sender as the iphones bluetooth is errrrm crap unlike android ;)

But still shouldnt warm up to 90 (halfway) then drop to a Quarter whilst ticking over should it? :/ lol

In a diesel, yes it could...

In the colder months when you're dragging all the heat out for the interior it can actually lower the engines coolant temperature on tickover.

Diesels are highly efficient in both terms of fuel consumption and heat loss

If you where to start up and leave it sat on tickover it could take an hour or even more to get up to 90deg especially during the winter!

On the other hand, if it's dropping very quickly when it's not so cold outside then your stat could be stuck open... But you'd also normally struggle to get 90deg whilst driving

Reactions: dannyh1991uk
Thanks, that helps a lot...
Just drove on the motorway for like 30mins and was on 90 degrees...
Now iv been parked up like 10-15mins its only very slightly dropped.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390159436381617

This is where vcds or an app comes in damn useful

Stick your heater on max heat & max fan speed and a diesel sat on idle with little/no load (electrical etc) will lower its coolant temp...

How much it lowers can depend on outside temp, or how hot you can handle the cabin temperature!

Reactions: LEE69
Aha i will do when i drive home... I got bored of waiting in the car so went inside for a cup of tea :) lmaoo... Update you when i get home lol

I can't honestly recall mine ever dropping.
Every one needs vcds

Lol dont worry about it dude, still think i should keep an eye on things and see how it goes lol...
Aslong as anything happens within the 3 month warranty period it should be ok lol

mine does take loads of time to heat up, but after it reaches 90° it wont drop.
after work straight to the gym and spend 1 hour and 30 min and it will drop like 45-50°.
Are you guys warming it up in the morning before heading to work?

That means getting up earlier than I already do... I've mastered the art of get up and be out the door in about 15 minutes so far which includes a coffee.

same hear but 15 min includes, 3 min shower, 4 min toilet + facebook/ebay, 2 min teeth valeting :D, 4 min to get the shirt on fiddle with the tie :p, 2 min coffee and the PROTEIN SHAKE breakfast :p

Ha mines all that apart from a tie and definitely not one for a protein shake lol. Although I include trousers usually...